Taxidermy "How to"

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So if I wanted to make Mocs out of deer thicker and stiffer?

Cut the pelt to make thick and stiff for soles and thiner/more supple for uppers and stich?

So if I wanted to make Mocs out of deer thicker and stiffer?

Cut the pelt to make thick and stiff for soles and thiner/more supple for uppers and stich?

You are correct sir. Bellies and sides also work well for "supple" projects, and backs and shoulders work well for heavy weight projects. If you have a fleshing machine, or are really good with a knife, you can thin down the whole hide and then it wouldn't matter.

Alot of times, it also depends on how much you work the hide to get it soft. A thin hide can come out very "stiff" if not worked very well.

I hope this helps. If not, ask and I'll explain better if possible.

Edited by wd-40
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone wanting to learn Taxidermy, there are some really good resources available. Spending 2-3,000 dollars is not the answer. Heck, I'll teach ya for half that! I'm teaching Adamox2 for free....he just needs some more time off is all. Get you some "manuals" and You'll do fine. I actually recommend DVD lessons. They are very well covered. I will also make myself available to help each and every one of you as you progress along. You can contact me at my home number, at, 931-802-2138. I will do my very best and use my 35 years experience to solve your problem or help you out. I AM NOT running a commercial shop anymore, so I will feel good about helping any of you out.

This is free folks! Use it or loose it!

I found 2 DVD's from the American Taxidermy Institute For 10 a piece. One is coyote mounting and the other is game head mounting. I looked them up before I bought them and they looked promising. I found them on ebay brand new. They are a step ny step video from skinning to tanning to mounting and everything else.

To begin with, a stand is not needed for anything except game heads. Lets look at what I feel will be your first mount. A squirrel or coyote. I will just hit it "lightly" unless someone wants "detailed" information on the subject, and of course I will cover it.

Items needed to mount a squirrel:

Exacto Knife: for skinning and fleshing the face and feet.

Borax or Dry Preservavtive: Used during fleshing and mounting.

Body or Manniquin: Chosen based on needed size and pose.

Eyes: Based on size and species.

Cotton Bating: For wrapping the tail.

Thin stiff piece of wire: For tail.

Base: To mount your trophy on.

Potter's Clay: Used for setting eyes, noses, ear bases, toes and sculpting as needed.

Small Curved Sewing Needle: For sewing seam.

Small diameter nylon thread: Sewing seam.

Brass or Stainless Sewing Pins: Used to hold everything in place while drying.

Cardboard: Use small pieces from a cereal box to shape the ears while drying.

Small Paper Clips: Used to hold ear boards in place.

Light Cotton Twine: Used in the tail wrapping process.

Tooth Brush: Not for brushing the squirrel's teeth, but grooming his face, legs and feet.

Small Hairbrush: You guessed it! For the tail and body.

These Items that will NEVER change from species to species and should be kept on hand at all times.

Potter's Clay

Light and heavy Taxidermy sewing threads

Tanning and Preservatives

Pure Salt

Supply of light and heavy needles.

Sharp scizzors

Exacto Knife and blades.

All this will get you started. Then add to it as needed.

I hope this helps.

Edited by wd-40

For most things yes. If I'm fleshing a small animal such as a squirrel, raccoon or something along those lines, I find that a beer bottle works real well. Larger animals, I use flesfing board for my rough work and then to the beer bottle. Most all other things get finnished flesh on the fleshing machine.

I made my fleshing board from a 3 foot piece of 2x6. Take a rasp and angle the edges down and bring the front to a point. You will still need the "bottle" in small and tight areas.

Guest adamoxtwo

Heck I would like a new job just so I have more time!!! Dave has been great helping me. Again it's just lining up schedules that has been tough. I really want to learn how to do this so that I can teach my kids and do my own work.

• 2 years later...