Please take a little time

I may have made a post similar to this in years past, but I think TGO will indulge me in reminiscing about some lost comrades...

SSG Jeremy Brown- Killed in a vehicle rollover during his 2nd Iraq tour on 3 Jul 2005 (very somber 4th of July that year as we all got the news). Not too long after the 101st came home from OIF 1, he came down on PCS orders to 3rd ACR because they needed to fill the unit for their deployment. He was in the gunners hatch when the vehicle rolled over, and we found that he had put himself up there to give one of his Soldier's a break on a long convoy mission.

SFC Clarance McSwain- Killed in an IED explosion while on a dismounted patrol 8 Jun 2006. "Sergeant Mac" was as generous in spirit a man as I've ever met. I was OPCON to the company he was a PSG in, and even though I was just an attached MI guy, he treated me and the guy I had with me as if we were in his platoon the whole time he had been in charge of it. I remember thinking how lucky I was to be with a guy so great and funny while stuck in a place so austere it's name was Patrol Base Swamp.

CPL Jessica Ellis- Killed in an IED explosion while assigned as the medic for a route clearance team. Jess was the "kid sister" type you'll have in a unit with females, but she busted her ass in contributing to the effort. She was a great medic and you could see how dedicated she was each and every time she treated someone, as well as when she would be involved in training folks in our battalion run combat lifesaver classes. Her death was on Mother's Day in 2008, and I hate that her family has to associate it with her passing.

Every year around this time, the thoughts of them are vivid in my mind. I'm thankful to have known them and thankful our country had such fine individuals willing to serve it.
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I do hope everyone will take a few minutes out of their busy schedules and spend a few minutes remembering what they weekend represents.

Thanks Bersaguy

Thanks for posting this, buddy. I first saw the video just after it first appeared and have found it to be one of the most moving things I've ever seen.

To be hones, I'll be tearing up before halfway thru it.

So...thanks to all those who served. And a special blessing for those who didn't make it home.

Thank You...one and all.

• Like 2