Closed

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I like that.  That's a nifty placement of the level.  

At first I thought the same thing but then I thought about it some more.  Can the spirit level be checked without coming out of the gun?  I would think not.  Once you've established cheek weld and cleaning everything up to send the shot it seems it would be impossible to check down there for cant  without disturbing your position.

1 hour ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

At first I thought the same thing but then I thought about it some more.  Can the spirit level be checked without coming out of the gun?  I would think not.  Once you've established cheek weld and cleaning everything up to send the shot it seems it would be impossible to check down there for cant  without disturbing your position.

Not sure a scope mount is much better for that. I have to break cheek weld on mine, and it's a scope mounted Vortex. Easy to see if you don't have a scope in your eye.

7 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Not sure a scope mount is much better for that. I have to break cheek weld on mine, and it's a scope mounted Vortex. Easy to see if you don't have a scope in your eye.

I too have a scope mounted level on a Vortex scope.  On mine and can glance over and see it with my off eye without breaking cheek weld.  Everyone is a little different on things like this.

40 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I too have a scope mounted level on a Vortex scope.  On mine and can glance over and see it with my off eye without breaking cheek weld.  Everyone is a little different on things like this.

Been a little while since I did that kinda shooting. Level check for me happens after I quit moving the gun around, before final cheek weld. If I get the gun level and take note, I can keep it there while I do the last few things. The main purpose of a level is to keep you from lining up with unlevel ground.

4 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Been a little while since I did that kinda shooting. Level check for me happens after I quit moving the gun around, before final cheek weld. If I get the gun level and take note, I can keep it there while I do the last few things. The main purpose of a level is to keep you from lining up with unlevel ground.

I will agree with you on this but I have on occasion thought I had done nothing to significantly change anything only to look over and see otherwise.  Then again my wife thinks I'm more than a half bubble out of level just about all the time.

• Admin Team
7 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I will agree with you on this but I have on occasion thought I had done nothing to significantly change anything only to look over and see otherwise.  Then again my wife thinks I'm more than a half bubble out of level just about all the time.

That's a problem no equipment will fix :)

I'm kind of surprised that no one has made a high end scope with a level inside the tube.  It seems like you could even make it so that it was at the top of the field of view or someplace unobtrusive.  

I expect you could even do it with a mirror and red dot in a way that if you can see the dot you're level - if not you need to adjust.  

13 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Can the spirit level be checked without coming out of the gun?  

Yes I can check the level without coming off the gun.    Once I have spotted my target through the scope all I have to do is look down and then reengage the target through the scope.  I never leave my check weld.

Edited by The Legion
6 hours ago, The Legion said:

Once I have spotted my target through the scope all I have to do is look down and then reengage the target through the scope.  I never leave my check weld.

If this is possible then I'm liking that feature.  I'm thinking I may have to add a Masterpiece Arms BA rifle to my bucket list of guns to get.

8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

That's a problem no equipment will fix :)

I'm kind of surprised that no one has made a high end scope with a level inside the tube.  It seems like you could even make it so that it was at the top of the field of view or someplace unobtrusive.  

I expect you could even do it with a mirror and red dot in a way that if you can see the dot you're level - if not you need to adjust.  

Someone makes one, seen an article about a scope with an internal bubble level. The article was a long time ago but I do remember.

26 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I know where there's one for sale

Thanks man, that's not what I needed to hear.  I said I was adding it to my list which means there are others that may be of more importance than a Masterpiece Arms BA at this time.  Well since you mentioned it, what caliber and which end of the state is it located?

1 hour ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Thanks man, that's not what I needed to hear.  I said I was adding it to my list which means there are others that may be of more importance than a Masterpiece Arms BA at this time.  Well since you mentioned it, what caliber and which end of the state is it located?

OK...I'm an idiot. I thought we were chatting up a classified thread, :)  I guess this one isn't for sale.

Edited by mikegideon
2 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

If this is possible then I'm liking that feature.  I'm thinking I may have to add a Masterpiece Arms BA rifle to my bucket list of guns to get.

You can purchase just the MPA BA Chassis System from Masterpiece Arms.  They have many different models to choose from.   Here is a link. http://masterpiecearms.com/cat/mpa-bolt-action/mpa-ba-chassis-systems/

• Like 1
9 hours ago, mikegideon said:

OK...I'm an idiot. I thought we were chatting up a classified thread, :)  I guess this one isn't for sale.

No worries.  I have other goodies on my short list and don't need to know if something like this is up for consideration anywhere near me.