Do I really want a Red Dot Sight RDS for carry?

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

Bowie Tactical did my slides but I actually did the stippling. It only took me 1...no 2...no 5 attempts before I got two that turned out good.:wall:

Thank God for those removable backstraps!  I have the setup to do stippling with a temperature controlled burner, but just haven't been able to work up the actual desire or find the time to try it.  I have a Sig P320 frame coming back soon from an incredibly talented gentleman in Arizona, so you could say I wimped out and left it to the pros.

I have the P320rx and there seems to be a limited availability/options on holsters at this point which has prohibited me from using it as an EDC. Otherwise I am deadly accurate with it and wouldn't mind carrying it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

• Administrator
10 hours ago, FJCrusing said:

I have the P320rx and there seems to be a limited availability/options on holsters at this point which has prohibited me from using it as an EDC. Otherwise I am deadly accurate with it and wouldn't mind carrying it.

I may pick up a compact model at some point.  I really just need to see how well the frame I have coming back mitigates muzzle flip.  I don't know if maybe I really need a Large frame instead of Medium, but I know that I have to focus harder on not letting the muzzle flip as much with my P320 than I do with my VP9, M&P or my Glock 19.

I believe my next setup will be a G19 MOS with Shield RMS red dot.  The included low profile mount allows cowitness with the stock iron sights (suppressor sights not required) and the side battery tray allows it to be swapped without removing the sight.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
8 hours ago, Refleks said:

I believe my next setup will be a G19 MOS with Shield RMS red dot.  The included low profile mount allows cowitness with the stock iron sights (suppressor sights not required) and the side battery tray allows it to be swapped without removing the sight.

I don't know how I have never heard of the Shield RMS before now, but I am very impressed based on what I have read this morning.  Nice!

I may pick up a compact model at some point.  I really just need to see how well the frame I have coming back mitigates muzzle flip.  I don't know if maybe I really need a Large frame instead of Medium, but I know that I have to focus harder on not letting the muzzle flip as much with my P320 than I do with my VP9, M&P or my Glock 19.

The good thing about the P320 (which I am sure you are aware) is the ability to change out the grip modules to help with that. I have a P320 Compact in .40S&W and have not noticed much muzzle flip like I would normally expect with a .40 and the P320rx I have in 9mm is basically non-existant and a pleasure to shoot. Even with 124gr 9mm that I shoot as compared to 115gr.

• Administrator
17 hours ago, FJCrusing said:

The good thing about the P320 (which I am sure you are aware) is the ability to change out the grip modules to help with that. I have a P320 Compact in .40S&W and have not noticed much muzzle flip like I would normally expect with a .40 and the P320rx I have in 9mm is basically non-existant and a pleasure to shoot. Even with 124gr 9mm that I shoot as compared to 115gr.

Yeah, I have a medium grip module out with Alex at http://sgarmory.com/ for his Stage-1 frame package (stippling, undercut) and should have it back this next week as long as everything stays on schedule.  I am hoping that the extra texture to the grip helps me lock it down tighter as it's the only handgun I own that I cannot really maintain an immovable grasp upon.

I would like to eventually find a size Large grip module and see if that makes any difference as well.

On 6/11/2017 at 3:01 PM, TGO David said:

Yeah, I have a medium grip module out with Alex at http://sgarmory.com/ for his Stage-1 frame package (stippling, undercut) and should have it back this next week as long as everything stays on schedule.  I am hoping that the extra texture to the grip helps me lock it down tighter as it's the only handgun I own that I cannot really maintain an immovable grasp upon.

I would like to eventually find a size Large grip module and see if that makes any difference as well.

I like the looks of that package with the undercut.  Looks like they have good pricing on their CNC milling compared to some I have seen.  Looking to add a Trijicon RMR06 to my Glock G20.  May go ahead and have them do that Stage 1 Frame Package if I send them my G20 frame for milling.   What did they quote you on turn around time? 

I'm 2 to 3 tenths slower on initial shot from holster. I practiced for a good 6 months and never really improved my time. I gave up and went back to irons for first shots and any fast repeat shots.

Now, to the good part. I'm not the most accurate shooter in the world. I have good training and fundamentals but super accurate shooting is just not something that happens for me. With the red dot my shots at 25 yards and out are way better. The difference is pretty close to incredible. So for me, I'm going to keep working with it. At this point I ignore it on the draw and go to it when I have the time. That's a win in my book...

• Like 2
  • Administrator
On 6/13/2017 at 10:02 PM, FJCrusing said:

I like the looks of that package with the undercut.  Looks like they have good pricing on their CNC milling compared to some I have seen.  Looking to add a Trijicon RMR06 to my Glock G20.  May go ahead and have them do that Stage 1 Frame Package if I send them my G20 frame for milling.   What did they quote you on turn around time? 

It's taken way longer than he said it would, unfortunately.  Quote was 4 weeks.  I'm sitting at nearly 8.

