My hunting rifle project

• Moderators

I'm a city kid. Never been hunting in my life. Just not part of my upbringing. Consequently, my intro to guns was in the military and then the tactical/EBR era. Well, I've been thinking about getting a bolt action rifle for a minute and @robtattoo's for sale thread on that custom 280AI was the catalyst for me to get off my duff and get to it. (I came very close to getting it, but that weirdo caliber scared me off.) So after a little research I bought myself a Montana Rifle Company ASR in 308. It's got the absolute best trigger I have ever felt. It doesn't feel like it moves. It just breaks at 3#. It's nuts. The bolt design of the Model 1999 is a mixture of the Model 70 and the Mauser. She's a beautiful piece of work. I'm getting a killer discount on the optic from a friend of mine, but it's going to take a few weeks for that to come in. It's going to get a Nightforce NSX 3.5-15x50 MILR. My intent is to build a rifle that will forever be able to exceed my abilities. Here is the link to image gallery. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 7
  • Moderators
34 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Wow, you picked a great platform to start with!

i can't wait to hear how it shoots.  

"Never half ass two things. Whole ass one thing." Ron Swanson

I put a lot of research into my choices here. I also sought out the advice of a small group of friends of mine, some of whom live and hunt out west. 

I cant wait to find out how well she shoots as well. Unfortunately it's not gonna be for at least a month or more before I get the chance to break her in. 

Montana makes some great rifles. I picked up a Montana X2 in .300 Win mag a couple of months ago. You are right about their triggers. I really like mine.  I went with stainless and a Kryptec Banshee Brown synthetic stock and a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15X42 scope. 

Cant wait to hear a range report on yours. 

• Like 1
On 5/23/2017 at 10:06 PM, KahrMan said:

Montana makes some great rifles. I picked up a Montana X2 in .300 Win mag a couple of months ago. You are right about their triggers. I really like mine.  I went with stainless and a Kryptec Banshee Brown synthetic stock and a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15X42 scope. 

Cant wait to hear a range report on yours. 

E! ZEISS!!!!!

and I got to pull the trigger on this one a few times.  It's really something.  I can't tell that it moves at all.  

35 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

E! ZEISS!!!!!

and I got to pull the trigger on this one a few times.  It's really something.  I can't tell that it moves at all.  

The are great scopes.  I have another on my Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308.  The adjustments are extremely accurate and it really holds a zero.

That is one fine stick you got there! Great optic choice! I hope you reload so you can REALLY ring out some of the quality and precision it will produce! We need a range range report with pictures!! ENJOY!!

• Like 1
  • Moderators
11 hours ago, sybo said:

That is one fine stick you got there! Great optic choice! I hope you reload so you can REALLY ring out some of the quality and precision it will produce! We need a range range report with pictures!! ENJOY!!

Unfortunately, I do not. With my job keeping me away from home so much, I just haven't had the time to learn how to do it. 

On 5/23/2017 at 7:35 PM, Chucktshoes said:

My intent is to build a rifle that will forever be able to exceed my abilities.

I lost that battle with a Carcano 6.5 Ital that I bought mail order for $19.99 in 1964.  It's been down hill since.

• Like 3