Bought an odd one today!

www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/BM59/BM59_SantaFe_Flyer.pdf

At an estate auction, on a whim, I bought an M59 Santa Fe. TO my eye, it looked all the world like an M14, and I've never seen one sell for $200 before. Also, I have a stash of 308 ammo and reloading paraphernalia, and no 308.

I guess it's made up from parts like a rewelded Garand frame and such. I'll pick it up Monday evening, and can tell more about it then.

Looking at the few priced on the internet, I didn't do too bad.

Anybody know anything about these?

It should be built on modified (not re-welded) Garand receiver.  Parts are reasonable just now.  Magazines are very well made and excellent design.  Sadly, they are not interchangeable with anything else.  For $200 you practically stole it!! 

These are nice .308 rifles.  They are reliable, accurate, and very well-made.  IIRC, Santa Fe imports were built by Beretta.  If you don't like it, I'll let you double your money by selling it to me!!!

• Like 1

I thought you and maybe a couple of others would know. I didn't really know what it was, but thought it looked an awful lot like an M14. I also bought an M5a1 bayonet I assume would fit it. I'm anxious to get it home and really check it out.

• Like 1

IMG_4998_zpsxsjinskt.jpg

IMG_4999_zps8o04utar.jpg

IMG_5000_zpsa1bjlumo.jpg

IMG_5004_zpsugzvkkp4.jpg

IMG_5001_zpssjozomzs.jpg

I haven't shot it yet, but here it is. It looks like Bubba's been ahold of the magazine, but it seems to work o.k. I believe Sarco has them in stock. There is a takedown tool, bore brush, pick, and grease can in the stock under the buttplate.

So what is your opinion on firing commercial 308 ammo in this? The brochure I saw claimed that 308 ammo with any weight bullet would work fine, but the action is stamped 7.62 NATO.

• Like 2

My limited research (about two minutes of googling) leads me to believe you should really check the receiver to make sure it's not a re-weld.   

It is a 7.62x51mm rifle, not .308.  Kinda the same thing with shooting .30-06 out of an M1.  Dimensionally more or less identical but far greater pressure out of the commercial round.   Was not designed for the pressure....long story short. 

BTW, that is the complete oppposite of 5.56x45mm.  In that case the commercial version is lower pressure.

• Like 1

Great Find, That is Definitely something to be Proud of, especially at that price!! I haven't been to an Estate sale in 8 to 10 years. You've inspired me to give it another try in Hopes of finding a Hidden Treasure like yours... Good Hearing Protection will be an added Bonus to have when firing this Beauty. I Hope you enjoy it..

12 minutes ago, Garufa said:

What are he markings on the heel of the receiver?

This 

It's either a heavily modified Garand receiver or some kind of commercial Garand/M14 hybrid. 

However the lockbar rear sight alone is worth $100 or so. 

I would have have scooped that up for $200 in a heartbeat. 

Edited by i1afli

I don't know much about these magazine guns but your going to want to control the gas with a Schuster or something. This being a non-standard gun I have no idea what it will stand pressure wise. M1's were powder and bullet weight specific. For example 150 gr. Ball with 4895 or 4064. I would stick to 147gr.  7.62 x 51 ball ammo and stay way from .308 Winchester with the heavy stuff like 168's and 180's until you can control the gas or you could bend the op rod. It could already be bent and that could be the reason it sold so cheap. There's a M14 mechanic in Madison named Ronnie Morris if he is still alive you might let him examine the rifle before firing it to be safe. 

On 5/20/2017 at 1:44 PM, gregintenn said:

Looking at the few priced on the internet, I didn't do too bad.

On 5/20/2017 at 5:48 PM, 1gewehr said:

For $200 you practically stole it!! 

I just looked around and found there are not too many of these up for sale.  The ones I did find are in a totally different league price wise. You did VERY WELL!  Good for you, I hope it's a shooter.

1 hour ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I just looked around and found there are not too many of these up for sale.  The ones I did find are in a totally different league price wise. You did VERY WELL!  Good for you, I hope it's a shooter.

Sorta what I thought. I didn't know exactly what it was, but I did know it didn't look like a $200 rifle. Like they say; a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.:D