Fishing Paris Landing

My girlfriend's family has rented a cabin at Paris Landing state park this weekend. I figured I may bring the boat along and have some time to sneak out to fish. I'm very familiar with Kentucky lake around the Perryville area, which is where we camp but I'm not familiar with the Paris Landing area. Anyone know of any good creeks or spots I should visit first? Are there any good bait shops on the river within a few miles of the park? I primarily bass fish and hope to drag a few out from under all those boat slips. Any tips from the locals is appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Only fished there once or twice due to the distance, but when I did I was amazed at the size of the sunfish I was catching.  I had been stationed in Savannah GA so the bluegill and crappie were pretty small, when I got here and seen that the crappie had to be 10" I thought that was it for eating any crappie.  But there I was pulling up bluegill and shell crackers pushing 10" and got my limit of crappie too along with a couple of keeper bass.  All I have is a jon boat so I just went up the river a bit hitting the inlets on the way up and down going no further than 4 or 5 hundred yards, maybe a bit further.  I put in at the first dock I seen, just this side of the river coming from Clarksville on the right hand side.  I met of with a few boats coming from further up the river and most had about the same stories, good size fish everywhere.  One thing though, careful about the end of the boat ramp, there was a big drop there last time and had to go into 4x4 to get back out with an empty trailer. 

9 hours ago, glowdotGlock said:

My girlfriend's family has rented a cabin at Paris Landing state park this weekend. I figured I may bring the boat along and have some time to sneak out to fish. I'm very familiar with Kentucky lake around the Perryville area, which is where we camp but I'm not familiar with the Paris Landing area. Anyone know of any good creeks or spots I should visit first? Are there any good bait shops on the river within a few miles of the park? I primarily bass fish and hope to drag a few out from under all those boat slips. Any tips from the locals is appreciated.

I hope you enjoy fishing KY lake for sure. There are a couple places to fish just out side Paris Landing. If you turn right and head towards the bridge you will see a few rocky points that drop off fairly fast into deep water. I have taken some nice Smallmouths off those point with a spinnerbait. The Bridge pillons will also hold some fish but the boat traffic is going to be very bad through that stretch. 

I have not been on that lake in about 15 years and last time on it was Memorial Day weekend to Fish a 2 day tournament event out of KY lake Dam Launch. Worst mistake of my life. It was like trying to fish in a washing machine on wash cycle continously. Many boats came back to weigh in with damage to them. The only damage I had was bruised Kidneys and no boat damage.

I think everyone that had anything related to a boat was on the water that weekend and the big cruisers had no mercy on any one fishing or trying to fish.

Just be careful and enjoy the weekend. My boat will be staying in the carport this weekend.  I have had a few buddies ask me if I was going out on Old Hickory and I just smiled and said it's gonna rain and I might melt. They got the hint.........:cheers:

You hitting Paris at a great time! That place is loaded with bluegill and shell crackers. They should be on the beds big time. I've fished Eagle Creek with great success, but you can hit any of the back coves, look for the shallow water and you'll find beds. 

If he is going shell cracker fishing he will have a blast if he finds a bed of them for sure. Over the years I have found that I enjoy eating Shell Crackers more than Crappie. The big ones had a lot more meat on them when you filet them. When I go for them I take light or ultra light tackle and make it more challenging..........lol