Richard Overton turns 111 with cigars,whiskey and new street name

I have done quite a bit of reading and studying on those who live past 100. One study I read suggests that once you reach about 95 your body sort of quits aging.

Hope he lives a lot longer, anyone making it out of WWII alive deserves a long, happy life and from the sounds of it he is definitely enjoying his.

The last person I remember reading about swore it was drinking that kept them alive so long. Maybe that is the key, sitting down to relax with a cigar and alcohol.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Sunfish said:

Notice how thin he is

Probably why he's lived so long.  He's probably been thin all his life because chances are he's lived an active life style.  You don't see too many obese people who are 80 plus years old.  Some of this is probably due to muscle atrophe due to several age related reasons.

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2017 at 7:57 AM, MP5_Rizzo said:

Probably why he's lived so long.  He's probably been thin all his life because chances are he's lived an active life style.  You don't see too many obese people who are 80 plus years old.  Some of this is probably due to muscle atrophe due to several age related reasons.

My great grandmother was a pretty hefty lady until she got to be, oh, probably in her late '80s.  She lived to be 96 and would have lived longer except she had an accidental fall that lead to her death, not old age.

Good for Mr. Overton for enjoying his cigar and his life!

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, JAB said:

My great grandmother was a pretty hefty lady until she got to be, oh, probably in her late '80s.  She lived to be 96 and would have lived longer except she had an accidental fall that lead to her death, not old age.

Good for Mr. Overton for enjoying his cigar and his life!

Genetics and just plain old luck (or statistical probabilities) works in mysterious ways.

My Grandfather lived to 101 and his brother my great uncle live to be 100 and they both made moonshine back in the 30's and 40's and drank it most of their lives, both smoked home rolled cigarettes most of their lives and chewed tobacco. They grew up doing hard work operating big farms they both owned and they grew all of their own tobacco they smoked and chewed. They also ate  99% of the food they grew or raised and butchered and only bought things like sugar, meal and flour. Everything else came from their gardens or pastures. They both credited longivity to the moonshine, home grown tobacco and not eating store bought food but living off what they raised and grew.............Don't know how true that is but can't say it's not true either................:cheers:

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, JAB said:

That's certainly true.  Just 'ask' Jim Fixx.

Kind of hard to ask him since he's on the south side of the grass but I get what you're saying.  I had a long time classmate and college roommate that was the epitome of health.  Active athlete and having an occasional beer was his only vice.  He dropped dead of a heart attack at 44 years old.  You never know!

15 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

The Good Book says you are not guaranteed your next breath and I am thankful for every one of mine..............:cheers:

I was reading through Matthew just last week, mentions something about not knowing when the master will return...

• Like 2

I think a perdon's heart rate has a lot to do with it. The average person's heart beats 2.2 billion times in their life. If a person is overweight or in poor physical condition or have some other stressor in their life then their heart beats faster. And, I believe, that is the key factor in dying of "old age". 

My resting heart rate, according to my FitBit, is 57 bpm but I can also meditate it down to below 45. I try to do calming/breathing exercises as often as possible and have been doing them for several years now. I also try to be as sedentary as possible when possible. Hopefully it helps but who knows. 

I have also read that another factor in how long you will live is how much you eat. There is a lot of data that suggests that if you eat as little as possible you will live longer versus eating more. And I am not talking about over eating but eating more than a starvation diet. 

• Like 1

It is my understanding that, biologically, the reason we die of 'old age' basically comes down to oxidation.  If oxygen weren't necessary for metabolism we might live forever (barring other fatal conditions or injuries) - so all that darned breathing is slowly killing us.  Of course, attempting to stop all that darned breathing would only hurry us along all that much faster.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I don't believe it is GODS will that anyone lives forever. Back in Biblical times people lived well over 100 years but if people lived that long now the earth would be very very over populated and the earth would not be able to feed and support that kind of population. I still believe that GOD has a plan and I never doubt him and what his plan is but accept what I cannot change in my life as his will....................JMHO

• Like 1
On 6/13/2017 at 6:06 PM, Dolomite_supafly said:

I think a perdon's heart rate has a lot to do with it. The average person's heart beats 2.2 billion times in their life. If a person is overweight or in poor physical condition or have some other stressor in their life then their heart beats faster. And, I believe, that is the key factor in dying of "old age". 

My resting heart rate, according to my FitBit, is 57 bpm but I can also meditate it down to below 45. I try to do calming/breathing exercises as often as possible and have been doing them for several years now. I also try to be as sedentary as possible when possible. Hopefully it helps but who knows. 

I have also read that another factor in how long you will live is how much you eat. There is a lot of data that suggests that if you eat as little as possible you will live longer versus eating more. And I am not talking about over eating but eating more than a starvation diet. 

Found a Life Expectancy calculator based on heart rate bpm:  http://www.csgnetwork.com/avglifeexpfromhr.html

My bpm averages in the mid 50's.  Based on this calculator it says I "should" make it into my late 80's but who really knows except the man above.