showing off the latest (non-gun) project

Been scarce around here because of school, work, and this demonic pond project.  Cheapest bid from a contractor was quoted at $4,000 +/- (which we all know would have been 25% more after they started).  Highest bid was $11,000.  I said screw a bunch of that, watched some videos on youtube and figured out how to do it myself.  The pond was just trashy looking, it had probably close to 5 tons of river boulders piled up around the edge (contractor was probably laughing all the way to the bank after installing it).  My disabled ass removed literally everything except a single boulder (can't move it, it's too big - used a 7" stone cutter to cut rings around it, drilled holes, used a sledge and chisels, and even (literally) melted a bit behind a 70# jackhammer and the damn thing wouldn't crack).  Employing some neighbors for plan B on it Wednesday.  Brought in 2 tons of flat rock to replace it with.  Anywho, in at a total of $825 for everything and that includes some new tools/toys I had to buy. Looks pretty good now, just needs some plants to soften it up and some in the pond to provide shade for the koi.

This is it mid-project (forgot to take before pic)

18401877_10208889235772943_7343088709577

And today:

18320651_10208889236492961_9019833102152

No more projects this year.  Am done with doing anything except mowing lol.

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 13
34 minutes ago, Sam1 said:

Been scarce around here because of school, work, and this demonic pond project.  Cheapest bid from a contractor was quoted at $4,000 +/- (which we all know would have been 25% more after they started).  Highest bid was $11,000.  I said screw a bunch of that, watched some videos on youtube and figured out how to do it myself.  The pond was just trashy looking, it had probably close to 5 tons of river boulders piled up around the edge (contractor was probably laughing all the way to the bank after installing it).  My disabled ass removed literally everything except a single boulder (can't move it, it's too big - used a 7" stone cutter to cut rings around it, drilled holes, used a sledge and chisels, and even (literally) melted a bit behind a 70# jackhammer and the damn thing wouldn't crack).  Employing some neighbors for plan B on it Wednesday.  Brought in 2 tons of flat rock to replace it with.  Anywho, in at a total of $825 for everything and that includes some new tools/toys I had to buy. Looks pretty good now, just needs some plants to soften it up and some in the pond to provide shade for the koi.

This is it mid-project (forgot to take before pic)

18401877_10208889235772943_7343088709577

And today:

18320651_10208889236492961_9019833102152

No more projects this year.  Am done with doing anything except mowing lol.

Very nice work! I like and approve!

• Like 2
On 5/8/2017 at 7:59 PM, TrickyNicky said:

That looks way nicer and less hide holes for snakes and rodents. :up: 

Yeah, removing those boulders opened up the pond by almost two feet across, so you can only imagine how hard it was to keep the frogs away.  I put foam everywhere there was a decent sized hole on top of that, so hopefully it will keep most of them away.

2 hours ago, Gunter123 said:

Looks good. Do you plan to add some plants around or on it?

yes, in the pond there will be some cat tails (gets rid of algae), some type of flowering lily to create shade for the fish.  There will be a few smaller plants (not sure what yet) at the bottom towards the retaining wall, and on the top of the retaining wall I forget what the names of the flowers will be that were in there before but I'm going to put a few groups of them in that area.  Not going to put anything around the rim of the pond itself because I'm dropping a lighting system in and don't want to block it.

When can I come over w/ my fishing pole!? :D

Looks great man, far better than previous.

You should charge people for that kinda work.... that's how I started laying block/landscaping on the side. Got tired of helping friends out for beer.

- K

• Like 1

No way I'm doing it for other people, i've got an artificial hip (took 4 surgeries to get that right) and going in for a total knee replacement in a few weeks.  Had some difficulty doing this one, so no way I would put more wear and tear on my body for a few free beers, or extra bucks lol.  Am more than happy to stand around, drink gatorade and supervise people though :)

17 hours ago, RC3 said:

Are you going to place a fake rock to hide the electrical plug?

didn't really think about it much.  Not sure what code requirements are for electrical like that but it's got the 110v for the pond and a 220v for camper hookups, so I don't know what could be done with it.

2 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

A lot of strip malls and apartment complexes near me are using these to hide water or electrical boxes so that it is "more aesthetic" It is better than burying them where you have to dig them up.

And would you be willing to 'appropriate' a few ?  I'll pay the going craigslist rate for stolen faux boulders :P