Vintage Gun Photos

50 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

His great aunt gave that to him for Christmas, and his ma made him wear it for the photo.

I'd say with some of those guys, their Ma was the only person that could make them do anything. 

Edited by Ronald_55
English 101
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, peejman said:

The fringe was common among trappers/mountain men/frontiersmen in the 1800's. It was considered a badge of honor and visually distinguished them. 

As it was in the 1970’s for young boys who got their jackets from Sears.  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, peejman said:

The fringe was common among trappers/mountain men/frontiersmen in the 1800's. It was considered a badge of honor and visually distinguished them. 

Never really thought about it but a quick search shows the fringe on a trappers coat may have come from Native American clothing as an aide to wick moister away.  Kind of seems logical.  🌧️

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Never really thought about it but a quick search shows the fringe on a trappers coat may have come from Native American clothing as an aide to wick moister away.  Kind of seems logical.  🌧️

I've heard that before, I'd like to see a Mythbusters episode on it. Could also work a little bit to break up a silhouette??

1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

I've heard that before, I'd like to see a Mythbusters episode on it. Could also work a little bit to break up a silhouette??

I finished reading this recently. The author talked about how they dressed being important to them. 

https://books.google.com/books/about/My_Sixty_Years_on_the_Plains_Trapping_Tr.html?id=S5lMrgEACAAJ&source=kp_book_description

• Thanks 1

I always wondered how he got them big ol' bullets into that gun :P

The Mare's Leg weapon carried by Josh Randall (Steve McQueen) is a cut down Winchester model 1892 carbine in 44-40 caliber, but the bullets in his cartridge belt are 45-70 caliber rounds used in the larger, more powerful rifles of the day. The producers wanted to use the 45-70s because they were more visually impressive than the relatively small, pistol sized rounds actually used in the 1892 carbine. The use of the 1892 carbine is itself an anachronism as the series is set in the 1870s.

• Like 1

Richard Widmark's volly gun

The Nock gun was a seven-barrelled flintlock smoothbore firearm used by the Royal Navy during the early stages of the Napoleonic Wars. It is a type of volley gun adapted for ship-to-ship fighting, but was limited in its use because of the powerful recoil and eventually discontinued.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nock_gun

Dont think I want to fire that thing!

Edited by RED333
Because I can
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

The Alamo - 1960

Alamo - The Alamo - 1960.jpg

Alamo - The Alamo - 1960 - 2.jpg

The original Nock Volley gun had seven .50 barrels.  An excellent reproduction can be seen used in the Sharp's Rifles series on BBC.  The one in this photo is obviously a Hollywood creation!  It looks like they took seven 12guage shotgun barrels and banded them together.