Is there a market for Bubba'ed Enfields?

Mechanically, it looks intact.  You just need  the forward wood and bayonet lug to make it right.  Not undoable but finding decent wood could be problematic.

Check www.libertytreecollectors.com to see what they have.

That's a No. 4 Mk. 1, btw.  Great rifles.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Garufa said:

Mechanically, it looks intact.  You just need  the forward wood and bayonet lug to make it right.  Not undoable but finding decent wood could be problematic.

Check www.libertytreecollectors.com to see what they have.

That's a No. 4 Mk. 1, btw.  Great rifles.

You are correct as usual.

Now what's the trick to getting the bolt out?

I have a fully intact No 4 Mk 1 I remember my dad buying at a pawn shop in Memphis  back in about 1978.  Took it out for it's first go since then last year.  Increadibly soft-shooting rifles.  The .303 round is nearly identical to 7.62x54.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

You are correct as usual.

Now what's the trick to getting the bolt out?

Flip up the thing and maybe pull the trigger.  :lol:

Pull the bolt back and flip the bolt head counter-clockwise and then you just pull it out.  If you look at it for a second it's really a simple design.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Flip up the thing and maybe pull the trigger.  :lol:

Pull the bolt back and flip the bolt head counter-clockwise and then you just pull it out.  If you look at it for a second it's really a simple design.

There's a button that looks like it needs to be depressed to do that, and I can't seem to get it pushed down quite enough.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

There's a button that looks like it needs to be depressed to do that, and I can't seem to get it pushed down quite enough.

Endeavor to persevere.  :lol:

It's been while since I've fiddled with one and ain't going into the safe tonight.  Sounds like you're close though.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

Well I have one that has been cut down. Was my first rifle and given to me by my Papaw. Someone did some nice carvings in the stock. They are great guns. I suggest shooting it some and see if restoring it matters to you later.

• Like 1

I like my sporterized SMLE.

Not an expert! but my internet research revealed the only downside is a worn barrel and and chamber. Not dangerous, but accuracy decreases.

I'd clean it up, shoot it, determine if it's accurate enough for your purposes and go from there.

I don't think restoring to the original look or proceeding with additional sporterization (is that a word?) will add or detract from your investment.

Aim Surplus usually has a good selection of .303 from cheap to match grade, will be waiting on your video...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_minute

Back when I was kid my grandfather gave me a rifle that he said a friend of his down the road had sporterized back many years ago. I took it out with some of the ammo he had left and shot it. After shooting it because the gun shot very good and was very accurate I went to seek out hunting grade ammo for it. I didn't even know what caliber or manufacturer was but the guy at the store knew. He told me it was a 7 MM Mauser and they did have some hunting ammo for it. I was 17 at the time and used it that season for deer hunting. Bagged 3 deer with it and only fire 3 rounds. I went and spoke to the man that had sporterized it and he showed me a 6.5 Japanese rifle and a 6.5 Intalian Carcano that he had also sporterized. The latter of the 2 was the same type rifle that Oswald used to shoot kennedy in 1963 but his was not sporterized. Today when I think about all of the guns the man sporterized and I often wonder what those same guns would be worth today if they were still in original condition?....................:doh:

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Back when I was kid my grandfather gave me a rifle that he said a friend of his down the road had sporterized back many years ago. I took it out with some of the ammo he had left and shot it. After shooting it because the gun shot very good and was very accurate I went to seek out hunting grade ammo for it. I didn't even know what caliber or manufacturer was but the guy at the store knew. He told me it was a 7 MM Mauser and they did have some hunting ammo for it. I was 17 at the time and used it that season for deer hunting. Bagged 3 deer with it and only fire 3 rounds. I went and spoke to the man that had sporterized it and he showed me a 6.5 Japanese rifle and a 6.5 Intalian Carcano that he had also sporterized. The latter of the 2 was the same type rifle that Oswald used to shoot kennedy in 1963 but his was not sporterized. Today when I think about all of the guns the man sporterized and I often wonder what those same guns would be worth today if they were still in original condition?....................:doh:

Another way to think is, how much less would they have been worth to the people using them to put food on the table then?

Same thing could be said for all  the muskets bored out to be sod buster shotguns. Converting military arms to civilian use has gone on for along time.

I hate to see something chopped up, but I understand it.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Another way to think is, how much less would they have been worth to the people using them to put food on the table then?

Same thing could be said for all  the muskets bored out to be sod buster shotguns. Converting military arms to civilian use has gone on for along time.

I hate to see something chopped up, but I understand it.

Yea, the 2 guns I mentioned he showed me were the guns his 2 teenage sons I went to school with deer hunted with and put meat on the table back then. They hunter our ranch with me many times because we had about 1000 acres of timber that backed up to Cheatham County Game Reserve and only thing seperating our land from theirs was Barbed wire fence so we always had plenty of deer back then to hunt.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Yea, the 2 guns I mentioned he showed me were the guns his 2 teenage sons I went to school with deer hunted with and put meat on the table back then. They hunter our ranch with me many times because we had about 1000 acres of timber that backed up to Cheatham County Game Reserve and only thing seperating our land from theirs was Barbed wire fence so we always had plenty of deer back then to hunt.

Wow, I can't imagine having that much space. We might of had 75 acres between everyone around that we had permission from. I hunted for years and never saw a deer during season. Probably one reason I stopped. 

15 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Wow, I can't imagine having that much space. We might of had 75 acres between everyone around that we had permission from. I hunted for years and never saw a deer during season. Probably one reason I stopped. 

Well, that is the way most deer hunting is. Hard to find land that they wil let you hunt and almost impossible today. Back then when I was a kid my grandfather owned the original Petway Farm which was the first farm settled in  the comunity of Petway in Cheatham. The families name was Petway and my grandfather won the place in a card game back in 1932 with hand of small full house. In 1949 he began breeding horses and changed the name from a farm to Petway Ranch and that is when I post something about it I normally will say Ranch/Farm cause he actually raise all kinds of farm animals. There was also another almost 1200 acres of crop land and pasture land and the house my grandfather lived in was the original Yellow Popular Log house that was built in 1851. The Petways actually fought indians out of the upper level of the house and a person can still find great arrow heads and mini balls if you can get permission to used a metal detector and walk around the old house which still stands to this day.

My Grandfathers name was Lee Greer and what use to be the driveway to the house is now a road named after him and it  goes back into the little community that now exists when my parents sold off the ranch after my Grandfathers death. It was sold with conditions that each lot was to be sold in 20 acre tract and the buyer was only allowed 1 house and 1 out building or small barn. No mobile homes are permitted.

My oldest son is buried in the Petway Cemetery s I make regular visits back to the ranch to make sure his grave is being taken care of...............

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Can't see the pics in this thread anymore, so I can't determine if this is just a sporter that has had the furniture modified without any modification to the barrel and sights. If only the furniture has been modified, and you didn't spend too much on the sporter, you can find new old stock or used furniture for the rifle and restore it to original configuration and have a rifle worth close to what it would cost to buy an original condition rifle today. Gunbroker and eBay usually have a lot of stocks for sale, and Springfield Sporters still has some complete stock sets for sale. 

In case you haven't figured out how to remove the bolt yet, you depress the bolt head release button before the bolt is pulled that far back in the receiver. Once the bolt is all the way back, release the bolt head release button and flip the bolt head up into the center of the receiver and pull the bolt the rest of the way out. This is how you remove the bolt on a an Enfield No.4 Mk1 with a bolt head release button. The bolt removal process for an Enfield No.4 Mk1* and a No.1 MKIII are totally different from this and each other.