SBR 458 Socom (Suppressed)

Per request...here is my 458 Socom - its a double stamp (NFA) 10.5" with a Bowers Versa50 Suppressor.   Vortex Viper PST 1-4 x 24 scope. It literally brings home the bacon...and a ton more pork too :-).     I have a 16" RR upper too but suppressed it is just too long for fast moving pigs (and any other things needing blown up...lol)

20170527_110847_zpsw2aakaxm.jpg

20170527_110852_zpshxualpcf.jpg

20170527_110855_zps5j7zgxs9.jpg

• Like 9

It has always been my theory that, if you are gonna sling a piece of lead real slow, make it a big piece. I have two calibers that do a good job at subsonic. 300 Blackout and 458 SOCOM. This looks to be about perfect, optic and all!

2 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

It has always been my theory that, if you are gonna sling a piece of lead real slow, make it a big piece.

Agree completely...sometimes you need a scalpel other times a sledgehammer...lol.

This is pushing a 325 Flextip at about 1750 fps.  With the suppressor it is just about hearing safe and cuts the recoil almost in half.  Want some fun try cinder blocks...they just explode when hit. 

42 minutes ago, lordjackel said:

Agree completely...sometimes you need a scalpel other times a sledgehammer...lol.

This is pushing a 325 Flextip at about 1750 fps.  With the suppressor it is just about hearing safe and cuts the recoil almost in half.  Want some fun try cinder blocks...they just explode when hit. 

Oh. You're shooting supersonic. I was thinking 500 grain subsonics. I got a big sackful of those 325 FTX bullets, and have some loaded. My favorites are still the 300 grain Barnes TTSX.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I like the TTSX's too.  David gave me a metric ton of the 325 FTX's but I've not shot that many of them.

How's the sound level on that Bower's with subsonics?

SBR has been running pretty good sales on cases of .458 for anyone that doesn't reload.

6 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Oh. You're shooting supersonic. I was thinking 500 grain subsonics. I got a big sackful of those 325 FTX bullets, and have some loaded. My favorites are still the 300 grain Barnes TTSX.

Yeah I moved from Indiana (no rifles for hunting) so 458 was about as big you could go but had to be supersonic if you wanted any range out of it.   So I haven't tried much subsonic (need a loading recipe :-)

4 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

The down side of the 458 is range. Those 500 grain pills will slap the bejeesus out of something up close. I have only shot the SBR factory loads. Not sure they make them anymore. I still have a few left

The 325 Flextips at 1700+ fps were good to about 175 yards...plenty for Indiana deer or pigs.  Now being in TN I will probably load different rounds more for fun then hunting purposes...so subsonic will probably be next up (just to see how quiet I can make it)

50 minutes ago, lordjackel said:

The 325 Flextips at 1700+ fps were good to about 175 yards...plenty for Indiana deer or pigs.  Now being in TN I will probably load different rounds more for fun then hunting purposes...so subsonic will probably be next up (just to see how quiet I can make it)

One of our local component guys wound up with a billion of those 325 gr FTX bullets. A few of us got a big supply.

Edited by mikegideon
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Checking out SBR's site, I don't know how I missed the 375 SOCOM.  I didn't know anyone was necking down 458 brass, but that looks like a fun little round.  

Neck it down to 270!

Never mind. The good bullets start getting long, and you wind up with  Grendel. Hard to beat that one in an AR-15

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Checking out SBR's site, I don't know how I missed the 375 SOCOM.  I didn't know anyone was necking down 458 brass, but that looks like a fun little round.  

Its a speedy little round but man does it tear up barrels and brass doesn't last long either.

15 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

ACME Bullet Company is about to release an accurized 458 SOCOM bullet. It will weigh 575+ grains and uses certified 92-6-2 alloy. Should put a thumping on whatever you hit. 

Did you have anything to do with it?

I was able to get the 458 SOCOM equivalent of the holy grail, dimensional drawing of the chamber. Took some emails back and forth but I was finally able to get it with Tony's help. I will say it is not what I was expecting but with it I was able to come up with a nice subsonic bullet for the 458. We still need to do some testing but it should be a decently accurate subsonic bullet.

• Like 1