Carrying in Puerto Rico?

• Moderators

My Wife and I are considering a vacation to Puerto Rico. I began to research laws pertaining to carrying there. It seems we are in the unfortunate predicament in that Tennessee honors a Puerto Rico permit but Puerto Rico does not honor any other state or territory's permit.

It seems that $100 may be paid to obtain a permit, and it even appears that this may be open to anyone a citizen of The United States of America and not necessarily just Puerto Rico residents. With that being said, it seems that it may taken up to 120 days at the discretion of the superintendent. Photos and fingerprints are also required, I think, but it seems that the requirements for purchasing/owning a firearm blend into the requirements for carrying a firearm. Perhaps any individual would need both, I could foresee that.

I know generally you simply have to declare a firearm on the airline but I read that once in PR the firearm gets turned over to the policía (police). Then, in order to obtain possession of the firearm, you have to have "required documentation" whatever that may consist of.

My main question is whether or anyone here has any experience with going through this process and whether or not I should even attempt at doing so myself. If it were simply paying $100 to obtain the "right" to carry, I'd do so even though the vacation is only a week long. However, the more complex the process becomes the less likely it is that I even start it.

While researching, I found that a few years ago a court ruled PR's firearm laws unconstitutional so it would allow anyone to carry open or concealed. However, at the end of 2016 a higher court reversed that ruling so nothing truly changed. Oh well:(

Link to PR's Firearms section on their website:

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=es&sp=nmt4&u=http://policia.pr.gov/armas/&usg=ALkJrhhU_q8iUWl7Va30RubK-Nx25cdQnw

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Moderators

The more I read about it the more I believe it will not be viable. It seems it can take months to obtain just the Obtaining and Transportation license (needed to purchase I believe). Since they are "may issue" on the carry permit, it seems they are quite restrictive on who they allow to obtain one.

Would still love to hear from the aforementioned friend that may have greater firsthand knowledge though. That said, I'm about to chunk this one in the "don't worry about it" pile.

• Moderators

This was my buddy's response. 

"No. ####ing. Clue.

Never looked into it, and never really felt like i needed one there.

I should add... Probably not worth it trying to #### with the Puerto Rican bureaucracy. If there's some sort of legal framework to get him to carry his blaster, at best it will take forever to navigate, with no one probably willing to help a gringo carry a gun in what they view as their country. At worst it'll still take forever just to be told no.

My advice would be don't worry about it. Most of the island is probably safer than wherever he lives currently, and what violent crime that does exist generally isn't targeted at tourists, as it's a sure fire way to get the police all up in their ####."

• Like 1

I traveled there quite often in the military and am going back in October on vacation. I talk to my old Commander who lives there. He stated it is a pain in the @#$% to get a permit. Also I stay in El Condado (SanJuan) and there were police everywhere. We felt safe the whole time.

• Admin Team

Number one rule of traveling abroad (only partially applicable here - but the part that is matters):  you do not want to go to jail there.  

You're almost certainly safer here than any major city on the redneck riviera.

You're going to the beach - take a healthy dose of situational awareness - and then don't worry about it.  Check out Bioluminescent Bay. Eat some mofongo. Have fun. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Number one rule of traveling abroad (only partially applicable here - but the part that is matters):  you do not want to go to jail there.  

You're going to the beach - take a healthy dose of situational awareness - and then don't worry about it.  Check out Bioluminescent Bay. Eat some mofongo. Have fun. 

This. I don't take a gun on vacation unless we drive there. I'm typically drinking most of the time so having a gun on my person isn't a wise choice.

Don't let carrying a gun get in the way of having fun and relaxing.

• Like 1

You would have to legally export whatever firearm you wanted to take there,  I took two to Mexico legally, after getting all the licenses there.  The US paperwork used to be on the US Customs website, I haven't looked lately.  My eye doctor just did it with two hunting rifles when he went to Uganda to hunt so it's not hard, just make sure you have all originals and notarized copies just in case.  No one will accept a bribe.  But gifts . . . . are another thing.  Cash or a "not your best Leatherman" may help.

