TGO David

Another CZ P-10C amongst us...

I finally found a CZ P-10C at a good price online and snatched it up.  While I might have usually gravitated towards an all-black model, this FDE was readily available and it seemed to me that I could use some variety in the palette department as well.

Tomorrow will be the maiden voyage with it at the range, but I've been dry-firing the snot out of it and took a moment to black out the rear sight's luminescent dots to provide a more simple sight picture until better irons come along.  My impressions so far are:

1. The grip texture is perfect.  Anyone who says it's too rough doesn't do any sort of manual labor and needs to harden the heck up.

2. The trigger is phenomenal.  Crisp, predictable, and the reset is short, tactile and audible.  It feels better than any Glock trigger I have tried yet.  The safety lever sits flush with the trigger face when depressed so I clearly don't have one that is going to rub a blister or anything silly like that.

3. The true ambidextrous mag release is excellent, albeit pretty stiff coming new out of the box.  I've been repeatedly ejecting an empty mag over and over tonight to loosen it up some.

4. The FDE is an interesting color and changes a bit depending on ambient light.  It's darker with more of a grey tinge than most pictures show.  It is pretty close in color to Magpul's FDE plastic AR-15 furniture.

Anyway, pics.  If you right click them and open in a new window, you can see them at a higher resolution.

i-vJVdNzV-XL.jpg

i-4T8wbSw-XL.jpg

i-SkVzctz-XL.jpg

• Like 2

?

I am joking. It is so hard to find that it is considered a crime to have one. Play on words. One lucky man. How do you rank it overall vs all the other guns you have shot?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, mcroid said:

I am joking. It is so hard to find that it is considered a crime to have one. Play on words. One lucky man. How do you rank it overall?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Ah, gotcha.  Yeah it has been really hard to find them.  I was able to pick this one up for $499 plus shipping.  About $30 higher than the best price I've seen, but the best price places are always out of stock.

From what I have been able to do just sitting around dry firing it, I am really impressed.  It feels like a combination of the best aspects of the Glock 19 (form factor), HK VP9 (grip ergos and slide-lock) and M&P M2.0 (grip texture and metal mag release) with some improvements on all of them.  It might really be the perfect striker-fired handgun for me.  I'll know more after I run some rounds through it tomorrow!

I prefer that color as well. Have you tried to use any of your G19 holsters? Some folks have claimed success with using various g19 holsters.

Also, let us know how the auto forwarding works once you've had a chance to shoot it.

22 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I prefer that color as well. Have you tried to use any of your G19 holsters? Some folks have claimed success with using various g19 holsters.

Also, let us know how the auto forwarding works once you've had a chance to shoot it.

My buddy bought one, it fits most of his G19 holsters

27 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

3 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

My buddy bought one, it fits most of his G19 holsters

It hasn't fit any of my G19 holsters so far.  It's close, but not quite.

• Raven Concealment Phantom: No
  • Bravo Concealment OWB: No
  • TT Gunleather Mike's Special: No

Have not yet tried an old Comp-Tac MTAC that I have lying around somewhere.  I'll try to find it later and see how it does.

18952750_10155299711355275_3338422270896

This thing is a work of art. So much win. The form factor of a Glock 19, the grip ergonomics of a CZ, truly ambidextrous controls including the mag release (without having to take it apart to reverse it or any silliness like that) and a trigger that would make John Moses Browning proud.

The only thing hinky about it, in my opinion, are the sights. The blacked out the rear dots will suffice until I can get something better for it. Hopefully, 10-8 Performance will start cutting their sights to fit.

I give it a solid 9/10. Now it just needs some leather.

• Like 3

When you're north of town sometime, please check with me to see if I'm at the shop that day. I'd love to see what yours is like.

6 hours ago, Steelharp said:

When you're north of town sometime, please check with me to see if I'm at the shop that day. I'd love to see what yours is like.

If I find myself there, I will indeed.

