Vintage Gun Photos

On 1/17/2020 at 9:29 AM, TomInMN said:

Does it look to anyone else like he might be missing his legs? Something looks off, and I can't quite sort it out...

I look at it and wonder if it's not some deteroiation of the edges of the picture? That black area is so ragged at the edge that makes it difficult to be sure. I also thought at first it migh be some sort of table or bench in front of him with a buffalo rug on it. lol Farfetched idea, but I get them.

Edited by hipower
On 1/9/2020 at 10:07 PM, Jeb48 said:

What is that extra large long gun.

4f379933cd73e4e34cef48d3fa3a87cd.jpeg

Heck I don't know. The longer I look at this the more squirrely ideas I get. One minute I agree with kahrman, then I think the size and scale of the lower stock on the rifle is different from the other one. Then there seems to be a band/strap around the foregrip near the soldier's belt pouch, and looks like another above his hand. And is that really a bayonet? 🤔

On 1/17/2020 at 10:29 AM, TomInMN said:

Does it look to anyone else like he might be missing his legs? Something looks off, and I can't quite sort it out...

5 hours ago, hipower said:

I look at it and wonder if it's not some deteroiation of the edges of the picture? That black area is so ragged at the edge that makes it difficult to be sure. I also thought at first it migh be some sort of table or bench in front of him with a buffalo rug on it. lol Farfetched idea, but I get them.

Looks like an old picture of an old raggedy picture.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
31 minutes ago, Jeb48 said:

Fallschirmjäger examine a captured M1 Garand during a short truce to evacuate French civilians from the port of St. Nazaire in France. 

Just pull this trigger thingy here.

Any better captions??

Fallschirmjäger examine a captured M1 Garand during a short truce to evacuate French civilians from the port of St. Nazaire in France.jpg

The Americans booby trapped them. Don’t try and load it. Hans lost his thumb that way. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Don't mess with me class.

Women with Guns in the Past (14).jpeg

A bit off-track, but anyone still have/use one of those type range boxes? I still have one my Dad made(needs a lot of tlc though) and a Packmeyer as well. Pretty much just a conversation piece for me. I found them getting just a bit too heavy after I turned 40. lol

55 minutes ago, gary_boom said:

I always liked those boxes. I saw plans for making one years ago.

They are nice range boxes, a bit out-dated by today's standards, but very practical and easily (over)packed. I always like the ability to take 4-6 guns at one time. But then you needed ammo and extra mags. The storage under the slide was good for 8-10 boxes more or less, and those having the magnetic strip on the inside cover could get maybe 6-8 mags easily.

All that gets to be pretty bulky, and heavy. Then the guys that shot a lot each time were seen with 2 boxes. One usually modified to hold a lot more ammo. Do you realize how much, and how heavy a full box like that can be?

This was me in the early to mid 80's I took those 2 boxes every time I went shooting. By the time I carried them in, unloaded and got set up, I was pooped! No wonder I was such a lousy shooter.

It took me a while, but I realized I didn't need an arsenal each time I went to the range. Started carrying 3-4, not even all the same caliber. So that sort of lightened the load. But again, that darn box, and after shifting to bags; it was too much.

The smart set, the young and older shooters I see today seem to come in with one pistol maybe half a dozen boxes of ammo, and their "eyes and ears" in a bag.

Me? Nope. I'm still overpacking. lol Two or Three guns and ammo.  But I'm starting to see the light.

Next time out...0ne Pistol and ammo! No more! 

Sure.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
18 minutes ago, hipower said:

They are nice range boxes, a bit out-dated by today's standards, but very practical and easily (over)packed. I always like the ability to take 4-6 guns at one time. But then you needed ammo and extra mags. The storage under the slide was good for 8-10 boxes more or less, and those having the magnetic strip on the inside cover could get maybe 6-8 mags easily.

All that gets to be pretty bulky, and heavy. Then the guys that shot a lot each time were seen with 2 boxes. One usually modified to hold a lot more ammo. Do you realize how much, and how heavy a full box like that can be?

This was me in the early to mid 80's I took those 2 boxes every time I went shooting. By the time I carried them in, unloaded and got set up, I was pooped! No wonder I was such a lousy shooter.

It took me a while, but I realized I didn't need an arsenal each time I went to the range. Started carrying 3-4, not even all the same caliber. So that sort of lightened the load. But again, that darn box, and after shifting to bags; it was too much.

The smart set, the young and older shooters I see today seem to come in with one pistol maybe half a dozen boxes of ammo, and their "eyes and ears" in a bag.

Me? Nope. I'm still overpacking. lol Two or Three guns and ammo.  But I'm starting to see the light.

Next time out...0ne Pistol and ammo! No more! 

Sure.

Nah, the really smart way involves something like this. 

godvjgP.jpg

5 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Nah, the really smart way involves something like this. 

godvjgP.jpg

True. But I can't get that(physically) in/out of my vehicle any more.

Plus, I couldn't get it thru the doors at H'ville G&L...IF I went there any more. 

But that's a story for another time.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

STG44 was the first widely issued intermediate caliber infantry weapon.

STG44, the original %22assault rifle%22 was the first widely issued intermediate caliber infantry weapon.jpg

This picture is distressing, the soldier appears to be a kid and he appears to be somewhat malnourished.

Stark reminder of the late war years and collapse of the Nazi war machine.

23 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

This picture is distressing, the soldier appears to be a kid and he appears to be somewhat malnourished.

There are plenty of kids on every side of every war.

27 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

Looks like a young girl to me

53 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

The picture appears staged to me. The background does not look normal and the gun has not one scratch on it.

It is. The camera used to take that picture was a Canon EOS 5D Mark II. (Released 2008)

It also looks like cell towers behind her.

The gun doesn’t have a mark on it. Her, and her uniform are too clean.

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/hitlerjugend_2156.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1&&g2_fromNavId=xa742eac6&g2_GALLERYSID=dffe62ec1522e2eb53c7f789e56effd4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

It is. The camera used to take that picture was a Canon EOS 5D Mark II. (Released 2008)

It also looks like cell towers behind her.

The gun doesn’t have a mark on it. Her, and her uniform are too clean.

http://olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/hitlerjugend_2156.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1&&g2_fromNavId=xa742eac6&g2_GALLERYSID=dffe62ec1522e2eb53c7f789e56effd4

So, art rather than documentary. Interesting.