Wife is now a certified gun-owner...

A-Hem, I thought I shot rather well today actually. Thanks to everyone for all the support :confused: Joe, thanks for the great deal. I love my 45!

Glad you like it Misty :D

FYI: I gave my wife a RIA 1911 Compact last week for our anniversary.

We need to get you guys together and go shooting :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something is missing!

Where is the report on how well she shot?

Well, we went up to On-Target as soon as they opened Sunday and got a lane to share.

We brought several pistols, including her RIA 1911, and about 100rd for each. She did very well... 7yd slow-fire resulted consistent 9-ring hits (B-27 silhouette), right off the bat. :D Once she got used to it, most shots were going in the 10-ring, with very few flyers outside of the 8... (kicking myself now for throwing away the targets...).

Out of 120rd, the RIA had 2 malfunctions... both failures to return to battery the final 1/8" because the case-rim was not under the extractor, both occurred with the same magazine, which, after checking it, had bent feed-lips and a worn follower (it wouldn't even lock the slide back)... it wasn't the factory mag. The factory Novak 8rd mag ran flawlessly. I think that I'll consider the gun's record clean... since the problem was obviously the magazine.

I'm going to throw out all of these old SA 7rd magazines... they are pretty much crap. Time to get her a few more Novak or Wilson mags...

Other than that, the gun ran flawlessly with ball and JHP ammo (had 25rd of UMC 230gr JHP on hand, along with the 100rd of 230gr ball).

Now I've just got to teach her how to field-strip and clean this thing...

I got to shoot about 30rd through it... it was nice, smooth, and very accurate. It shot a bit low, but my wife is wanting some different sights anyways... so we'll tweak that then.

I got her to try my Sig and XD, as well... She didn't care for the blast of .357sig out of the P239... but she loved my XD... now she wants to use IT for her HCP class :D

Excellent report. Btw, the course on the 23rd includes a unit on cleaning. The way we usually work it is that students will clean the gun they bring to shoot. We'd prefer the student know how to field strip prior to class, but no biggie if she doesn't -make sure y'all bring the MoA and we'll get it done.

Well, we went up to On-Target as soon as they opened Sunday and got a lane to share.

We brought several pistols, including her RIA 1911, and about 100rd for each. She did very well... 7yd slow-fire resulted consistent 9-ring hits (B-27 silhouette), right off the bat. :up: Once she got used to it, most shots were going in the 10-ring, with very few flyers outside of the 8... (kicking myself now for throwing away the targets...).

Out of 120rd, the RIA had 2 malfunctions... both failures to return to battery the final 1/8" because the case-rim was not under the extractor, both occurred with the same magazine, which, after checking it, had bent feed-lips and a worn follower (it wouldn't even lock the slide back)... it wasn't the factory mag. The factory Novak 8rd mag ran flawlessly. I think that I'll consider the gun's record clean... since the problem was obviously the magazine.

I'm going to throw out all of these old SA 7rd magazines... they are pretty much crap. Time to get her a few more Novak or Wilson mags...

Other than that, the gun ran flawlessly with ball and JHP ammo (had 25rd of UMC 230gr JHP on hand, along with the 100rd of 230gr ball).

Now I've just got to teach her how to field-strip and clean this thing...

I got to shoot about 30rd through it... it was nice, smooth, and very accurate. It shot a bit low, but my wife is wanting some different sights anyways... so we'll tweak that then.

I got her to try my Sig and XD, as well... She didn't care for the blast of .357sig out of the P239... but she loved my XD... now she wants to use IT for her HCP class :2cents:

Guest BigBoostDSM

What's the wait period like down here? I bought my gun when I lived in IL and it was 72 hours for handguns. Is it shorter here?

What's the wait period like down here? I bought my gun when I lived in IL and it was 72 hours for handguns. Is it shorter here?

Takes me about 10 minutes usually. There is no real wait, just as long as it takes for your NICS check.

Ah! I didn't know that was you! Now that I look more closely at your username, it all makes sense! Se you next Sat!

-L

Thank you Len, I'll come prepared.

Tnroadrunner is correct. After we say "you passed," you have to go give your $ to the state at the DMV, then get your fingerprints done, then wait for the state to do its thing. Usually 4-6 weeks, although some get it sooner. (Although it often SEEMS longer!) See you on the 23rd!

-L

Hahaha, I thought you knew :popcorn: I'm excited about the 23rd. How long after completing the course can I carry?
Guest BigBoostDSM

Anyone know if the wait period for purchasing a gun and or recieving your HCP is longer for a Canadian citizen with US residency? I plan on becoming a citizen in a year or so when I can afford it but until then I have to deal with the extra stuff.

