Vintage Gun Photos

13 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Model 12 Winchester maybe 

T6-runabout-with-model-12.jpg

Looks like it may be a 16 gauge cause the barrel looks kinda small but still were great guns. Buddy of mine when we were growing up used Winchester Model 12 Trap grade to shoot trap. I think they quit making the Model 12 and went to the 1200 in mid to late 60's but not sure on dates.

On 6/3/2017 at 11:23 PM, -boatman- said:

Jim_Blanton_zpspnzpj7su.jpg

My great grand dad. I don't have a clue what the guns are.

Really cool pic - and has anyone ever commented that your great-grandad looked a lot like Kevin Bacon.  Or, I guess technically Kevin Bacon looks a lot like your great-grandad.

• Like 1
On 6/7/2017 at 11:41 AM, Jeb48 said:

Great pictures and info.

Every wonder how Annie and other trick shooters could get away with shooting in an arena and not take out some of the audience? Not sure if they did it all the time but I heard a story years ago that they found some old ammo from Annie. When they examined it the bullets were wax with fine shot pellets mixed in. The speculation was that the wax would melt and come apart when shot so only the fine pellets would be flying around making them safer and a bit easier to hit targets.

There probably was some special ammunition.  At the same time, unless I am mistaken one of her most famous trick shots was that Butler would hold a cigarette in his mouth and Annie would turn her back to him, lay the rifle on her shoulder, use a mirror to sight and shoot the cig out of his mouth.  Probably wouldn't want to do that with scatter shot.

I have also read that she was quoted as saying she became such a good shot because she had to help supplement her family's food supply by hunting small game such as squirrels.  She said something along the lines that if missing a shot means you don't eat you learn not to miss pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, JAB said:

Really cool pic - and has anyone ever commented that your great-grandad looked a lot like Kevin Bacon.  Or, I guess technically Kevin Bacon looks a lot like your great-grandad.

Crap I should have seen that. Lol

6 hours ago, JAB said:

Ha, I've never noticed that but I can see it after you brought it to my attention.

12 minutes ago, Jeb48 said:

Not sure what the story is for this photo. Any Ideas?

MobileGunHut.jpg

Found it with Google Image Search:

http://www.lesliejonesphotography.com/collection/0806003586

1928. "Brockton Fair. Two disabled vets drove travel house 'Checkers' thousands of miles "

Another view:

08_06_003585.jpg?itok=iHxLSBSK

"Frank Shea (L) of Brooklyn, NY and William Burke of Passaic, NJ at Brockton Fair. They have driving unique traveling wagon 'Checkers' coast to coast 6 times and to Mexico and every province in Canada. "

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 5