Adding that one expensive firearm to the collection...

This is gonna sorta be a statement of fact and a question. I am at the point where I have most of the "cheap" guns for my WW2 firearms collection...at least all the ones i care to have. 

Currently on my list to add are a 1911A1, preferably a Colt or Ithaca, and a Walther G43/K43. Whichever of these I can find the best deal on sooner. They stay pretty well out of my normal reach though.

Therein lies the question: is there a firearm you want to add to your milsurp/C&R collection that eludes you because of the price tag, or perhaps there was one that you have since acquired?

My collection and firearm bug got started unfortunately when my father passed just shy of 10 years ago. I've not looked into older guns since I aquired my dads. A shocker to the family was the 1866 "Golden Boy" second model made in 1869 according to the serial. No one knows how it ended up with him. Other goods were a S&W 686 no dash 6" from 1982 and a Ruger MKI from 1976 I believe. Not had funds to even think about adding anything the last few years. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

My collection and firearm bug got started unfortunately when my father passed just shy of 10 years ago. I've not looked into older guns since I aquired my dads. A shocker to the family was the 1866 "Golden Boy" second model made in 1869 according to the serial. No one knows how it ended up with him. Other goods were a S&W 686 no dash 6" from 1982 and a Ruger MKI from 1976 I believe. Not had funds to even think about adding anything the last few years. 

Wow, yeah that 1866 Henry is an awesome heirloom. No telling how many hands have held that thing. 

12 hours ago, Ramjo said:

This is gonna sorta be a statement of fact and a question. I am at the point where I have most of the "cheap" guns for my WW2 firearms collection...at least all the ones i care to have. 

Currently on my list to add are a 1911A1, preferably a Colt or Ithaca, and a Walther G43/K43. Whichever of these I can find the best deal on sooner. They stay pretty well out of my normal reach though.

Therein lies the question: is there a firearm you want to add to your milsurp/C&R collection that eludes you because of the price tag, or perhaps there was one that you have since acquired?

You mean all of them?

There's still a bunch on my list, but kids and life in general always seem to suck up my discretionary cash. I'd really like a nice Garand. And a 1903.  And an SVT40. And an Enfield.  And a Sharps. And a Trapdoor. And a Spencer. And .... :) 

• Like 1
You mean all of them?
There's still a bunch on my list, but kids and life in general always seem to suck up my discretionary cash. I'd really like a nice Garand. And a 1903.  And an SVT40. And an Enfield.  And a Sharps. And a Trapdoor. And a Spencer. And .... default_smile.png 

Yeah I mean there's plenty that I'd love to add but those two were just my top 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, No_0ne said:

1894S-Mid-R_zpsc6dfd797.jpg

Like this?

So educate my dumb self, What an I looking at here. A Mosin Nagant, right? Is there something special about this model? Another question, is that sling attachment normal on some models? I picked up one recently because I wanted to have one, but I was no picky about model and ended up with a Chinese model transplanted into a composite stock. I was looking more for the cheap milsurp level rifle. 

As far as mine go, I have the Mosin and a Enfield. I would like to pick up a M1 Garand at some point, but I am probably spent out for a while. If I get really lucky, I will get a Dragunov at some point. 

It appears to me it's one of the early ones made here in the US for Russia. Notice the especially long serial number on the bolt and there are no letters/runes whatever you call them present.

1 minute ago, Ramjo said:

It appears to me it's one of the early ones made here in the US for Russia. Notice the especially long serial number on the bolt and there are no letters/runes whatever you call them present.

It is  Cyrillic I think

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Ramjo said:

Looks more like an M91, third configuration.  Made by Sestroryetsk in 1894.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

Looks more like an M91, third configuration.  Made by Sestroryetsk in 1894.

Bingo.  Original configuration, captured during the Russo-Japanese war of 1905.  No crossbolt in the stock; early flat sights calibrated for the 200 gr roundnose version of the 7.62x54r cartridge as introduced in 1891; sling swivel on the magazine, the other end of the sling would have attached either to a corresponding swivel on the front band or with a hook attached to the sling which was hooked across the front band screw, there's still some question as to when the Russians switched to the latter arrangement.  What you don't see in this picture is the Japanese characters inscribed in the heel of the stock identifying it as Japanese property, or the fact that this particular rifle has all Sestroryetsk parts marked according, an original matching rifle.  Photo courtesy of Russian-Mosin-Nagant-forum.com, the Showcase forum to be exact.

Edited by No_0ne
  • Like 1
So far, all of my "that one gun"(s) have come cheap. You just have to have patience, persistence, and cash in your pocket when the opportunity presents it's self.

I can't find a genuine Colt 1911a1 for less than $3000

Just now, Ramjo said:

I can't find a genuine Colt 1911a1 for less than $3000

Do like all the internet stories. Drop by a yard sale on a back road and find some old grandma selling it for $200. While you are there get the Garand for $75 and the WWII German Luger for $100. If they have any $12 .22 rifles let me know.

• Like 1
Do like all the internet stories. Drop by a yard sale on a back road and find some old grandma selling it for $200. While you are there get the Garand for $75 and the WWII German Luger for $100. If they have any $12 .22 rifles let me know.

LOL I did joke that I need to go to yard sales if I ever want to find one.

18 minutes ago, Ramjo said:

LOL I did joke that I need to go to yard sales if I ever want to find one.

Unfortunately, I think the days of somebody selling  "just an old gun" at a yard sale for a great price have past unless you are REALLY lucky. Either they have a rusty Rohm .22lr pistol that they want $300 for or they traded in that Luger for a $50 Wal-Mart gift card at the last gun buy back. :cry:

• 1 month later...