Vintage Gun Photos

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Similar and equally plausible reason for the pose.聽

I think you are onto something with the rotoscoped image. 聽I suspect it was more to merge a picture of a cop and a picture of some bayonet lunges. 聽 That seems to lineup really well. 聽

Yeah, that too. 馃槅馃槅

And I'm going 9 o clock as well. 聽That is not over the butt cheek, unless you have a side but, and hey, I ain't judging!聽

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jeb48 said:

M16, which looks fresh out of the crate. Also see some M1 Garands

M16, which looks fresh out of the crate also see some M1 Garands.jpeg

I think that might actually be a Colt 601. That would make it very early indeed. It鈥檚 got the waffle mag and the tiny triangle charging handle and three prong flash hider.聽

Edited by Chucktshoes
3 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

M16, which looks fresh out of the crate. Also see some M1 Garands

M16, which looks fresh out of the crate also see some M1 Garands.jpeg

I think that might actually be a Colt 601. That would make it very early indeed. It鈥檚 got the waffle mag and the tiny triangle charging handle and three prong flash hider.聽

That is a mid to late 60's Colt SP1. 聽Looks just like my 1966 SP1 but with a little more wear. 聽

IMG-3345.jpg

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

That is a mid to late 60's Colt SP1. 聽Looks just like my 1966 SP1 but with a little more wear. 聽

IMG-3345.jpg

There are a few differences that point to it being an earlier production than the civilian SP-1s. Like I mentioned before, it has the triangle CH, and if you look at the takedown pins, they have a divot. The SP-1s don鈥檛 have the divot takedown pins. It鈥檚 also got the chrome slickside 聽bolt carrier. The SP-1 doesn鈥檛. 聽It鈥檚 a 601, maybe definitely聽a 602. Hard to tell without a better resolution on the mag release or color to see the color of the stock. It has the improved 3 prong duckbill flash hider. It鈥檚 an early production of the 602 as the later models have the same charging handle as your SP-1.聽

Actually found this pic shown as an example of the 602 in Vietnam.聽

https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/retroblackrifle/ModGde/RflGde/602.html

Edited by Chucktshoes
10 hours ago, E4 No More said:

As a former artilleryman, it would be interesting to see the process of loading, arming, and firing of a rail gun. I've seen footage of them being shot, but not the entire process.

At about 9 mins is what you are looking for.

• Like 4

Thanks for posting that, Red333, but I should have been clearer. I was interested in how they loaded the gun that took the projectiles聽from the picture that showed it聽over twice as tall as the soldiers standing in front of it. The gun in your聽video was a 208 mm projectile聽weighing 551 lbs and carrying 61 lbs of HE. The projectile聽in the picture would be many times that. Your video was indeed interesting though.

I was mostly in self-propelled artillery, (175mm gun in my avatar, and 8 inch howitzer which were both on the M110 chassis), and the A-gunner聽had to hand-crank聽the 18,000 lbs (IIRC) barrel into elevation position when the hydraulics went out. That was not at all fun!聽There was a flash of a scene of about 6 to 8 men hand-cranking the elevation on that gun so I can't imagine what they needed to hand-crank the barrel that took the huge projectile聽in the picture. By comparison, the 8 inch projectile聽that the U.S.聽used was 208 lbs, and the 16 inch projectiles on the battleship's guns聽weighed up to 2,700 lbs. The projectile聽in the picture is well over 16 inches in diameter.聽:dropjaw:

4 Women pose for a picture in Maryland聽in 1950. They were showing off the weapons they used to round up 4 men who had been terrorizing the neighborhood for 3 weeks. They shot at the men, chased them down, forced them to surrender, and then waited for the police to arrive.

image0.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Jeb48 said:

4 Women pose for a picture in Maryland聽in 1950. They were showing off the weapons they used to round up 4 men who had been terrorizing the neighborhood for 3 weeks. They shot at the men, chased them down, forced them to surrender, and then waited for the police to arrive.

image0.jpeg

My kind of women, marring material right here!!!