Female cardinal banging on my window... how to stop?

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Uhhh...How about a SCARECROW.......Sorry couldn't resist.

On a serious note, look at the Scarecrow brand motion activated sprinkler (assuming the garden is within a reasonable distance from a water spigot).

59 minutes ago, Ski said:

On a serious note, look at the Scarecrow brand motion activated sprinkler (assuming the garden is within a reasonable distance from a water spigot).

Sounds great, but my garden is a loooooooong way from a water source.

I've heard you could shoot one and tie him to a post, and the others would stay away. The problem is, they always seem to have a lookout posted, and I haven't had any luck shooting one yet.

6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I've heard you could shoot one and tie him to a post, and the others would stay away. The problem is, they always seem to have a lookout posted, and I haven't had any luck shooting one yet.

I popped one once with a pellet gun in my backyard.  Knocked him from high out of the tree.

It was a mistake.

Within seconds dozens appeared and all started squalking....extra loud.  Thought I was gonna have to move at that very second.  Neighbors were coming out their doors and small children started running.  Those birds have some weird mojo.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I popped one once with a pellet gun in my backyard.  Knocked him from high out of the tree.

It was a mistake.

Within seconds dozens appeared and all started squalking....extra loud.  Thought I was gonna have to move at that very second.  Neighbors were coming out their doors and small children started running.  Those birds have some weird mojo.

My garden is at the edge of my shooting range. Neighbors aren't a problem. I'd like to bag more than one if possible.

10 hours ago, jgradyc said:

Let's see if this works.  It's a smartphone suction mount with zip ties to hold the CD far enough away from the car to rotate in the breeze. 

:cheers:

cd.jpg

This worked. I put one on both cars and both kept the cardinal away. The CDs on the plate glass windows were less successful, but 2 out of 3 worked. I'll put a second CD on the window she likes best and see if that works.  At least both cars are now clean.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, RED333 said:

Crows are some smart birds, study was done on them. Seems the bird can count.

http://www.cappersfarmer.com/humor-and-nostalgia/crows-can-count---at-least-to-16

Crows are indeed some of the smartest birds. Black vultures are quite smart as well. 

A dead crow on the ground won't deter a crow. You might try stringing up some caution tape between posts around/through the garden. 

I had the cardinal problem in the past on a bedroom window. Solution was to smear glass wax on the outside of the glass and let it haze over and leave it. This blocks their reflection and they go elsewhere. When they have been gone for awhile wipe off and you have a clean window as a bonus.

• Like 2

we had a cardinal last year, I think it was the same one from the previous year. She ended up taking a dirt nap. Have a blue bird now that's attacking the front window sporadically. Hopefully she will calm down soon.