Home-Defense Shotgun Condition

Guest Linoge

What condition is your home-defense shotgun in (and why)?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What condition is your home-defense shotgun in (and why)?

• Round in the chamber, safety on.
    • Round in the chamber, safety off.
    • Empty chamber, safety on.
    • Empty chamber, safety off.

So I am probably going to be picking up my first shotgun tomorrow (yes, I am behind the curve, and yes, you can take away my gun nut credentials now), and have a fun, poll-y question:

Do you keep your home-defense shotgun with a round in the chamber (condition 1), or just with a full tube and no round in the chamber (condition 3)? Also, do you keep the safety engaged or disengaged for each instance? And, finally, why?

Oh, and it is going to be a Remington 870, for those curious... :D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round in the chamber, safety on. An intruder doesn't get the benefit of hearing a racking shotgun, if he's got good hearing he might hear the safety being turned off. If not, well, he'll hear the report.

I keep 6 in the tube, nada in chamber, safety off, 870 also.

I'm in apartment...even though it's good sized, there's not gonna be a lot of stealth involved if anyone crashes in my pad, so I don't mind someone hearing me rack that baby.

Also, I keep it in between mattress and box springs toward foot of bed...knowing I'd probably be pretty foggy if I were awakened, might be a decent chance in hurry situation of grabbing that baby wrong and discharging while pulling it outta there. And I don't want to leave safety on, cause I see that as REALLY a chance to fail in a hurry, since I don't drill daily with it or anything.

Of course, there's one in the chamber of my EDC, and no safety, and IT sits under mattress at the head of bed every night, but handling that pistol is as familiar as scratching my nose.

870-zombie.jpg

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Bronker

Good question, Linoge.

I struggle with this idea. Right now, my Mossberg 500A pistol grip is propped in the corner by my bed, tube full of 00Buck, empty chamber. I mainly have it that way because I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old, and this is the only gun within reach of them. All bedrooms on second story with one way up. The rest of the guns stay in the safe or on my person. I don't subscribe so much to the mesmerizing effect of the 'racking slide' on the criminal mind. Its more of a safety thing. I think for now this is the best set-up for me. My EDC sits on my night stand. The wife's EDC sits on hers while we're all in bed.

... action closed, but unlocked.
Same here. Chamber empty, action closed but unlocked...

I give up... what's "unlocking" the action?

My 870 action just has two extremes, closed and open. And I don't have to "unlock" anything to do it?

- OS

My 870 action just has two extremes, closed and open. And I don't have to "unlock" anything to do it?

- OS

Hammer down on an empty chamber. The bolt is closed, but I can chamber a round by just racking the slide....I don't have to use the action release.

Guest truthsayer

- OS

The "closed but unlocked action" can be accomplished by putting the gun in battery with an empty chamber and depressing the action release. On my Benelli, this leaves the bolt almost closed and the forend almost forward and allows you to chamber a round without having to find the action release lever.

I didn't vote, but I keep my pumpgun just like bigpoppa does. When I used a coach gun, I kept it about 20 degrees shy of closed.

keep my mossy 500 all wood 18 inch cyl bore barrel loaded with 00 buck right by my head about a foot away fully loaded and one in the tube with the safety on, i want every round i can get if the time comes that i need it. i left the wood furniture on mine so it wouldnt break the old ladys wrist if she had to shoot it, and i think wood feels and looks better than plastic. :D

Mossberg 500 with 8 in tube one in chamber safety on, tactial light on tube. Loaded with 3" 00 Buck. Looks like the one OhShoot has in his pic {except mine is a mossberg}..... No slide warning! If you come in uninvited you take your chances.

I have a mossberg 500 leaning against the corner within arms reach of my side of the bed. I have a round chambered and it's fully loaded with 00 buck. I keep the safety on just to make sure that I am aware enough to use it if I get woke up. That's pretty much the only reason it's on.

Guest abailey362

chambered, safety on. taking the safety off is natural for me on a mossberg as I grip it when shouldering. no racking warning is someone doesn't need to be in the house, and it gets me another round in the gun

Guest Halfpint

The status of my 870 changes depending on whether or not there are children around. I don't mean for visits, as then we can monitor where they are allowed to go--I mean extended stays.

I voted "Round in chamber, safety on" because that's how it normally is. I move to the total opposite end of the spectrum when my niece or young cousins are in the house--empty chamber, full mag, safety off. Before you could fire, you'd have to pick it up, pull the trigger to dry-fire it, and pump the action. The 20 gauge 870 in another room is always left in this condition.

Mossberg 500...

No round in chamber, no rounds in tube...

Sitting in a gun rack in the basement...

Couple of shells of reduced recoil 00 loose in a box...

(It's only for critters in the yard, besides it has a 26" barrel! LOL!!)

Prefer to reply on my Pistol. :devil:

Guest flyfishtn

Mossy 590 with tube full and one in the chamber, safety on, 00 Buck.

Our bedroom is upstairs and if the dogs go nuts (they are upstairs with us) then the intruder gets a surprise.

Guest pjblurton

Mossy, full tube, empty chamber, safety off. (18.5" Barrel and 12" Length Of Pull stock.)

My kids are almost all grown (and firearms literate), but from time to time we have our grandson in the house and he's just 1 y/o.

Proped up on the corner next to the bed, about 2" from my head...EDC on the night stand 1" from my head. Mommas EDC on her nightstand 1" from her head...Well, you get the picture....

;)