Home-Defense Shotgun Condition

Guest Linoge

What condition is your home-defense shotgun in (and why)?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What condition is your home-defense shotgun in (and why)?

• Round in the chamber, safety on.
    • Round in the chamber, safety off.
    • Empty chamber, safety on.
    • Empty chamber, safety off.

Winchester Defender with 7 in the tube +5 in a stock saddle, empty chamber and safety on. That is just how I have always kept and trained with it. The few times I have had to turn into captian underpants in the middle of the night the safety goes off on picking up the gun, then the slide lock is deactivated. If I have to fire immedately the action on the Winchester is extreemly fast and would not be much of a delay (besides if I fealt an immedate threat I would chamber a round on picking the gun up for sure). However, if it is the standard you think someone is in or around your home situation I prefer to keep the chamber empty then if you do stumble across a human (or zombie) you can point, rack the slide and observe the reaction. I really don't want to kill anybody, and if they flee immedately or surrender then the threat is over, if not lead will fly. Also this configuration gives you a secondary opportunity to be SURE you want to fire.

My wife and I had a very dangerous double back situation once that could have been very, very bad with a condition 1 weapon. We both thought the other was in another area of the house and came upon each other in a low light, high stress situation. We both thought we had found an intruder. After a lot of confusion and screaming we figured out what was up. We learned a lot that night and if I had a pistol in my hands or a shotgun with one in the chamber for that matter, I fear I may have shot her that night. Now that we have kids, a different house, some experience, and a plan I don't think that would ever happen again , but it could.

I see nothing wrong, even if you do find an inturder in your home, in racking the slide and demanding compliance-- and then waiting to see what they do. Keep your finger off the trigger unless you HAVE to fire, and you may just find a loved one at the other end of your barrel begging you not to shoot. Once you pull the trigger it can't be undone and that lead is going to destroy something, don't let it be your life. Just my :P.

BTW have a sling full of 25 more shells in a grab and go format (in case of zombies :mad:).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guitarsnguns
Mosseberg 500 tube full, one in the chamber saftery on. Rests between me and the alarm clock so about 5 inches from the bed.

Me too. Also a loaded .357 close at hand if I want stealth.

Guest david_g17
Winchester Defender with 7 in the tube +5 in a stock saddle, empty chamber and safety on. That is just how I have always kept and trained with it. The few times I have had to turn into captian underpants in the middle of the night the safety goes off on picking up the gun, then the slide lock is deactivated. If I have to fire immedately the action on the Winchester is extreemly fast and would not be much of a delay (besides if I fealt an immedate threat I would chamber a round on picking the gun up for sure). However, if it is the standard you think someone is in or around your home situation I prefer to keep the chamber empty then if you do stumble across a human (or zombie) you can point, rack the slide and observe the reaction. I really don't want to kill anybody, and if they flee immedately or surrender then the threat is over, if not lead will fly. Also this configuration gives you a secondary opportunity to be SURE you want to fire.

My wife and I had a very dangerous double back situation once that could have been very, very bad with a condition 1 weapon. We both thought the other was in another area of the house and came upon each other in a low light, high stress situation. We both thought we had found an intruder. After a lot of confusion and screaming we figured out what was up. We learned a lot that night and if I had a pistol in my hands or a shotgun with one in the chamber for that matter, I fear I may have shot her that night. Now that we have kids, a different house, some experience, and a plan I don't think that would ever happen again , but it could.

I see nothing wrong, even if you do find an inturder in your home, in racking the slide and demanding compliance-- and then waiting to see what they do. Keep your finger off the trigger unless you HAVE to fire, and you may just find a loved one at the other end of your barrel begging you not to shoot. Once you pull the trigger it can't be undone and that lead is going to destroy something, don't let it be your life. Just my :screwy:.

BTW have a sling full of 25 more shells in a grab and go format (in case of zombies :P).

I hope you have a flashlight mounted on your shotgun now.

I hope you have a flashlight mounted on your shotgun now.

Oh don't you know....that plus many other many lessons learned and improved tactics. But I know I learn something new EVERY day here. I respect all of the opinions on this forum...including the ones that are wrong :up: just kiddin.

Guest LieutenantDan67

Remmy 870, six rounds of 00 buck in the tube, empty chamber/hammer down, safety on.

We are in a locked bedroom and have a dog for our alarm system. Intruder would not even hear the racking sound over the dog.