So, Solar eclipse of August 21, 2017.

So,  Solar eclipse of August 21, 2017.

I want to get the best view I can get.  I have waited since I was a kid for this one.  Yes, i remember hearing about this one in the 80's.

Who is looking forward to this?

Who is making places to try to be close to the center as possible?

Anyone own land any where near the center that would be good viewing, hoping for  over 2 minutes.

Myself, I want to get  as close to the center of totality as possible. 

Looks like the best is in South West KY, but north west of Nashville looks pretty good.

Hopkinsville, KY 2m 41 seconds going toward Carbondale Illinois. 2minutes 41 seconds.

(based on this, any place in KY between the 2 should be very good.  Maybe right up near the Ohio River before going in to Illinois.

Maybe some place new Eddyville.  

As I don't know the area, i am just looking at the maps, i am certainly open to ideas for places to view.  Probably any place worth 2 cents will be crowded for sure.

I am taking a vacation day at work and I am starting my plans for where I am going.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

I used to get all excited about such celestial events but the reality is about 95% of the time clouds or haze ruins it. 

I'd go out to the desert somewhere.  But then again, my luck never worked there either.  My one and only time in a real desert I nearly died after not even a mile round trip hike.  It wasn't the 107 degree temperature, but on that particular day in the Anza Borrego of Southern California, the humidity was around 30%.  That never happens there so said the rangers.

I am currently working just outside the path of totality, so hopefully a short drive will cover it for me.  I won't make definitive plans until much closer to the date, as noted above weather can have significant impact on viewing conditions.  If necessary,  I'll fly to wherever optimal viewing conditions can be found ...

one thing about the weather.  I remember and have the DVD of Arthur C. Clark when he went to India for a Solar Eclipse.  it was slightly cloudy and he stated something about the temperature change the clouds normally thin out under the Eclipse.   I don't see anyone else talking about that, but I one, remembered from when I watched that on TV and I recently brought the DVDs.  

I am certain going to make a best effort to be in the best spot I can be in.  My work would not let me put in for the vacation time a year in advance.  I followed the policy to the letter and requested it exactly 3 months to the day which is the max they will let us put in.  Good thing since only 1 person can request a Monday off at a time.  It is mine, all Mine.    Had I got the time or not, I was going not going to be at work.  Oak Ridge is only getting a partial eclipse. 

A friend that is a real eclipse fanatic told me that the important thing was to pick a location that has the greatest odds of clear skies. He rented a whole house in the NW over 2 year ago for his extended family to all meet for the event. His sister travels all over the world taking pictures of eclipses.

Not being a fanatic we plan to drive about an hour or 2 from here and find a parking lot.

• Like 1

I am relieved I am not the only geeky person.  I too have planned a vacation day for this event, I work and live in its path.  However, if there is rain or heavy overcast, I plan to cancel my vacation day!

BTW, I remember too reading about this 30-40+ years ago, been waiting too!

• Like 1

I guess I should be as excited as many other people but I don't plan on making any extra plans to go out of my way to see it. If I can view it from my yard fine, I might take a few minutes to do so but other than that I will watch it on the news.....JMHO

You probably know this, but you'll need a solar filter for that telescope. You need one that fits on the main opening, not the eye piece. By the time it gets to the eye piece, the light is so concentrated that a filter there does little good to protect your eyes.

Also, unless you want to watch the details on the moon's surface during the 2m:40s or less of totality, you won't need a 'scope for this event.

14 hours ago, runco said:

I am relieved I am not the only geeky person.  I too have planned a vacation day for this event, I work and live in its path.  However, if there is rain or heavy overcast, I plan to cancel my vacation day!

WHAT!?!?!?!? NO! If there's bad weather/clouds forecast, then keep your vacation day and get in the car on Saturday or Sunday and drive to where ever you have to drive to get clear skies. You just said you've been waiting 30-40+ years for this! Don't let some clouds stop you!   :)

13 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I guess I should be as excited as many other people but I don't plan on making any extra plans to go out of my way to see it. If I can view it from my yard fine, I might take a few minutes to do so but other than that I will watch it on the news.....JMHO

You should definitely try to see it. There's a reason that ancient cultures thought a total solar eclipse was a sign of the end of the world. It's perhaps the single most spectacular natural event that can be seen from Earth.

