Vintage Gun Photos

36 minutes ago, 1gewehr said:

The original Nock Volley gun had seven .50 barrels.  An excellent reproduction can be seen used in the Sharp's Rifles series on BBC.  The one in this photo is obviously a Hollywood creation!  It looks like they took seven 12guage shotgun barrels and banded them together.

You are generous, I thought it looked like 7 pieces of thick wall conduit. lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 1gewehr said:

Is that a Jaguar patrol car? 

It certainly looks like it, but it's more like a Jaguar used as a patrol car. Cars specifically marketed and sold as patrol cars are not stock, and I recall none before the 60's.

1 minute ago, E4 No More said:

You must have been able to enlarge the picture to determine that. 

Just an old car guy that recognized what it was. If you do an image search for around a 1928-32 Lincoln ornament you will see the sleek Greyhound.

I spend about as much time on old car forums as gun forums. 😁

37 minutes ago, Jeb48 said:

Just an old car guy that recognized what it was. If you do an image search for around a 1928-32 Lincoln ornament you will see the sleek Greyhound.

I spend about as much time on old car forums as gun forums. 😁

I just Googled old Jaguar hood ornaments and they looked VERY similar to the one in the photo. I tried to enlarge the posted photo to be sure and it wouldn't do it. :shrug: 

It helps to recognize that the car is a big american make, which narrows the possibilities. You're right the two ornaments are very similar in a low resolution photo. Never really thought about it before.

1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

I just Googled old Jaguar hood ornaments and they looked VERY similar to the one in the photo. I tried to enlarge the posted photo to be sure and it wouldn't do it. :shrug: 

It also just helps to know cars.   Jaguar as a company name didn't exist until 45 which is also when they started using the leaping jag hood ornament.  Prior to that, they were Swallow Sidecar Company and changed the name to SS Cars Limited when they switched to full time auto production.   The SS Jaguar of the 30s was a model.  Post WWII, SS had a very negative connotation and the Jaguar was extremely popular so they changed the name and rebranded themselves in 1945.  

Since the car in the picture is CLEARLY a pre-war car, it stands to reason that it CANNOT be a Jaguar since Jaguar didn't exist.  

• Like 1