8 hours ago, Erik88 said:

David, any updates since you shot it?

Sure.  I've been slow to get back to this, so my apologies for having not done so sooner.

Currently, I have about 500 rounds through the P-10C and I would think that the gun's own total round count is about 600 at this point as I have been glad to let others shoot it at the range the few times that I have had it out there.  It's been fun seeing other people's reactions to it, just as it has been informational to see it eat a myriad of different brands of ammo.

Reliability...

To date, I have had absolutely zero malfunctions of any sort from it.  No failures to feed, eject, fire or for the trigger to reset.  I mention that latter point as there are a few folks on social media who are claiming that their P-10C's triggers sometimes do not reset fully, which I find very hard to believe.  My belief is that those individuals are just riding the trigger's reset too much and not letting it have the tiny 1/8th of an inch that it takes to reset.  I think they would have even worse problems with a Glock, an M&P, a P320, a VP9, etc. as those guns' triggers require even more travel to reset.

Ergonomics...

The grip's contour is perfect for my hand and I am able to get an extremely high purchase on it, driving the bore axis deeply down into the web of my thumb and forefinger.  Consequently, muzzle rise between shots is very slight and the splits between shots can be very fast.  Faster than I reacquire the sight picture, at least.  And the fully ambidextrous slide lock and magazine release controls are perfectly sized, shaped and located for me despite the fact that I have hands that would make Shrek proud.  Meaty with short thumbs.  But still, no problems manipulating the magazine release with barely any adjustment to my hold on the grip when I do so.

Trigger...

The trigger is what all of the pre-release reviewers raved about and I concur with their impressions of it.  It is precise, breaks cleanly and resets in such a short distance with a very firm feel and audible click.  The safety lever in the middle of the trigger seems to sit flush with the trigger shoe when I press it and doesn't bite or pinch my finger.  One shooter who borrowed it at the range did say that he was pinching his finger between the bottom of the trigger shoe and the trigger guard, but also offered that he does the same thing with all Glocks.  I have not had any such experiences with either the P-10C or any of my Glocks, so it must boil down to shooter physiology and the way they place their fingertip on the trigger.

Accuracy...

I have heard that the M&P 2.0 is at best a 2-3" grouper at 25yds even with the improved 1:10 twist barrel because of how the barrel locks up.  The P-10C is, conversely, an easy 1-2" grouper at the same distance.  I have had no problems keeping two magazines worth (30 rds) inside of a business-card sized box on a standard USPSA target at 15yds with a deliberate focus on doing so and a reasonably calm rate of fire.

Speedier "combat shooting" still yields a grouping the size of my fist with relatively no effort.  The gun doesn't make me look like a better shooter as much as it just really, really works well for me and allows me to focus more on shot placement than fighting with a tool that doesn't quite jive with my own physiology.  That's not to say that I am a great shot, but that it is a great tool that is capable of more than I am able to wring out of it.

Negative Points...

I dislike the photoluminescent sights that came on mine and am not sure I would have preferred the Tritium night sights any greater.  I was quick to black out the rear sight dots with some paint but would like to replace the sights entirely with something like the Ameriglo Hackathorn set with the orange outlined Tritium blade up front and the plain black notch in the back, or the 10-8 Performance plain black rear sight paired with a red fiber optic rod or even a gold dot up front.

I hope that CZ Custom hurries up and releases a sight combination like this soon.  One guy on M4Carbine.net said he ordered their SP-01 Shadow Combat rear sight and a fiber-optic front blade from them and was going to try it to see how Point of Aim and Point of Impact align.  I'm watching to see what he says about that setup and might copy him if it works.

