Can I have some homemade mashed taters and gravy with this crow?

Man, I'm gonna get beat about the head and shoulders, but... at least I'm able to admit when I'm wrong.

Many of you have heard me express my dislike of the M&P series. I now have a .45 Shield on my hip.

:leaving:

Wound up trading my trusty Glock 36 in. This feels better, holds one more round, shoots better and more comfortably...

... proceed with the beatings...

• Like 6

I don't own a S&W .45 ACP Shield but I've handled a couple and shot them, I did own a Glock 36 and shot it a fair bit. I feel like the Shield is a ergonomically a better feeling pistol and comes to a natural aiming point more easily. I'm so-so on the trigger but don't consider is a deal breaker. Overall its a nice pistol. 

31 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I have thought about getting a 9mm shield just because of the price. Probably best bang for the buck of any single stack 9 right now

I can't think of a better value. I'd rather have the Shield over the G43 anways and you know I'm a big Glock fan.

Congrats, Mikey! You'll have to tell me this story on my next trip up. I haven't had a 45 Shield, but as has been mentioned, the current pricing sure makes it tempting.

As I said after last weeks range session, I shot my 9mm Shield better than the G19 and the Gen2 M&P 9 5" I brought. Yeah, still thinking on that one.

But as a long time Shield fan, and the owner of several(another long story), I really consider them to be one of the best, almost pocket guns out there.

Yeah. I really need another pistol.:wall:

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats, Steelharp.  The Shields are great.  I have a Performance Center 9 Shield, and am getting a PC 45 tomorrow.

I am also a fan of the regular M&P line and have almost every flavor of those, too. What many folks don't realize is that the mediocre/poor and inconsistent of the standard M&P line is not an issue with the Shield line. Completely different trigger in the Shield.  Even the standard, non-PC models are pretty good.  I really like the ported barrel on the PC models so I spring for those.  

What kind of accuracy are you gettting with your 45 Shield?  Does it shoot like a small gun, or are you getting similar groups to your full-sizers?

Edited by musicman

Same as full size. I really am amazed at how mild it is for a small .45. Much tamer than the G36 I traded off for it. Don't understand how S&W did that. It hasn't become my favorite carry yet, but I can feel it tugging me in that direction. It's making me look at the 2.0 line, which I wouldn't have considered before.

8 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

It's making me look at the 2.0 line, which I wouldn't have considered before.

It's why the Shields are discounted right now, it's not like they don't sell on their own. Make the smaller version enticing enough to try, then the buyer considers the bigger version too. 

• Like 1

I've had a 9mm Shield since they first came out.  At the time I said, "Too bad they don't make one without the safety."  When they started making them without the safety, I bought one.  I said, "Too bad they don't make it in .45."  Then they made the .45, and last month I bought one of them.  I am going to replace the front sight with something more visible, but aside from that I don't know what improvements I would want.

Cheers,

Whisper

I've had a 9mm Shield since they first came out.  At the time I said, "Too bad they don't make one without the safety."  When they started making them without the safety, I bought one.  I said, "Too bad they don't make it in .45."  Then they made the .45, and last month I bought one of them.  I am going to replace the front sight with something more visible, but aside from that I don't know what improvements I would want.

Cheers,

Whisper

Got the 45 shield, replaced the sights with hiviz fiber optic and added the Apex duty carry trigger kit which dropped the trigger pull to 4.5 lbs. Hoping mag guts makes a plus one or plus two mag extension should be coming out soon. Anyway enjoy your 45 shield, I recently did the advance pistol course and the shield performed flawlessly after 150 rounds of shooting with no problems very soft recoil compared to the kahr pm45

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried many small 9mm and always come back to the Shield. I tried to like the G43 more but don't. I have small hands and it just fits and points well. I have yet to hear of a bad review of the 45 Shield. I do not need another 45 but am seriously considering this one. Starting to thin the herd a bit so this one may find a spot in the stable.

28 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

I have been contemplating the ported .45. If shot from a low position in a defensive situation is it going to fill your eyes with powder?

Probably not but it might singe you eyebrows.

I recently picked up a .45 Shield as well, and I have to agree with you, Steelharp - this is a fantastic little gun!  I find that it shoots almost as accurately as my 1911 commanders, and that's saying something.  The recoil is *much* less than it should be for a small, polymer .45 - noticeably less than my XDs .45 with a 4" barrel.  And I absolutely love the aggressive grip texturing!  

No doubt, this one's a keeper!

• Like 2