Dave & Buster's Posted? (2017)

1 hour ago, Peace said:

Taking the fam for a little fun.  Has anyone been there lately?  Is it posted on the direct entrance to D&B?

-hope this finds you all well.  I know I've "been away" for a while.

Every thing I have found on them is the Home Company has a CCW policy but I have also seen some posts about some of them having metal detectors at the doors and Gun Buster signs up. I guess it is being left up to the managers of each location to make the call on how they handle it. I guess you won't know till you arrive there to see what that manager has done...............JMHO

I've never noticed any signs at either the direct entrance, the entrance from the mall, or the mall entrance itself.

The mall entrances all have their "rules" posted and one says something like "no weapons" but isn't anywhere close to being statutorily compliant. Though of course we don't really know if that would matter if one were charged with violating 39-17-1359 with a non-compliant sign since it has never happened.

11 hours ago, bud said:

I certainly wouldn't go looking for any signs unless you were planning to open carry. I've always had a good experience inside the place, but getting in and out, especially around closing time of the mall, there's been little hood rats fighting the last two visits. Large police presence now, but still not enough. That mall has gone to hell in terms of criminal activity, so much so that business is suffering. I won't be going to D&B's anymore on weekend nights after dark. Not because I'm afraid, but because on our last trip I felt like a fool for putting my family in that situation. 

My truck was broken into there this past Thanksgiving eve. The metro cop who responded didn't know I was armed, and he actually brought up the fact that he wouldn't go to that mall unarmed. It's a real shame. A "no unaccompanied minors" rule would help a lot, as would a couple of the would be muggers getting popped by legally armed citizens. The criminals know it's a "safe for criminals zone". :-\

sorry for the rant...

I have actually been to one of the D&B locations in Atlanta more than I have been to the one in Nashville.  Actually wasn't impressed by the Nashville one, at all but that is another story.  I know that the one in Atlanta - which is a stand-alone building full of awesome, or at least it was full of awesome the last time I was there, several years ago - has or used to have a sign up that there had to be an adult for every so many minors that entered.  I don't know if the Nashville one has such a sign or not and I know you meant the mall as a whole.  Just saying that someone else obviously thinks that is a good idea.

As for signs, I like to be compliant with the law but I also get pretty annoyed when, after jumping through hoops, paying fees, being vetted by the authorities and so on some business still wants to treat me like an armed thug.  To that end I try to avoid posted places but if I choose to enter one or have to enter one I may or may not have adopted the policy that concealed means concealed and if they ain't got metal detectors then they ain't posted.  Hypothetically speaking, of course.  I mean, a huge sign in plain sight is one thing but I just might miss a smaller, less obvious sign and probably wouldn't look too hard to find one. 

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I went to a Dave and Busters back many years ago that was a free standing one in Hermitage Tennessee. I looked and I don't see it anymore and the only one showing up in Nashville is at Opry Mills. I have been to Opry Mills exactly 3 times since is was built. Once I went there because I was riding with friends and they decided to go to BPS. @nd time was to go see a movie in the IMAX theater cause it was at the time the only one in town and the last time was while on a date and we stopped in at TGI Fridays for dinner. That was all over 10 years ago. I have heard so many things about the crime from the hoodies at the Mills that there is no way I would go unarmed and if I was denied entry I would just leave. You mentioned taking the family out for some fun. You may want to try this place! My son in law and daughter take the grand children there quite often and they say it is great. Use to bowl there and did carry concealed but that was also years ago. Don't know policy now.

http://hendersonville.strikeandspare.com/circus-world

• Like 1
10 hours ago, JAB said:

As for signs, I like to be compliant with the law but I also get pretty annoyed when, after jumping through hoops, paying fees, being vetted by the authorities and so on some business still wants to treat me like an armed thug.

I get a lot more annoyed and infinitely more insulted when it's the government, the same government that made me jump through said hoops to pay for vetting, tells me I still can't carry a weapon into property paid for and maintained by tax dollars.  At least with a private business they have some inherent property rights that enter into the equation.  It's annoying, but the hypocrisy of the same entity declaring me safe to carry a weapon then barring me from doing so in their footprint isn't in play.

22 hours ago, bud said:

I certainly wouldn't go looking for any signs unless you were planning to open carry.rant...

I'm of the mind that as law abiding carriers, that's very much what we're supposed to do at each and every place we find ourselves entering.  I find the concept that we're too dumb to notice a posting, not situationally aware enough to spot one at a decent enough glance insulting to our intelligence as a demographic, and worry that doing so intentionally opens us up to a line of political attack from those who are already against our carrying in the first place.