The other negative point that is worth mentioning is that not many Glock 19 holsters really fit the P-10C in practice.  CZ touted this as a strength of the gun when it was in pre-release but I suspect they mostly meant "duty holsters" and not what most of us would carry with.  It doesn't fit my Bravo Concealment Kydex holster or my TT Gunleather leather holster for the Glock 19, but it does just barely fit my Comp-Tac MTAC Kydex/leather hybrid.  The P-10C is, in reality, a bit thicker in width than the Glock 19 and the slide ahead of the trigger guard is a little bit longer than the Glock 19.  This makes it harder to fit Glock 19 holsters than was advertised.

What's Next...

I ordered a Kydex OWB holster from HolsterCo and a leather IWB holster from TT Gunleather and cannot wait to receive either of them.  It will be late July before the leather arrives, but hopefully the Kydex holster will show up in the next 1-2 weeks.  Until then, this gun remains a range-toy and a safe-queen.

Beyond this, it has made me want to pick up another CZ of some sort.  Probably a P-07 since they can share mags. :)

• Like 2

I am a multiple CZ owner,the P10c is getting favorable reviews I am positive its a great striker fired pistol  but the whole reason I am a fan of CZ is its SA/DA trigger and all the value you get for the price.

18 hours ago, TGO David said:

[...] Beyond this, it has made me want to pick up another CZ of some sort.  Probably a P-07 since they can share mags. :)

David, don't do it! That's how it usually starts! First one, then two, then ten. :)

Edited by Obiwan

Hey David,

Wondering if you currently have a Glock 19 and if so, have you fired the G19 & CZ back to back for a real time comparison?

35 minutes ago, jh225 said:

Hey David,

Wondering if you currently have a Glock 19 and if so, have you fired the G19 & CZ back to back for a real time comparison?

Yes, several 19's still.  And yes, I have fired them back to back.  Just yesterday was the most recent session.  I think the P10C might be a hair more accurate than the 19 but I am equally accurate with both of them.

Were it not for the fact that I have several 19s already, and I had none, and I were in the market for a handgun right now, I would skip straight to the P10C.  It is everything the Glock 19 is and then some.  Truly ambidextrous controls, a better grip angle, better grip texture, stippling already on the side of the frame ahead of the takedown levers, and metal mags.

I love everything about it.  But the 19 is still my "first love" and I doubt I will ever part with any of them either.

Thanks David.

I'm a 1911 guy,  but I have/had quite a few plastic guns including Glocks. I think I may just have to get a P10C to go along with my G19 and have myself a comparison test too.

If nothing else, it is a heck of a lot less coin out of the piggyback than another custom 1911. :rock:

• Like 1

David, thats great to hear!!! I have the P-07 and it makes me look deadly at 15 yds. There isn't much I would change! I'll have to see if I can find one!

8 hours ago, jh225 said:

Thanks David.

I'm a 1911 guy,  but I have/had quite a few plastic guns including Glocks. I think I may just have to get a P10C to go along with my G19 and have myself a comparison test too.

If nothing else, it is a heck of a lot less coin out of the piggyback than another custom 1911. :rock:

Yes indeed, far cheaper than another custom 1911.  And the great thing is that the P10C is in pretty high demand right now, so if you were to buy one and decide you didn't like it, I cannot imagine you would have any trouble selling it quickly and for a very fair price.

1 hour ago, sybo said:

David, thats great to hear!!! I have the P-07 and it makes me look deadly at 15 yds. There isn't much I would change! I'll have to see if I can find one!

I am still very torn on whether or not I want to buy a P-07.  The irrational part of me thinks it would be a fantastic addition to the library, but the rational part of me constantly reminds me that I favor striker-fired guns and SA-only guns.

Sooner or later the irrational side will win. :)

It's a CZ thread. Never mind.

Edited by Steelharp

Was heading home from VA yesterday, stopped at Outdoor Junction, exit 290 on I-40. They had a P10, asked to see it. Greg, guy behind the counter was great to visit with. He said he didn't get all the hype either. I tried it, trigger was awful. Lighter than 10 lbs, but like pulling through a thick sponge. I have yet to feel a decent trigger on one of these.