Woodstock 1969

After thinking about Gregg Allman it got me thinking and remembering back. I know that the ABB did not perform at Woodstock but a great many fantastic bands did. I was wondering if anyone here made it to Woodstock 1969 besides me. I was about to ship out for Southeast Asia in a month and was on leave so I decided to attend it and was sure glad I did. It was a fantastic experience and I saw some great bands, musicians and singers and many of them are also gone but not forgotten......................:cheers:

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

No...unfortunately I was taking an extended vacation at Da Nang AB in South Viet Nam.

Image result for Da Nang AB

I was there for a short stay. 1 months later till got ressigned to Chu Lai.

Edited by bersaguy
18 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I envy you. I would have killed to see Hendrix. 

My Dad and Mom weren't even married yet. Took me a few years to come along.

My dream came true when I got to see Janice Joplin and Jimmie Hendrix perform together on stage at the same time. Hendrix was on stage and had done a few songs and then he called on Janice to join him on stage to close out his show. That made it all worth going for sure..............:cheers: I also got to see CCR perform which was outstanding also. There was so many bands and so many stages you could not get to see all of them............JMHO

Yea, from what I have heard over the years there were a few Woodstock type mini comcerts across the country. I think that is what this one called Bonaroo that comes to Manchester Tennessee every year is trying to imitate. I know a few people that have attended it but I have never had the desire to go............JMHO

I wanted to go to the Woodstock they had back int he 90's, but I could not get off work. I have been to Lollapalooza and a few other mini festivals, but none seem to have reached the Woodstock level. Lollapalooza was the closest I think with big name acts, several stages and lots of crazy people. It was just one day though back when I went..

59 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I wanted to go to the Woodstock they had back int he 90's, but I could not get off work. I have been to Lollapalooza and a few other mini festivals, but none seem to have reached the Woodstock level. Lollapalooza was the closest I think with big name acts, several stages and lots of crazy people. It was just one day though back when I went..

I doubt there will ever be another Woodstock! That was different time and era and those days are long gone. The young people of today have far to much hatred built up in them and the young people back then were called Love Children and yea they protested but they didn't set out to destroy other peoples property like young people today. Look at Berkeley back then and look at Berkeley today and that should tell folks everything they need to know..............jmho

• Like 1

I was a whooping 7 years old at that time.  My father had returned home from his 1st tour of Nam and he was reassigned to Shaw AFB near Sumter, SC.  This was my first experience with base housing so I have quite vivid memories of it.  At my age then, I was more in awe by the event that happened about a month prior to Woodstock, Apollo 11 and "The Eagle Has Landed".  I can remember to this day watching the black and white TV with images of the first moon walk.  I was on the folded out hide a bed couch in our living room because I guess my parents knew it was a big deal so my sister and I got to stay up late and watch it.   I was constructing a model of the lunar module, you know the punch out pieces of card stock paper, fold on the dotted line and insert tab "A" into slot "B" and you know rest.  They were giving them away at the GULF filling station with a fill up of Good Gulf or something like that.  As for Woodstock I was too young to even know it was happening at the time.  I'm sure I had to have been exposed to something on TV or been around people talking about it but at that time I was clueless.  I do remember listening to many of of the artist that were at Woodstock, whether it being the lifeguards playing it on the radio at the base pool or the GI's blaring it from their barracks as mom drove by in our all white 1968 4 door Chevrolet Impala with that gosh awful red vinyl interior.  My music preferences were without a doubt influenced by the music of the younger generation and the whole  Age of Aquarius movement.  My father loved his big band music and Hank Williams Sr., so if he was home or in the car none of that hippie music, as he called it,  was going to be played while he was around.  The 60's and 70's , I'm glad I got to be a part of that time, there were good and bad things happening then and in the big picture nothing has changed.  Good and bad things are happening today but it seams like I could navigate life with much more ease if things now, were more like they were then.

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
  • Like 1

Born in June of 1971 I was just about negative two when Woodstock happened.  I have to say, though, this thread made me think of this commercial - especially the first 29 seconds or so.  Heck, just the fact that I have been around long enough to remember this commercial probably makes me old :nervous::

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Only available on records, cassettes or CD's?  I was hoping for 8 tracks!  I still have and 8 track stereo stashed somewhere.

My mom had a portable 8 track "boom Box" and my aunt still had a 8 track in her Road Runner when I was a kid. She had an adapter to play cassettes in it. Everyone must have been in heaven to carry your music in the car and play it instead of the radio. I know no one ever did that with vinyl. lol

BTW, I think ! remember that commercial too.

