AR pricing help please

I know there are a bunch of AR guys here, so help me out if you can.

I've got these two AR-15s in my friends collection that I'm having trouble getting reliable pricing information on. Both are older guns.
Sorry, no pics as I don't have the guns here. I'll try to describe them as best I can.

DPMS AR-15, pre-ban, .223/5.56, 16" barrel, old style fixed carry handle & tall front sight, adjustable butt stock, round hand guard.
I called DPMS and all they can tell me is it was made somewhere in the early 90s.

Colt AR-15, Match Target, Light Weight, 7.62x39, made 1995, 16" barrel, fixed carry handle & tall front sight, solid A1 type butt stock, round hand guard. 

I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Well you did ask, they are worth no more than what someone will pay. I say look them up on the auctions sites, good place to start. Then put a price on them, if it is fair they will sell. The price of ARs are dropping since Pres Trump got in to office.

Well, that's the problem. The similar Colts aren't selling and the DPMS is a long discontinued model. Asking prices are all over the place on anything even close. Just trying to get in the neighborhood of a fair price without going too low or too high. 

I know you have probably already looked, but the 2017 Standard Catalog of Firearms states the post ban Colt Match Target Lightweight is valued at 900 nib, 800 exc, and 650 vg. Take that with a whole spoon of salt though with the way prices are diving.

I do not see a definite match for the DPMS there. 

• Like 1

If the DPMS is a true preban I would put it on an auction site so those from ban states can get some bids in. Or, tell your friend to hang onto until the next "crisis" and then dump it for a lot more. If it were not preban it would be worth around $600. With it being preban it is hard to say but right now is not a sellers market.

5 hours ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

If the DPMS is a true preban I would put it on an auction site so those from ban states can get some bids in. ...

Gordon, could be wrong, but I don't think that preban firearm figure into any of the restricted states laws anymore. Nor even preban mags AFAIK?

Even "pre ownership"doesn't, as all have had registration dates that have come and gone?

- OS

A search of completed listings on Gunbroker shows preban DMPS lower receivers SELLING for as much as $900 with most in the $700-$800 range.

Here is a preban DMPS that SOLD for $1,315, definitely higher than any other current production DPMS carbine. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/623548425

Here are listings of completed auctions of preban DMPS guns. All are higher than current production guns so there definitely a premium to be paid for preban firearms and magazines. http://www.gunbroker.com/All/Completed%2FBCI.aspx?Keywords=preban&Timeframe=1

Preban Glock magazines sell for well over $100. Preban Norinco AKs sell for $2K+ now.

Preban PNW stripped receiver sold for over $1,000. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/626921152

Preban makes a difference in price.

Holy Cow! :eek: I'll need to take another look to be sure, but I think that's the same rifle he has. And here I was thinking that I'd do good to get $500 for it.  According to the seller's description, anything under serial # 10300 is  pre-ban. The rifle we have is #7XXX and looks brand new. 

I'm just not an AR guy. Never really liked them since Uncle Sam handed me a M-16A1 way back in 1972. Don't know much about them and never cared to learn. That's why I asked. Thanks for the info. :up: 

• Like 1

Ok, wadaminit. Are you saying that I can only expect the high price if I sell outside our state to a buyer in a one of the more restrictive ones? I'm trying to sell as much of this stuff as I can in state just to avoid such hassles. What do you think I can get for it here?

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Ok, wadaminit. Are you saying that I can only expect the high price if I sell outside our state to a buyer in a one of the more restrictive ones? I'm trying to sell as much of this stuff as I can in state just to avoid such hassles. What do you think I can get for it here?

Yes. That's exactly what they are saying. Local prices are going to be more inline with your original thoughts. 

Anything labeled as pre-ban adds little or more like nothing to the fair market value in these parts.  You may have someone that happens along and think they are getting something rare but that someone will be a very rare find as well.  It's perfectly legal to make or purchase these now in the so called pre-ban configuration so what would one be gaining around here?

13 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

does pre ban mean grandfathered for states where such a firearm is now illegal to own in it's original configuration? 

If so, now I understand why a premium could be had for buying in anti gun states

Pretty sure that is correct.  However, the registration requirements now in place in many of those same states may make it moot...but I don't know for certain and the liberal lawmakers are a savvy, crafty bunch.

Edited by Garufa
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Pretty sure that is correct.  However, the registration requirements now in place in many of those same states may make it moot...but I don't know for certain and the liberal lawmakers are a savvy, crafty bunch.

Again, I know of no assault weapon ban states where you can own one just because it was made before 9/13/94. AFAIK, all those type loopholes are sewn shut now.

- OS

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Again, I know of no assault weapon ban states where you can own one just because it was made before 9/13/94. AFAIK, all those type loopholes are sewn shut now.

- OS

I'm pretty sure folks in MA can still buy full cap Glock mags if they are preban. I see them selling for a premium occasionally. But I think you're right that it doesn't apply to actual weapons.