12 hours ago, btq96r said:

I get a lot more annoyed and infinitely more insulted when it's the government, the same government that made me jump through said hoops to pay for vetting, tells me I still can't carry a weapon into property paid for and maintained by tax dollars.  At least with a private business they have some inherent property rights that enter into the equation.  It's annoying, but the hypocrisy of the same entity declaring me safe to carry a weapon then barring me from doing so in their footprint isn't in play.

I'm of the mind that as law abiding carriers, that's very much what we're supposed to do at each and every place we find ourselves entering.  I find the concept that we're too dumb to notice a posting, not situationally aware enough to spot one at a decent enough glance insulting to our intelligence as a demographic, and worry that doing so intentionally opens us up to a line of political attack from those who are already against our carrying in the first place.

I agree about the government.  It is especially onerous that I can't carry my firearm into the place where I have to go to renew my permit in person.

As for the other, frankly, my way of thinking is that if it isn't 'worth it' to the owner of the property to post the sign in such a manner that it is easily spotted and clearly posted then it isn't 'worth it' to me to go on an Easter egg hunt to find the darned thing.  I have been places where I didn't see a posting until I was on the way out because the way the door opened when I entered covered the sign up.  You know what?  I legitimately did not see the sign, carried into those places and no one ever knew because I was carrying concealed.  Honestly, I think a lot of places post - and probably intentionally put the sign where it isn't front and center - just to shut the bedwetters up.  If, however, they have a very obvious sign clearly posted then I take that to mean they are more serious about said posting.  As OhShoot has said, before, I go to a restaurant to eat not to read signs.  I am not encouraging anyone else to adopt my mindset and, as I said, I generally avoid places that I know are posted whenever I can.  Further, I view a business as different from a person's home.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Tennessee is strange for actually having a weapons crime for licensees who violate 'no guns' signs but then again I thought Tennessee was odd until recently for not even letting people have loaded guns in their cars or still having to buy a permit to open carry.  I laugh when I hear that Tennessee is pro gun.  Yeah I guess it is not New Jersey where you have a slim chance of getting a carry license but there are quite a few states that carry wise have it better than Tennessee. 

Edited by 300winmag
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, JAB said:

As for the other, frankly, my way of thinking is that if it isn't 'worth it' to the owner of the property to post the sign in such a manner that it is easily spotted and clearly posted then it isn't 'worth it' to me to go on an Easter egg hunt to find the darned thing. 

[clipped for brevity]

I'm fine with all that, and I'm not saying people need to check the entrance like it's got a tripwire.  But a deliberate look at whether or not you're in violation of the law is something I think is a burden of responsible carrying.  I've had times where I've walked away and took my business elsewhere, and times when I went back to the truck and stowed my carry gun.  That's the individual decision to make depending on needs.

People with permits shouldn't have to worry about looking for signs or any other weapons charges.  That is the whole point of buying the stupid permit in the first place isn't it or so I thought?  It is kind of dumb when you pay 75 bucks for a class, a little over 100 for a permit, take the time for a class, and then turn around and you are legal at Kroger but illegal here or you have to look for a sign here.  Many other states have it a lot cheaper with less restrictions than what we have here. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 300winmag said:

People with permits shouldn't have to worry about looking for signs or any other weapons charges.  That is the whole point of buying the stupid permit in the first place isn't it or so I thought?  It is kind of dumb when you pay 75 bucks for a class, a little over 100 for a permit, take the time for a class, and then turn around and you are legal at Kroger but illegal here or you have to look for a sign here.  Many other states have it a lot cheaper with less restrictions than what we have here. 

I agree to an extent but there's still that pesky property rights issue.  As a semi-conservative state TN has gone to great lengths to preserve those rights as far as weapons are concerned.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bud said:

If you carry past a sign, whether intentionally or not, and have to use your firearm to defend yourself or others, are you exempt from prosecution for carrying past the sign?

'39-17-1322.  Defenses.

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim. "

"Part" is all of the 13xx section.

- OS

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Garufa said:

I agree to an extent but there's still that pesky property rights issue.  As a semi-conservative state TN has gone to great lengths to preserve those rights as far as weapons are concerned.

In a world where the government can tell a business that they have to let a man use the women's restroom because he 'identifies' as a woman or a bakery can be sued because they don't want to bake a cake for a particular wedding I have no problem with a business being told that they have to honor handgun carry permits.  At least we have to take a class, be vetted and carry a card saying that we really are what we say we are.  And, no, I don't agree with the first two - and maybe Tennessee hasn't gotten entirely gotten there (yet) but as those things are becoming more widespread every day and we are being told more and more that we have to 'accept' these things I do not think HCP holders should have to just go along with being an ostracized class.  People can just learn to 'accept' that we have made the 'lifestyle choice' to 'identify' as someone who is equipped and prepared to defend himself or herself.

Edited by JAB