Looking into match barrels for a S&W Shield and came across this...

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/lone-wolf-distributors-shot-show-2017/

"The next treatment offered for the Shield is a slide cut that allows the installation of a red dot sight. This is a turn-key job on your slide for just $124.99. They are selling the Shield REFLEX MINI SIGHT, an aluminum-framed red dot that is sized perfectly for the Smith and Wesson Shield with either a 4 MOA dot or a 8 MOA dot. It uses one 3V lithium CR2032 battery that will last two to three years of normal use. Brightness is automatically adjusted based on environment. This set up only adds 0.61 ounces to your pistol."

Red dot sights are neat and all, but I can't see having one on a carry gun.  I've been shooting one competitively for a month and a half or so, and have mixed feelings about them.  I found out the hard way this weekend what happens when you step out of a cool environment and into a hot, humid one.  BAM!  The sight fogs up.  Not cool if you really needed it and co-witnessed iron sights, which I've never understood anyway, would also be useless.  I hope once I really get used to the gun, they will be faster, but I'm not yet fully convinced.  Indexing the gun by muscle memory is even more crucial than with an iron-sighted gun and if your the type to carry different platforms, it won't happen.  

• Like 1
On 6/17/2017 at 4:34 PM, Dustbuster said:

fb42db7347c40ca69469fca15e2edef6.jpga8ef18a7a753a0ae87ad6d90437a2b32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smith performance center 9 on top

Sig P320 9 mm full frame w rm06 was 180 for the slide cut and holes for the trijicon plus tall co witness iron sights!

I like!!!

Who did the work?  Looks good!

On 6/17/2017 at 8:11 AM, TGO David said:

It's taken way longer than he said it would, unfortunately.  Quote was 4 weeks.  I'm sitting at nearly 8.

That's not good to hear.  Hopefully they have at least kept in communication with you on the status.  I sent them a few emails and they were very responsive. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, FJCrusing said:

That's not good to hear.  Hopefully they have at least kept in communication with you on the status.  I sent them a few emails and they were very responsive. 

I'll let you know.  He was very responsive up until this past weekend.  Coincidentally I paid him for the work done, last week.

Going to send him another email tomorrow and see what the deal is.  I received a photo of a grip module last week, so if that was mine, it should be on the way to me by now.

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Red dot sights are neat and all, but I can't see having one on a carry gun.  I've been shooting one competitively for a month and a half or so, and have mixed feelings about them.  I found out the hard way this weekend what happens when you step out of a cool environment and into a hot, humid one.  BAM!  The sight fogs up.  Not cool if you really needed it and co-witnessed iron sights, which I've never understood anyway, would also be useless.  I hope once I really get used to the gun, they will be faster, but I'm not yet fully convinced.  Indexing the gun by muscle memory is even more crucial than with an iron-sighted gun and if your the type to carry different platforms, it won't happen.  

RMR or something else?

10 hours ago, TGO David said:

I'll let you know.  He was very responsive up until this past weekend.  Coincidentally I paid him for the work done, last week.

Going to send him another email tomorrow and see what the deal is.  I received a photo of a grip module last week, so if that was mine, it should be on the way to me by now.

I am hopelessly optimistic for you.  Keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 8:51 PM, TGO David said:

Ever receive your grip module back?

Getting in here way late, but I do have more than just a tiny bit of experience with Red Dot pistols....

There is a learning curve to it. It is not magic. You can't just buy one and it make you an awesome shooter. In fact if you are a GOOD shooter it might in fact make you a worse shooter for a while as you acclimate to the RDS. The first weekend after I got mine I shot a GSSF match and did better (demonstrably better) with my iron sighted gun than I did with my red dot gun. But that was comparing a gun I had less than 3 days with to a type of gun I'd been shooting for 20 years. Not a fair comparison at all. 

Part of that learning curve is finding the dot on the draw. If your draw is a random harem scarem "grip it, rip it and thrust it at the target and then try to find the sights" then you will be much slower finding the dot inside the little window. On the other hand if you smoothly draw the gun up into your eye line as you extend it while looking for the iron sights the dot will be there. This sounds simple (and is simple) but some people have a hard time with it until they actually PRACTICE doing it. 

The dot is not going to do anything for you at 3 to 5 yards that your irons will not do . The dot simply  adds (and multiplies) your ability at distance. In fact once you cross the 15 yard line the dot is like cheating due to the much smaller aiming point . BUT....it takes some getting used to. 

One other added benefit to the red dot is it is an on board dry fire tool. You can use it for dry fire practice to see via the dot's movement just how much trigger finger finesse you have. If the dot pretty well stays on the front sight as you press the trigger then your trigger manipulation is solid. If it jumps all over the place as you press the trigger then you need to work a bit more to smooth out your trigger control. 

Here's one of mine......

BvPubTgCQAIjO-u.jpg:large

• Like 3