Memphis In May

Next weekend my sister, her husband, and I will be going to Memphis In May for the BBQ contest. I read that guns are banned from Tom Lee Park so my question is do they search you or have metal detectors at the entrance?

Thanks.

It's a city park. As per state law, permit holders can carry in city parks.

Is this one of the parks that Memphis claims is not really a park or something, like the Chilhowee Park mess in Knoxville or something?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
42 minutes ago, FortKnox said:

Next weekend my sister, her husband, and I will be going to Memphis In May for the BBQ contest. I read that guns are banned from Tom Lee Park so my question is do they search you or have metal detectors at the entrance?

Thanks.

Last year I went to BSMF (Sunday) and the BBQ contest (Thursday).  They were searching bags at the entrance for BSMF, but no one was checking for weapons on body.  The ticket conditions for BSMF did prohibit guns, so I did carefully observed the ticket taking and "screening" process before going through.  I don't recall whether it was "posted", but I don't think it was.  I went for lunch on Thursday for the BBQ contest, and security was very lax.  I suspect they tighten up a little on Thursday night or Friday.

20 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

It's a city park. As per state law, permit holders can carry in city parks.

Is this one of the parks that Memphis claims is not really a park or something, like the Chilhowee Park mess in Knoxville or something?

- OS

I think that law is the reason they do not bother screening closely.  As far as I know Memphis' only battle against the law is Beale Street.  They seem to have given in to state law in the parks. 

There were metal detectors at FedEx Forum for the last Grizzlies' game.  I think that's standard NBA policy.

I hope that helps.

7 hours ago, FortKnox said:

Thanks for the help guys. Now we're doing the BBQ on Friday and going to do something else in the city on Saturday.

So, what is there to do/go in Memphis BESIDES Graceland?

If you haven't been to the zoo in the last ten (10) years, I would recommend that.  They also don't allow weapons, but I do not believe they were legally posted the last time I was there.  They definitely weren't searching.  Saturday should be "safe" but busy.  For others' reference Tuesday is a free (or pay what you can) day, and that's when you're more likely to run into crowds of riff raff.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Ski said:

If you haven't been to the zoo in the last ten (10) years, I would recommend that.  They also don't allow weapons, but I do not believe they were legally posted the last time I was there.  They definitely weren't searching.  Saturday should be "safe" but busy.  For others' reference Tuesday is a free (or pay what you can) day, and that's when you're more likely to run into crowds of riff raff.

If you do visit the zoo, there is plenty of free parking in the streets and neighborhoods adjacent to the zoo with only a short walk to the entrance.  Utilizing that will help you avoid the long line of cars trying to get into the zoo parking lot. In addition, it will help prevent you being directed to parking on the greensward.  Which is part of the grassy "park" area of Overton Park. This is an issue as much contention within the city of Memphis. So if you go, please don't give the zoo five dollars to have them have you help ruin a very important and historical park. 

Also, while I am sure zoo management would much prefer you not to bring firearms on premises, they do not post in any way shape or form that can be considered legally enforceable. I used to carry with no issue when I held a zoo membership. 

Edited by Chucktshoes

I do not think people had to go through metal detectors to go to the BBQ competition.  It is in a park so you should be legal to carry.  If you go to Beale Street in the daytime, you don't have to go through metal detectors.  The Gibson guitar museum is there.  Go check out the lobby of the Peabody Hotel and have a snack.

The zoo would be good to go to.  You can also drop in the Brooks Museum by the zoo.  The Pink Palace is also good to see.  Bass Pro in the Pyramid has a nice observation deck that you can see all around the river area.  Overton Square has some good restaurants.  There are a couple good breweries in Memphis that offer tours.

• Like 2

There's a host for local bars down on Broad.  Lots of locals of all ages enjoying brew and food hang there. All the above mentioned places are good.  Just pay attention to where you are.

Bass pro has an awesome Beretta collection/display and a Ducks unlimited History with nice Shotguns, hand made calls and such.  Even if your not a duck hunter it's interesting to see actual 2 gauge 56 inch barreled goose guns from the 1800's.  Made my shoulder hurt looking at them.

Yeah, right now we're waiting out a storm at a BBQ tent that was nice enough to feed us and give us booze.

Anyways, they looked in my sisters little handbag and had the brother inlaw and me lift up our shirts to check our waistband. Jokes on them, the gun was in my pocket. :biglol:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, FortKnox said:

Anyways, they looked in my sisters little handbag and had the brother inlaw and me lift up our shirts to check our waistband. Jokes on them, the gun was in my pocket. :biglol:

Thanks for the update.  I didn't go to either this year.  I wonder if they were doing that for the BSMF, too.  As I mentioned, they didn't do that last year.