Memphis Storms

So Memphis got slammed last night.  Up to 90 mph winds, up to 150k homes currently without power,  Trees down all over town.  Estimates are it will take up to a week to restore power.

Memphis people check in and let us know what's going on.

5 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It toppled and shattered the obelisk honoring Tom Lee downtown in Tom Lee Park. 

Does it still say "A very worthy ....." or was that erased?

Edited by Garufa
11 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It toppled and shattered the obelisk honoring Tom Lee downtown in Tom Lee Park. 

Found this pic of the statue during flood stage of 2011:

tomlee.jpg

Normally:

TomLeePlaza.JPG

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Just now, Oh Shoot said:

tomlee.jpg

Normally:

TomLeePlaza.JPG

- OS

That's not the obelisk.  It is a second memorial they built after rebuilding riverside park.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Oh Shoot said:

tomlee.jpg

Normally:

TomLeePlaza.JPG

- OS

That's the new statue that they erected after the obelisk was blown down by Hurricane Elvis in 2003. They moved the repaired obelisk to a less prominent spot in the park. They also added a plaque to it that said "Erected in 1954" as a disclaimer as I think they were embarrassed a bit by its proclamation of Tom Lee as "A Very Worthy Negro."

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

That's not the obelisk.  It is a second memorial they built after rebuilding riverside park.  

Just now, Chucktshoes said:

That's the new statue that they erected after the obelisk was blown down by Hurricane Elvis in 2003. They moved the repaired obelisk to a less prominent spot in the park. They also added a plaque to it that said "Erected in 1954" as a disclaimer as I think they were embarrassed a bit by its proclamation of Tom Lee as "A Very Worthy Negro."

Ah so, wondered about "obelisk" mention:

filename-img-3886-jpg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Moderators
22 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Obelisk means the same thing in Memphis as it does Egypt or anywhere else.  :P

Especially so in Memphis  where we like to accessorize the city with Egyptian related items since we are named after a city in Egypt. 

7 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Especially so in Memphis  where we like to accessorize the city with Egyptian related items since we are named after a city in Egypt. 

Like bum-#### Egypt.  :lol:

• Like 7

Collierville doesn't seem to have been hit as hard as Memphis.  Based on the local utility outage map, I'd say the SW third of the city was hit the hardest.  The neighborhood where my parents live in East Memphis had a large tree completely uprooted as well as several trees that lost large limbs or even significant parts of the trunk.  That's in addition to all of the little stuff that was blown out of the trees.

Their power went out last night around 23:00, and I wouldn't be surprised if it the repairs take a week.

In Bartlett we had high winds and a lot of rain, but not much damage.  Are lights did flicker on and off a few times, did stay on.  Cable and internet was out most of the night and come up in the morning.  We were very lucky this time because most of the time we are out of power for a few days.

I was watching the weather channel and hopping back and forth between the race and weather and I got to see a video of a guy holding a league size baseball in one hand and a hail stone in the other and the hail stone was bigger than the baseball so I went out in all the down pour and put my Jeep inside just in case. A little while later they said that hail like that was found to be most common in states of Nebraska Wyoming and Colorado but I was not taking any chances.

They explained how hail forms and they said a drop of rain is drawn up into the colder air and becomes hail as it falls back to earth. If that is the case I would like to see the rain drop that created that hail stone??????.................:dropjaw:

The size of the hailstone created has more to do with the time spent in the cloud than the size of the original droplet.  In more severe storms the stone can get pulled up repeatedly, each time forming a new layer of ice, however most stones pick up their layers through the process of accretion, either by contact with super-cooled droplets which have not yet turned solid, passing through layers of water vapor, or even by combining with smaller stones already formed. In each case, time spent in the freezing layers determines the size of the final hailstone ...

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

The size of the hailstone created has more to do with the time spent in the cloud than the size of the original droplet.  In more severe storms the stone can get pulled up repeatedly, each time forming a new layer of ice, however most stones pick up their layers through the process of accretion, either by contact with super-cooled droplets which have not yet turned solid, passing through layers of water vapor, or even by combining with smaller stones already formed. In each case, time spent in the freezing layers determines the size of the final hailstone ...

Thanks cause I didn't know that but I did know I don't want any of them hitting my jeep..................:eek: