Another terrorist attack- rhetoric remains the same

10 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Once again we have seen Europe feel the impacts of radical Islam but I can't help but grow tired of the usual talking points. Every time this happens we hear the same catch phrases such as "we will not let them divide us", or "we must remain united". Buzzwords such as "solidarity" are often thrown in the mix as well. Perhaps I'm being too critical but these words just seem hollow to me. 

It seems like no one has any real solutions but are just regurgitating some of the same speeches from previous incidents. This attack has really been bothering me the past few days. The fact that kids are being targeted is beyond comprehension. 

I also can't help but feel like the terrorists are laughing at this reaction while planning their next attack. It may be a few months or a year but you can be assured this will happen again. When it does, I'm sure we will all "stand in solidarity" with our neighbors or friends across the pond.

This attack was just plain ole terrorism. They do it for effect. There will be some numbing over time, so they may need to get a little uglier as time goes on. Then there are the "experts" that are going to prevent it. One of the key elements of successful terrorism is that you can't prevent it. 

Kill em all, and then kill a few more. That's the terrorist's worst nightmare.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I also can't help but feel like the terrorists are laughing at this reaction while planning their next attack. ..

Real problem is that the majority of the attacks in developed countries, "the terrorists" are not some outside force that needs to be prevented from entering the country, but resident nationals/citizens.

Our worst mass shooting by a single person was the same, a native born citizen. (Pulse nightclub massacre).  The "We're All Gonna Die Muslim Travel Ban" kind of pales in importance when the real war seems more about ideology, and you have millions of possible citizen perps.

- OS

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Real problem is that the majority of the attacks in developed countries, "the terrorists" are not some outside force that needs to be prevented from entering the country, but resident nationals/citizens.

Our worst mass shooting by a single person was the same, a native born citizen. (Pulse nightclub massacre).  The "We're All Gonna Die Muslim Travel Ban" kind of pales in importance when the real war seems more about ideology, and you have millions of possible citizen perps.

- OS

FWIW, the guy in the Manchester attack had just returned from Libya, where his parents have resided since Gaddafi got the ole machete suppository. He had also traveled to Syria. So, I would say that there was opportunity for some outside force that could have been tracked.

5 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

FWIW, the guy in the Manchester attack had just returned from Libya, where his parents have resided since Gaddafi got the ole machete suppository. He had also traveled to Syria. So, I would say that there was opportunity for some outside force that could have been tracked.

Everything's a matter of scale and practicality, though.

Just looked and found that "in 2016, a total of 66,960,943 U.S. citizens traveled outside the country, compared to the 61,783,913 who did the previous year. "

About half those were to Canada/Mexico, so say 30 million elsewhere.

Even if you narrow this down to those going to say 10 of the "worst" countries, that's going to be a huge number to try and vet all the time. There's little doubt that our economy has to be suffering significantly since 9/11 just from the burden of overhead from our enormous LE sector, which remember unlike normal "business" costs money without providing any revenue to suppor it.

- OS

1 minute ago, Oh Shoot said:

Everything's a matter of scale and practicality, though.

Just looked and found that "in 2016, a total of 66,960,943 U.S. citizens traveled outside the country, compared to the 61,783,913 who did the previous year. "

About half those were to Canada/Mexico, so say 30 million elsewhere.

Even if you narrow this down to those going to say 10 of the "worst" countries, that's going to be a huge number to try and vet all the time. There's little doubt that our economy has to be suffering significantly since 9/11 just from the burden of overhead from our enormous LE sector, which remember unlike normal "business" costs money without providing any revenue to suppor it.

- OS

We can't pull the numbers out of our butts here. And, I'm not a big chest beater for any kind of screening. Just saying that this one would have gone thru the gates.

I doubt there will be anything done here to change how we are doing things. Trump made an attempt to try and do something but was shut down by Liberal courts. I don't think it would have prevented anything that is going to happen that may be in the plans of the terrorists but at least it was an attempt to put something on the burners for the terrorist to think about. Now with the courts seemingly on the side of the terrorists they know they still can enter as they want to into this country.
As for stopping anything from happening, we saw a good example of how things don't work in San Bernadino when the neighbor of the bad guys suspected something but was afraid to bring it to the attention of authorities for fear of racial profiling. That proves that the statement IF YOU SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING does not work...........JMHO

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

...And, I'm not a big chest beater for any kind of screening.....

There's that cultural gulf too. Witness all the hoopla just over NSA databases. 'Mericuns aren't gonna like an Israeli type soup to nuts security approach on all aspects of life.

1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

The fact remains that virtually all these bad actors have something in common.

Well, you're always gonna have just the random WASP crazies too, like Adam Lanza, Dylan Root, whoever.

- OS

11 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I doubt there will be anything done here to change how we are doing things. Trump made an attempt to try and do something but was shut down by Liberal courts. I don't think it would have prevented anything that is going to happen that may be in the plans of the terrorists but at least it was an attempt to put something on the burners for the terrorist to think about. Now with the courts seemingly on the side of the terrorists they know they still can enter as they want to into this country.
As for stopping anything from happening, we saw a good example of how things don't work in San Bernadino when the neighbor of the bad guys suspected something but was afraid to bring it to the attention of authorities for fear of racial profiling. That proves that the statement IF YOU SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING does not work...........JMHO

Yes, at least President Trump is attempting to do something. The Democrats and many Republicans as well, have just tried to talk it all away. But it just doesn't seem to work for them.

10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The fact remains that virtually all these bad actors have something in common.

Too much truth there. Can't have fingers pointing out the obvious these days.

3 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

There's that cultural gulf too. Witness all the hoopla just over NSA databases. 'Mericuns aren't gonna like an Israeli type soup to nuts security approach on all aspects of life.

Well, you're always gonna have just the random WASP crazies too, like Adam Lanza, Dylan Root, whoever.

- OS

So if you're repeatedly being stung by yellow jackets, you should just ignore them because there will always be a wasp or bumble bee around?:confused:

1 minute ago, Oh Shoot said:

There's that cultural gulf too. Witness all the hoopla just over NSA databases. 'Mericuns aren't gonna like an Israeli type soup to nuts security approach on all aspects of life.Well, you're always gonna have just the random WASP crazies too, like Adam Lanza, Dylan Root, whoever.

- OS

Yep. Just kill them every chance we get, including our crazy white boys.

7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

So if you're repeatedly being stung by yellow jackets, you should just ignore them because there will always be a wasp or bumble bee around?:confused:

There's a thread way back there somewhere. I killed a whole city of yellow jackets in my front flower bed. Only stung me once.

Once again we have seen Europe feel the impacts of radical Islam but I can't help but grow tired of the usual talking points. Every time this happens we hear the same catch phrases such as "we will not let them divide us", or "we must remain united". Buzzwords such as "solidarity" are often thrown in the mix as well. Perhaps I'm being too critical but these words just seem hollow to me. 
It seems like no one has any real solutions but are just regurgitating some of the same speeches from previous incidents. This attack has really been bothering me the past few days. The fact that kids are being targeted is beyond comprehension. 
I also can't help but feel like the terrorists are laughing at this reaction while planning their next attack. It may be a few months or a year but you can be assured this will happen again. When it does, I'm sure we will all "stand in solidarity" with our neighbors or friends across the pond.

What would YOU say on Day Zero of an attack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

Morrissey had some choice words for the British establishment:  http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/05/24/morrissey-slams-petrified-british-politicians-for-not-labeling-manchester-attack-as-islamic-extremism.html

I guess this one of those times when a musician goes off it's a good thing.  :D

That made me happy to see the Moz lay it down like that.