Taxidermy "How to"

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE...well, the cowhide is almost done. It is tanned, stretched out on plywood to dry, and then will be ready to sand down. The guy I am doing it for has his house decorated in a southwest motif, and will be using the hide for a rug. It measures 7.6 foot wide and 8.5 foot long. It will be a beautiful red furred rug! It was a big job to do...but it looks awesome! So, how are your projects coming?

Dave (WD)

• 1 month later...
Guest DoDFire

WD-40 Thanks for all the info,,,, If I'm lucky enough to get a deer on my place next deer season I'm going tan one,,, We were sit'n in the alarm room today talk'n about tie'n flies for trout and I made the statement about keep'n a deer hide and use'n the hair. It will be done now, Thank You:bow:

• 1 month later...

I didn't go super soft. I broke and oiled it a bit.

I hung mine on the wall so I wasn't too concerned about it being supple.

If iwas going to do a rug I would spent considerable time breaking it and oiling it.

• 2 months later...

Hello guys and gals...hope everyone is doing well, and had a safe 4th. Last year I wrote an article on "Tanning deer hides", and with hunting season just around the corner, I am getting the itch to write some more. Without tooting my horn, I've been involved in taxidermy and tanning for about 25 years, and have a ton of info to pass along. I have a couple of ideas, but if anyone is in need of any taxidermy related info, just let me know!

Dave (wd-40)

I think that will work. I want to post info on caring for your mounts (cleaning, ect), and field care BEFORE it gets to your Taxidermist. I'll put the info where ever you would like.

Dave

Guest GunTroll

Great idea!

I'll start out.....you mentioned caring for your mount. I finally shot one worth mounting. The taxidermist just finished it and I haven't even seen him yet. He's in MO with the in-laws. So......how do you care for a mount. Any and all info would be great.

Thanks

GT

Great idea!

I'll start out.....you mentioned caring for your mount. I finally shot one worth mounting. The taxidermist just finished it and I haven't even seen him yet. He's in MO with the in-laws. So......how do you care for a mount. Any and all info would be great.

Thanks

GT

I will assume you are reffering to a deer. And since this appears to be your first mount, I'll start with a couple simple rules (if you will). This should be useful to other folks as well.

First is placement. This starts at the Taxidermy shop. Think about which wall your trophy will be placed on. You want your deer "looking at you" when you enter the room. You do not want to be looking at the side or back of his (or her) head.

There are three "no-no's" from the start. Do not hang your deer where it will recieve direct hot sunlight through a window. Do not hang it in a high temperature area, for example, a garage. Do not hang it above a fireplace, (bash away fellows). When I was running my shop, I could not tell you how many deer I cleaned/repaired due to smoke and heat damage from being hung above a fireplace or woodstove. If the fireplace is unused, then it is OK.

Cleaning: About once a month (or as needed) take your deer off the wall and give it a good looking over. Look for cracks around the eyes, nose and lips. If you find any, contact your Taxidermist for repair.

Give the deer head a dose of "Armor-All foaming tire cleaner". It is available anywhere where car care products are sold. Spray it on and after a few seconds, wipe it off with a soft clean rag. Wipe in the direction of the hair only. Wipe the antlers with a soft cloth using furniture polish or "Armor-All Protectant". Armor-All replaces the natural sheens back in the hair and antlers. Clean the eyes with a soft cloth and window cleaner.

Hang the deer back on the wall and gently brush it with a fine hair brush, then "sleek" him down with your hands (similiar to petting a dog), just don't let your spouse ketch'ya petting your deer boys!

Well, I hope everyone at least found a little useful information that will help you enjoy you mounts for years to come.

Dave (WD-40)

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, I have high expectation of getting a bear this year and i would love to have a bear skin rug. I was wondering if i do get one on the ground what is the best way to care for the hide and if there is any taxidermist in southeast tennessee that can prepare the hide for me. Also If i am feeling adventurous i may take on the project myself i just need advice on what to do from field to the house. Thank You all for the information and help.

Conrad

• 2 weeks later...

How about a deer that's been hit by a car? I smoked one this morning and since there arent any holes and the meat is bruised I'd like to do something with the hide. Think it's damaged where the impact was?

Edited by Buzzard217

You should be good. If you tan it with the "hair on" no problem at all (except maybe for some missing hair). If you are going to tan it for leather you may have some slight discoloration (bruising) on the skin. There should be plenty of good meat left. Don't waste it. A little soaking in ice water will remove the blood (bruising) from the meat. I hope this helps you out.

You should be good. If you tan it with the "hair on" no problem at all (except maybe for some missing hair). If you are going to tan it for leather you may have some slight discoloration (bruising) on the skin. There should be plenty of good meat left. Don't waste it. A little soaking in ice water will remove the blood (bruising) from the meat. I hope this helps you out.

Well this will be good info for next time (although I hope I never hit another deer with my car). I had the hide sitting out last night salted and rolled up and some critter came and ran off with it. Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...
Guest clutepc

If have a hide that I took off the deer on Friday but only thought about tanning it today, I've had it in a cooler on ice.

I've read that if you don't salt them a few hours after removing them from the deer that you won't be able to tan it without it losing the hair during the process.

Is that correct?

If so I'll try it on the next deer I harvest.