SpyderCo Civilian

Back story on the knife copied from SpyderCo's website:

"In the 1990s Spyderco was approached by a specialized branch of U.S. law enforcement about making a knife for their undercover agents. These plain-clothes LEOs found themselves in situations where they often could not carry a firearm but carrying a knife was not a problem. Most had no formal training in self-defense tactics or MBC but as a last resort could use a blade to protect or extricate themselves from a life-threatening situation. This was how the Civilian model came to be.

The Civilian has a patented reverse "S" blade that's intended to be used like an oversized claw. The tip is ground to an ultra-thin profile. Deeply curved and full at the belly, the VG-10 ground blade excels in slicing and is available fully SpyderEdged. Because of its distinctly specialized features it is not intended or designed for general utility or everyday use. Curved in all the right places for ergonomic use and retention of the knife, the handle is black G-10. A two position cliip supports discreet tip-up or tip down carry on the right side.  One of the most specialized CLIPITS in the Spyderco line-up, the Civilian is available in limited quantities."

5 minutes ago, z0mbies fear me said:

Back story on the knife copied from SpyderCo's website:

"In the 1990s Spyderco was approached by a specialized branch of U.S. law enforcement about making a knife for their undercover agents. These plain-clothes LEOs found themselves in situations where they often could not carry a firearm but carrying a knife was not a problem. Most had no formal training in self-defense tactics or MBC but as a last resort could use a blade to protect or extricate themselves from a life-threatening situation. This was how the Civilian model came to be.

The Civilian has a patented reverse "S" blade that's intended to be used like an oversized claw. The tip is ground to an ultra-thin profile. Deeply curved and full at the belly, the VG-10 ground blade excels in slicing and is available fully SpyderEdged. Because of its distinctly specialized features it is not intended or designed for general utility or everyday use. Curved in all the right places for ergonomic use and retention of the knife, the handle is black G-10. A two position cliip supports discreet tip-up or tip down carry on the right side.  One of the most specialized CLIPITS in the Spyderco line-up, the Civilian is available in limited quantities."

Still does not explain how it makes it a better as a last resort. I see it catching and hanging on the opponents clothing. 

Though, I am biased that I like very little Spyderco makes.

10 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Still does not explain how it makes it a better as a last resort. I see it catching and hanging on the opponents clothing. 

You may dislike their styling. But, they have a real knack for sharp edges. That thing would make one helluva defensive blade. It's not gonna get hung up in clothing. It's gonna cut right thru it, as well as any skin and muscle that's in the way. Get the tip in as deep as you can, and just yank it out.

• Admin Team

Yep.  The Civilian has a good record of getting the pointy end engaged just about any way you choose to run it.  It's single ground, too - so once it hooks up it's going to slice.  Then, the blade shape is designed to cut deeper as it continues It's arc - even if the person deploying it instinctively or defensively pulls away. 

It really has a very limited use case - but it's really good in that lane.  

50 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Yep.  The Civilian has a good record of getting the pointy end engaged just about any way you choose to run it.  It's single ground, too - so once it hooks up it's going to slice.  Then, the blade shape is designed to cut deeper as it continues It's arc - even if the person deploying it instinctively or defensively pulls away. 

It really has a very limited use case - but it's really good in that lane.  

This is the first time I have paid attention to it. It really is a great self defense blade for the untrained. Looks like it has lots of inspiration from the Police. I may have to get one.

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, Ronald_55 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karambit

Historically the Karambit has been used as or compared to a claw, I consider the Spyderco Civilian a more specialized refinement of the Karambit. If I had get someone off of me in order to save my life and didn't have a firearm on me then deep gouging blade slashes resulting in massive blood loss will do it. If you've ever seen someone who's been cut up in a knife attack you could probably better understand the Spyderco Civilian design.

• Admin Team

No, it's the classic spyderco big thumbhole.  Maybe it because I've been using a Spyderco in some form or fashion since my first Rescue in the early 90's, but I prefer them to assisted opening or auto alike. 

9 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

No, it's the classic spyderco big thumbhole.  Maybe it because I've been using a Spyderco in some form or fashion since my first Rescue in the early 90's, but I prefer them to assisted opening or auto alike. 

Yeah, me too. Springs are cute, as long as they're not out to get you. I prefer flippers or thumb studs over anything, but prefer my Spydies over my spring assisted or autos.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, TNWNGR said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karambit

Historically the Karambit has been used as or compared to a claw, I consider the Spyderco Civilian a more specialized refinement of the Karambit. If I had get someone off of me in order to save my life and didn't have a firearm on me then deep gouging blade slashes resulting in massive blood loss will do it. If you've ever seen someone who's been cut up in a knife attack you could probably better understand the Spyderco Civilian design.

I understand the Karamit. I have looked into it before. The ring on the end is a key point for it though. 

Maybe this works great. It just does not appeal to me. 

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

I understand the Karamit. I have looked into it before. The ring on the end is a key point for it though. 

Maybe this works great. It just does not appeal to me. 

It kinda has an obnoxious attitude. :) 

• Like 1

Great looking knife! Nasty little nick. I have one that does this to me on occasion as well, it's a Benchmade Balisong that is razor sharp. I have pretty much given up on carrying it as it has cut me more than anything else.....and yes I realize it's operator error :)

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I love the G-10 scales on the civilian - but the FRN on the Matriarch cuts a lot of weight and is plenty robust in its own right.

I love love love the Emerson Wave feature on the Matriarch 2.  If you've never used a knife with that feature - it gets the blade into action faster than just about anything out there.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bud said:

Does the Matriarch still come with the free box of maxi pads? :dirty: 

JK :) I thought about saving the money too, but was too tired last night to do a thorough comparison between it and the Civilian, so I just stuck with the Civilian. I'll be interested to find out the differences.

Matriarch has an FRN handle, but still has a VG10 blade. I like the FRN handles. I have several. They're grippy

3 hours ago, bud said:

Looks like yes. 1/2" shorter. 3 5/8 and 4 1/8. Haven't looked at the FRN handle @mikegideon mentioned yet. I did glance where the Matriarch 2 has a thicker blade, and I guess the v2 is when they added the Emerson Wave

I tried to look at the blade length, and ran out of time. The civilian, like the police, is over 4", which would have been illegal here not so long ago.

Hickok45 carries a Delica, which has the same basic FRN lockback handle as the Matriarch.

On 5/18/2017 at 10:27 PM, bud said:

Glad to hear it. Bmore won't allow auto or assisted opening, so always careful what I pack. They have some dirk and dagger specific language, and I'm sure this one is a design the city would frown on, but I think it's technically acceptable. About to pull the trigger on one. Amazon $161 and free shipping. Thanks for posting @z0mbies fear me!

Be very careful buying knives from Amazon, check what store it comes from and research them, I have had 2 knives to sharpen over the last year that were clones, the one was a  Spyderco and the second another brand,Sog I believe

Both bought from them

• Like 2