Wife is now a certified gun-owner...

Took her up to Hero-Gear yesterday afternoon with some money, and came home with a nice RIA 1911, the Tactical Loaded model:

Misty_s_1911.jpg

She couldn't be happier!

I want to publicly thank Joe and Dan at Hero Gear for making my wife's first gun-buying experience so satisfying and fun for both of us!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something is missing!

Where is the report on how well she shot?

Hopefully we'll get her and the RI to the range this coming weekend... Didn't have time yesterday. She's taking her HCP class this month on the 23rd.

She says she wants to carry a big gun :shrug:... My baby doesn't fool around...

I'll probably end up giving it a good fluff & buff after she shoots it, the feed ramp has a bit of friction... it had a couple of hang-ups hand-feeding HPs. The Novak mag it came with is nice, I was going to give her a bunch of el' cheapo 7rd SA mags that I had, but it didn't seem to like those, so I'll definitely end up getting several more Novak mags...

I have 3 holsters for the 1911, she's already picked out one... a Bianchi, but she was eyeing the Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig that Joe had on the rack in that all-too-familiar way...

"Baby! It matches my purse!"...

I'll probably end up giving it a good fluff & buff after she shoots it, the feed ramp has a bit of friction... it had a couple of hang-ups hand-feeding HPs.

I have seen RIs that had a feed ramp misalignment that caused that. Basically, the bottom of the ramp was too high. It's fixable, but if the new gun has that problem, you might get the dealer to get it fixed for you under warranty. Just put in a magazine with a round in it and see how the alignment is for the ramp to the round. Harder to explain than to do. They turned out a batch of RIs like that about three years ago.

I have seen RIs that had a feed ramp misalignment that caused that. Basically, the bottom of the ramp was too high. It's fixable, but if the new gun has that problem, you might get the dealer to get it fixed for you under warranty. Just put in a magazine with a round in it and see how the alignment is for the ramp to the round. Harder to explain than to do. They turned out a batch of RIs like that about three years ago.

Interesting... I'll have to look for that. When I had it apart, the feed-ramp cut into the frame is generous, but not polished... The barrel ramp (if it can be called that on a mil-spec gun) looks normal. We'll see how it handles the first few hundred cartridges, and then go from there. Thanks for the info... good to know that if it has this problem, they'll be aware of it.

If you put a 3 year old RIA next to a new production guy, you wouldnt believe they came from the same factory.

There has been a major improvement in the fit, finish, and quality of these guns, started about the same time they started producing guns for STI.

Gotta love the trickle down effect their relationship with STI has had.

I continue to be amazed at the value these guns represent, and will go on record in saying these are actually BETTER GUNS than the more expensive Springfield Armory GI and MilSpec guns.

**Disclaimer

I carry a minimum of 24 1911s at all times, from makers such as SigArms, Smith and Wesson, Dan Wesson, RIA, Colt, Springfield Armory, Taurus, and Wilson Combat (Im a Master Dealer for Wilson)

So, is the RIA as nice as a Wilson? no. But it IS nicer than every other sub-600 1911 available in the market today!

I was impressed with this RI... The last time I had looked at one (couple years ago), they were pretty crude.

I don't even remotely expect to have any problems aside from those which normal break-in and some polishing will smooth out... my SA Mil-Spec didn't feed HP by hand right off the bat either, and I'll agree that the internals on this RIA are at least as nicely finished as it was. Side-by-side with the Springfield G.I., this RIA was obviously a better gun, with upgraded parts which one normally finds on a gun $200 more expensive. I should know... I bought a SA Mil-Spec 3 years ago for the same price as this RIA, and then paid a smith $200 to bring it up to the level that this RIA is configured out-of-the-box!

I might just have to ask to shoot a couple rounds through that nice RIA Tactical when I see you guys...

Where's the "drool" smiley on this thing???

The only thing that the RIA tactical needs is a trigger job. I looked at that particular gun when Joe got it in. The trigger is clean and crisp, but a little heavy.

Yeah, feels like 8lb.

To be quite honest though... I think that it will make her a bit less worried about having an unintended discharge. Then, when she's used to shooting the gun, I'll get it smoothed up, and lightened a bit; but not much... she wants to carry it.

My Mil-Spec ended up with a 3.75lb trigger... she did just fine with it.

That makes sense. I've always been used to 4lb triggers in my 1911s. She IS going to be carrying it cocked and locked isn't she???

But, of course! :shrug:

I'm going to get her used to it being on her hip, first, in condition 3... but just around the house. Once her permit comes, I plan to have her acclimated to Cond 1 carry.

That RIA tactical is nice... I want one myself now.

My father in law borrowed my 1911 once. He saw it cocked and asked me if it was loaded. I told him that it was. He said, "I'm not going to carry a cocked gun around, could you lower the hammer?" I promptly dropped the magazine out of it and racked the slide ejecting the live round. I then checked the chamber to make double sure it wasn't loaded, dropped the slide, and then lowered the hammer. I put the magazine back in it and handed it to him. I said "Here's your rock" and he looked at me with a puzzled look on his face. I then explaned to him that a gun without a bullet in the chamber is about as usefull as a rock. I told him that I didn't recommend carrying around a gun with the hammer down on a loaded chamber unless it was designed to be carried that way (guns with decockers and double action triggers). I also informed him on the dangers of lowering a cocked 1911 hammer with one in the chamber. I also told him that he'd probably be in trouble if he actually had to pull the gun and then take time to rack the slide. I still think that it fell on deaf ears. Maybe I'll get through to him someday. I got through to my wife and when she carries, she carries a gun that's ready to go bang.

A reasonable approach.;)

But, of course! :up:

I'm going to get her used to it being on her hip, first, in condition 3... but just around the house. Once her permit comes, I plan to have her acclimated to Cond 1 carry.

That RIA tactical is nice... I want one myself now.

About the only bad thing I can say about the Rock Island is that it isn't exactly a "standard" 1911. Some of the pin holes are in a slightly different location than on the normal 1911s.

The gun is good enough to not need any modifications, but if you want to accessorize with something like a new beaver tail, it won't fit without a little gunsmithing.