I don't expect any of you to know I just figure I'd throw it out there. I do know for sure that I can get my HCP, I called the state and asked.

This came up on another board about an Australian. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is anything special in Tennessee Code to prevent you from getting a HCP except that they do require you to give your Social Security number. But I'm guessing that you have one.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b13

(B13) May aliens legally in the United States buy firearms?[back]

An alien legally in the U.S. may acquire firearms if he has a State of residence. An alien has a State of residence only if he is residing in that State and has resided in a State continuously for at least 90 days prior to the purchase. An alien acquiring firearms from a licensee is required to prove both his identity, by presenting a government-issued photo identification, and his residency with substantiating documentation showing that he has resided in the State continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser’s place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses.

See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,†in the General Information section of this publication.

[18 U.S.C. 921, 922(:D(3), (d) and (g), 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.99(a)]

Guest Phantom6

From the Tennessee Department of Safety-

Any resident of Tennessee who has reached twenty-one (21) years of age may apply to the department of safety for a handgun permit. If the applicant is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm in this state pursuant to §39-17-1316 or §39-17-1307 (:D, 18 U.S.C. 922(g) or any other state or federal law and the applicant otherwise meets all of the requirements the department shall issue a permit to the applicant.

QUALIFICATIONS

Applicants are required to be a resident of the State of Tennessee;

Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;

Applicants shall not have been convicted of any felony offense punishable for a term exceeding one (1) year;

Shall not be a fugitive from justice;

Shall not have been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

Shall not be an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States;

Having been a citizen of the United States, applicants shall not have renounced their citizenship;

Shall not be currently the subject of any order of protection;

Shall not be an unlawful user of or addicted to alcohol or any controlled substance;

Shall not have been a patient in a rehabilitation program or hospitalized for alcohol or controlled substance abuse or addiction within ten (10) years from the date of application;

Shall not have been adjudicated as mental defective; has not been committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution; has not had a court appoint a conservator for the applicant by reason of a mental defect; has not been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of a mental illness, development disability or other mental incapacity; and has not, within seven (7) years from the date of application, been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, as defined in T.C.A. § 33-6-14, because of mental illness;

Shall not have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as defined in 18 U.S.C.A. 921 (33);

Shall not be receiving social security disability benefits by reason of alcohol dependence, drug dependence or mental disability;

Shall not have been convicted of the offense of stalking;

The applicant has not been convicted of the offense of driving under the influence of an intoxicant in this or any other State two (2) or more times within ten (10) years from the date of application and that none of such convictions has occurred within five (5) years from the date of application or renewal.

Didn't see anything about being a Canadian citizen residing in Tennessee.

Read it for yourself here

Guest BigBoostDSM

Yea, I knew I could get the HCP I made sure to call the state and ask about that. They said I just had to show proof of residency and I have a green card, social security number, and I'll be getting my TN DL once I'm settled in.

I know I won't be able to buy another gun for 90 days, but at this point I have no intenitions (Nor money) to do so for quite some time. The only thing I'm worried about is having to wait 90 days to apply for my HCP as I'd like to get it ASAP.

Thanks for the links guys, any comments on if I'll have to wait to apply for the permit?

Well, you have to be a Tennessee resident. I don't know how the State defines that. I'd call them and ask, but I'd guess that if you have a DL, you are a resident. You have to list your residences for the past five years. You do have to list your driver license number. I suspect that once you get the DL, you are OK to take the course and apply.

Yea, I knew I could get the HCP I made sure to call the state and ask about that. They said I just had to show proof of residency and I have a green card, social security number, and I'll be getting my TN DL once I'm settled in.

I know I won't be able to buy another gun for 90 days, but at this point I have no intenitions (Nor money) to do so for quite some time. The only thing I'm worried about is having to wait 90 days to apply for my HCP as I'd like to get it ASAP.

Thanks for the links guys, any comments on if I'll have to wait to apply for the permit?

I would expect that you could take a HCP class anytime you want... You'll just have to wait the prescribed amount of time to establish residency in the state of TN (which I believe is correctly stated as 90-days), to send in the application.

You can take the carry permit class now.

Just show proof of residency (utility bill in your name, etc) & green card (proof of being in USA legally) and you're set. You dont even need to show all that to take the class, just to get the permit. Plenty of guys here are out in east TN and can tell you the good places to go.

Guest BigBoostDSM

So I don't have to wait 90 days to establish residency? I see both answers lol. I was thinking that the 90 days was only to purchase a gun and that you were a resident of the state as soon as you had your DL there. Anyone care to clear that up or should I call the state again?

My girlfriends step dad has his permit and he loved the instructor he used, I don't know who it was but I'll probably end up there. I'm taking the course with my girls mom :D

Thanks for your help, sorry to hijack the thread.