Here's a little write-up I did over on the Nashville forum of TripAdvisor to help incoming visitors enjoy the eclipse:

Here's what I know...

Downtown Nashville is in the path of totality (complete obscuring of the sun by the moon). But it's not directly on the center line of the eclipse. The closer you get to the center line, the longer the totality lasts. Downtown at the State Capitol will have 1m:55s of total eclipse. By comparison, Gallatin to the northeast of the city is directly on the center line and will get 2m:39s.

You will need glasses with solar lenses or welding glass at shade 14 or darker to safely view any part of the eclipse up to the point of totality, and following the end of totality. "Totality" is the brief time when the moon completely covers the sun. The easiest way to do this is to order some paper-framed solar glasses from Amazon or the like. Rainbow Symphony is a brand that I've seen mentioned on a few astronomy boards as being of acceptable darkness. I just got a 10-pack of them to share with friends and family. They're about $2 each. : https:/… I also have 2 pair of these left over from The Transit of Venus a few years ago and they worked very well and were provided by the Adventure Science Center (see below for more info on their viewing party) http://the3dmarket.com/collections/eclipsers

You will use those glasses up until the point of totality. Just before totality you will see two significant effects. The first is called the Diamond Ring which looks like this: www.dreamview.net/dv/new/photos/101917.jpg because it resembles a diamond engagement ring. The second and final effect before totality is called Baily's Beads and looks like this: https:/… That effect is caused by the final rays of sunlight getting past the moon. Some of the light is blocked by mountains on the moon while some is passing through valleys. Basically, we'll be seeing silhouettes of lunar mountains. Some people will remove their glasses at this point, but it's generally advised against as that's still direct sunlight sneaking passed those lunar mountains. As soon as those stop, then you can safely remove your glasses and watch the actual total eclipse for those few brief minutes. This is when you'll see the corona of the sun like cotton candy dancing around the black disk of the moon. https:/…total-eclipse-2012-inner-corona.jpg You will actually be able to see some details on the surface of the moon because light from the sun reflects off the surface of the Earth which is not in the path of the eclipse. All viewing is safe at this time, including binoculars and unfiltered telescopes. At the end of totality, we'll see the sparkle of Baily's Beads again. That's when you need to put your glasses back on. Then we'll see another diamond ring effect as the sun emerges.

During totality, you'll see planets and stars like you would at dusk and we'll have a 365 degree sunset. That sunset is the reason for wanting to be up high. The more of the horizon around you that you can see, the better you'll see that effect. The reason for some people wanting to be away from downtown is light pollution. The further you are from a city, the more stars you'll see during totality. But keep in mind that this spectacle only lasts a minute or two'ish and going an hour away may only buy you an extra 30-60 seconds.

This will all happen at about 1:30pm so the sun will be very high in the sky. We're not on the equator so it's never directly overhead, but rather to the south of overhead. You could certainly position yourself on the Capitol grounds for easy viewing (just find the sun) but you won't get the full 365 degree sunset because the building itself will be in your way as well as the many trees on the grounds. You'll have the same limited view of the horizon from Centennial Park and Bicentennial Mall because of the trees. Truthfully, the Pedestrian Bridge downtown might be a better place for viewing. No trees or buildings to block your horizon except for a few degrees of it from the downtown buildings. The sun will be high enough that the buildings shouldn't be an issue, especially as you move towards the stadium side of the river. There is a viewing party at the Adventure Science Center. They usually hand out free solar glasses for things like this. There will be local amateur astronomers there with their telescopes setup with solar filters. They let the public use them at no charge. This is a good way to see the eclipse before and after totality. The Adventure Science Center will have 1m 50s of totality.

The one enemy we have in all of this are clouds. Clouds will completely ruin this once-in-a-lifetime cosmic event. I strongly suggest having a plan to move northwest or southeast based on the weather forecasts. Northwest would be better as a spot in Missouri is actually the maximum point. The closer you get to that, you gain a few more seconds of totality. Moving to the southeast, you lose a few seconds of totality.

12 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

You probably know this, but you'll need a solar filter for that telescope.

Yes, I already have one.  I have a camera attachment for the scope, and plan on getting some close-up photos.  I also have a dedicated solar telescope to see it in hydrogen-alpha light, but I don't know if I will have that scope mastered in time to do anything decent with it.