Cherokee Slim

• Moderators
You would have to legally export whatever firearm you wanted to take there,  I took two to Mexico legally, after getting all the licenses there.  The US paperwork used to be on the US Customs website, I haven't looked lately.  My eye doctor just did it with two hunting rifles when he went to Uganda to hunt so it's not hard, just make sure you have all originals and notarized copies just in case.  No one will accept a bribe.  But gifts . . . . are another thing.  Cash or a "not your best Leatherman" may help.
Cherokee Slim

Theoretically speaking, if it were to work out doesn't the fact that Puerto Rico is a U.S. Territory change anything?

I know if you go to Puerto Rico to shoot in a match you have to get some sort of license from the Puerto Rico police just to legally bring a handgun.  I believe the gun clubs down there have to arrange for you to get the licenses ahead of time.  I am under the impression that they have some sort of process that involves a license just to own a gun and of course carry it.  You may need the help of a local to help you with that process.

You don't go through Customs going into Puerto Rico if you are coming from the US since it is a US territory.

Where in Puerto Rico are you wanting to go?  There are some neat things to see in San Juan but to be honest the violent crime down there is probably worse than anywhere in the mainland US.  There are parts of San Juan that truly are like something in a 3rd world country and it is sad.

• Moderators

Yep, I think we will go to the bioluminescent bay. Never heard of that food but researching now. I love trying new food.

And part of your comment was slightly confusing. Are you saying that Puerto Rico is likely safer than any major city in Florida?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
51 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Has Myrtle Beach gone down hill that much since I was last there in college? 

We've been next door to MB for the past week (and I have to go home tomorrow :cry: ).  The local news would indicate its not much different from k-town. 

"It seems we are in the unfortunate predicament in that Tennessee honors a Puerto Rico permit but Puerto Rico does not honor any other state or territory's permit."

I wish the State of Tennessee would extend the middle finger to those states that refuse to honor our permit and stop accepting their permits.   

• Like 1
  • Moderators
"It seems we are in the unfortunate predicament in that Tennessee honors a Puerto Rico permit but Puerto Rico does not honor any other state or territory's permit."
I wish the State of Tennessee would extend the middle finger to those states that refuse to honor our permit and stop accepting their permits.   

Well, I somewhat agree but ultimately it would just hurt the citizens of those states/territories and not really the government thereof at all.

What is interesting is that it seems Puerto Rico has reciprocity built into its legal system but no reciprocity is actually established with everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 3 weeks later...

Based on some of the posts above, Puerto Rico must have gotten safer since I was there.  In San Juan, it was difficult to find a window at street level that did not have bars on it.  One restaurant we went to had an armed guard at the door (and I'm not talking about a pistol).  Some areas were horribly poverty ridden.  My wife and I swore never to return.  St. Thomas, Paradise Island, and Bermuda are places I feel MUCH safer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 6/2/2017 at 10:35 AM, MacGyver said:

On 6/22/2017 at 3:04 PM, wsp222 said:

Based on some of the posts above, Puerto Rico must have gotten safer since I was there.  In San Juan, it was difficult to find a window at street level that did not have bars on it.  One restaurant we went to had an armed guard at the door (and I'm not talking about a pistol).  Some areas were horribly poverty ridden.  My wife and I swore never to return.  St. Thomas, Paradise Island, and Bermuda are places I feel MUCH safer.

Leaving out later this week. Going to try to be smart and safe about everything. Any places on a map to definitely avoid, things to watch out for, and things to do/not do?

Staying in :Rincon and Mata de Plátano

I was also trying to lookup knife carry laws. I've ran into a bunch of different stuff.

I've found this, referencing PR law: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

25-Sub 1-Part V-Chpt 51A Sub V- § 458d 

I'm trying to find something to describes more details.