18 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

My mom had a portable 8 track "boom Box" and my aunt still had a 8 track in her Road Runner when I was a kid. She had an adapter to play cassettes in it. Everyone must have been in heaven to carry your music in the car and play it instead of the radio. I know no one ever did that with vinyl. lol

BTW, I think ! remember that commercial too.

We had a portable 8 track player that my mom got with S&H green stamps.  Yeah, it was that long ago.  I used it, some, even into early high school.  It was probably, oh, 10 inches to a foot square - best I remember - and was yellow.  It had one speaker built in to the front of the player and a 'plunger' made in to the top to change the track (track had to be changed manually.)

Mom and dad also bought a huge Curtis Mathis television/all in one entertainment center kind of thing back in the late 70s.  It was long, about like a dresser.  The television screen was in the middle and was flanked by a speaker on each side.  There was a 'lid' that could be raised on either side of where the screen was.  Under one 'lid' was a record player and under the other 'lid' was an AM/FM radio tuner and an 8 track player.  That 8 track player would change the tracks on its own.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3
28 minutes ago, JAB said:

We had a portable 8 track player that my mom got with S&H green stamps.  Yeah, it was that long ago.  I used it, some, even into early high school.  It was probably, oh, 10 inches to a foot square - best I remember - and was yellow.  It had one speaker built in to the front of the player and a 'plunger' made in to the top to change the track (track had to be changed manually.)

Mom and dad also bought a huge Curtis Mathis television/all in one entertainment center kind of thing back in the late 70s.  It was long, about like a dresser.  The television screen was in the middle and was flanked by a speaker on each side.  There was a 'lid' that could be raised on either side of where the screen was.  Under one 'lid' was a record player and under the other 'lid' was an AM/FM radio tuner and an 8 track player.  That 8 track player would change the tracks on its own.

Yep, you had a Rolls Royce of Home Entertainment Centers of that era for sure. My folks had a Magnavox I think but not sure anymore what it was. I know it was a big and took up half of one wall in their living room and very heavy to move..........:doh:

57 minutes ago, JAB said:

It was probably, oh, 10 inches to a foot square - best I remember - and was yellow.  It had one speaker built in to the front of the player and a 'plunger' made in to the top to change the track (track had to be changed manually.)

I remember those!  They actually came in 3 colors.

th?id=OIP.h9J-y33aQT57rUeWFINNwQEsDI&pid

4 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Totally different than the one my Mom had. Hers was red but had a carry handle at top. Plus it had a sing along microphone. I can't find any pics that look like what I remember.

4 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Pretty much what I was talking about.  Doesn't look exactly like my memory of it but the differences are purely cosmetic and minor - and may only be due to it having probably been nearly 30 years since I saw the thing.  I was trying to remember whether or not it had a number to indicate the track it was on and couldn't say for sure that it did but it looks like I was remembering that correctly, too.

I remember using it, myself, in high school to listen to some of the (pretty well phased out even by then - talking mid to late 1980s) 8 tracks that mom had or some that we would find cheap at yard sales, etc. that I liked.  I also remember mom listening to the heck out of a Dr. Hook album she had on 8 track back in the '70s and early '80s that she loved although she usually played it on the Curtis Mathis.

While on this trip down memory lane, what is the first record/album/single you remember buying/picking out?  The first I remember was a 45 of Queen's 'Another One Bites the Dust'.  The B side was 'Don't Try Suicide'.  IIRC it came from the Sears on Central in Knoxville - a store that no longer exists and there is some kind of government/municipal office in the building, now.  The second I remember was Styx 'Mr. Roboto', also on 45.  Couldn't begin to tell you what the B side was on that one (EDIT: Wikipedia says it was 'Snowblind' and come to think of it that is right - although I still couldn't tell you what the song sounded like.)  The first full 'album' I remember picking out was The Cars Greatest Hits on cassette.  Mom joined one of those record clubs and let my sister and I pick out an album a piece when she chose her introductory bonus and then let us choose one or two more along the way until she cancelled.  I remember that I also got The Police: Every Breath You Take, The Singles and Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms out of that deal, eventually, also on cassette.

Edited by JAB
On 5/28/2017 at 0:06 PM, Grand Torino said:

No...unfortunately I was taking an extended vacation at Da Nang AB in South Viet Nam.

Image result for Da Nang AB

Bet your fireworks show was much better than the [non-existent] one at woodstock :P