I found a Mosin.. in disguise..

I have been watching around kind of wanting to pick up a good deal on a Mosin Nagant. I was not looking for rarity or a matching number collector gem, just one that goes bang consistently and 1/2 way accurately. I was having no luck locally so I kept my eye out online. I didn't really need it, so I was not going to overpay for it.

A little bit back I ran across one on Gunbroker that was on the low end and had a few days. It was not original and it looked like our friend Bubba had had his way with it. So I threw on a bid figuring I would get out bid. To my shock, I didn't. So at the end I saw it close at $155. I figured at least I could move the barreled receiver to a good stock.

It finally came in a couple days ago. It was better than I expected. It has been transplanted to a Monte Carlo stock. Looks like a good job. But Bubba decided that a black stock required a tacticool rail. So a rail is mounted in place of the rear sight. I quickly hit eBay and have a rear sight on the way for $3. Looks like the pin was replaced with a bolt in the same diameter, so hopefully it is just a drop in swap. The bayonet is fully functional. I ran a few rounds through it for a function check and it seem to work well.

I found that since I grew up hunting with a .303 Enfield that this was like an old friend aside from the loading. I need to get some stripper clips to help that long. No wonder people love these. They are simple, functional, and fun. My only change would be is that I wish this was the Archangel stock that has removable mags. That is where I like the Enfield better, but I hear mixed reviews on the mags for the Mosin.

So here it is in all its glory ( cue the horrified, moaning collectors lol). 

2017-05-02%2016.30.08_1493757097505_resiI Notice now that I did not get the end of the barrel and sight in this shot, but is is there.

2017-05-02%2016.30.37_1493757096657_resi

2017-05-02%2016.31.02_1493757095364_resi

Edited by Ronald_55
  • Like 3

M53 from the C.A.I import markings on it. I can't quite see what is hid below the rail. I got my new sight in and tried to remove the allen bolt only to have the head break off at the slightest pressure. Looks like the bolt is aluminum. Oh well guess I drill it out if I cannot get the other end to turn.

These are the markings. Boy I hate how ugly these are

mosin%20marking%20on%20breech_clean_zpsbk4s2l2h.jpg

2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

You have a Chinese Type 53 which is the chinese version of a Mosin M44.  Still a pretty good deal for you! 

Yeah, I don't know a wide range of info on them, but my understanding is that the m53 is less desirable for collectors unless it is in tip top shape. Probably why this one got re-stocked. 

Yeah, I had been seeing $200 or more for ones with cracked stocks and pretty rough condition. I feel like I made out well.

Interesting note: I thought this rail was a Bubba home job, but looking around I see that it is probably one that Aim Sports sells to mount a long relief scout scope to the Mosin. I still prefer to put it back to iron sights for now, but I might have to hold onto it in case I change my mind.

3 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Yeah, I don't know a wide range of info on them, but my understanding is that the m53 is less desirable for collectors unless it is in tip top shape. Probably why this one got re-stocked. 

Yeah, I had been seeing $200 or more for ones with cracked stocks and pretty rough condition. I feel like I made out well.

Interesting note: I thought this rail was a Bubba home job, but looking around I see that it is probably one that Aim Sports sells to mount a long relief scout scope to the Mosin. I still prefer to put it back to iron sights for now, but I might have to hold onto it in case I change my mind.

Yes they are are less desirable for collectors.  I think a lot of that has to do with numbers and condition.  The Chinese rifles are rough.  I know mine is.  But it cleaned up (bore) pretty nice.  The rest I just consider to be character. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...