HPA Hopefully it's getting closer.

9 hours ago, Esko 270 said:

I'm not sure what either of those mean. It was an article about the bill for the hearing protection act going to Haslam's desk.

Won't keep you out of Leavenworth, ya know.

- OS

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, chilmonty said:

So what does passage of this (assuming Haslam Signs) mean for buying or owning a suppressor in TN??

It means that you must seek approval of the ATF and pay the $200 tax to buy or own a suppressor in TN.

1 hour ago, chilmonty said:

So what does passage of this (assuming Haslam Signs) mean for buying or owning a suppressor in TN??

Like Garufa said, nothing changes for acquisition.  It does mean that you can. No longer be arrested by locals for possession.  

Actually, the TN HPA aligns state law with federal law if the HPA passes. 

Supressors are only legal under NFA in TN. If supressors were dropped from NFA, then all supressors in TN would be illegal.

Short answer

If the federal HPA passes, then state law will be ready to accept it. If it doesn't, nothing changes.

Long answer

There was a law on the books here in TN that made suppressors illegal unless they were tax-stamped under the NFA. This bill removed that state-level restriction.

Before this bill, an unstamped suppressor was a violation of both state and federal law. Now it's only a violation of federal law.

Without this bill, we Tennesseans would still have to get an NFA tax stamp to comply with TN state law if the federal HPA becomes law. This new bill removes that requirement.

1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

Short answer

If the federal HPA passes, then state law will be ready to accept it. If it doesn't, nothing changes.

Long answer

There was a law on the books here in TN that made suppressors illegal unless they were tax-stamped under the NFA. This bill removed that state-level restriction.

Before this bill, an unstamped suppressor was a violation of both state and federal law. Now it's only a violation of federal law.

Without this bill, we Tennesseans would still have to get an NFA tax stamp to comply with TN state law if the federal HPA becomes law. This new bill removes that requirement.

Again, y'all are leaving out the fact that under current state law, you can be arrested, and taken to trial for having a silencer.  Your stamp is a defense to prosecution in court.  

EVEN IF NOTHING HAPPENS AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL, getting rid of the DTP language in our state is GOOD thing.  And supposedly, Todd Rathner and the NFAFA will be looking to do away with the DTP language for the rest of the NFA items in TN next session. 

• Like 1

It's kind of like how having an HCP is a defense to prosecution. Technically, an officer could arrest any of us HCP holders because we actually are violating state law by being armed. Then the judge would dismiss the case when we present our HCP as a defense to prosecution. In the real world, that would never happen, and neither would being prosecuted under the now-defunct state law with an NFA-stamped suppressor. In the end, the result is the same.

58 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

It's kind of like how having an HCP is a defense to prosecution. Technically, an officer could arrest any of us HCP holders because we actually are violating state law by being armed. Then the judge would dismiss the case when we present our HCP as a defense to prosecution. In the real world, that would never happen, and neither would being prosecuted under the now-defunct state law with an NFA-stamped suppressor. In the end, the result is the same.

Never say never. Happened in Texas before the laws were changed there. All it would take is an officer to be a dick and he could follow the letter of the law and ruin a bunch of people's lives with how the law is written now. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened with NFA items. I had an officer at a TWRA range tell me she would confiscate my silencer if she seen it. I told her it was registered. She said she didn't care and that I would have to get it back from the ATF if she seen it.

This is a little off the topic but if you guys are in to suppersers you should go watch Sigs new YouTube video about why now is the time to buy. I'm not sure if they're making a good point or just trying to sell more suppressors.

5 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I know a ton of cops that aren't well versed in nfa law.   To think that one wouldn't understand it all isn't a stretch.

4 hours ago, Garufa said:

So did this actually pass and was signed into law or is everyone just theorizing and obfuscating?

Yes, it has passed in the house and senate and awaits a governor signature.  

This was one of the few decent and clean pro gun bills that went through the legislature this year.  Nice for people who have suppressors to have one less stupid law to have to worry about.  Whoever lobbied the legislature on this did a great job.  We need them to lobby the legislature on the carry restriction side.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, Esko 270 said:

This is a little off the topic but if you guys are in to suppersers you should go watch Sigs new YouTube video about why now is the time to buy. I'm not sure if they're making a good point or just trying to sell more suppressors.

Link?