Batman is Gone

I was around 12 when Batman swooped in on the tv. I spent many a half hour watching the really bad acting and listening to corny dialog. I'd like to say that even back then I knew how bad it was, but I watched anyway. Sometimes just to make my Dad a little angry with it. Yep...I was a nasty little brat back then too.

He' always just ask how I could waste time watching such trash and sit and shake his head at it and me.

Yes, good memories of those days.

Thanks for those good times Mr. West.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, hipower said:

I was around 12 when Batman swooped in on the tv. I spent many a half hour watching the really bad acting and listening to corny dialog. I'd like to say that even back then I knew how bad it was, but I watched anyway. Sometimes just to make my Dad a little angry with it. Yep...I was a nasty little brat back then too.

He' always just ask how I could waste time watching such trash and sit and shake his head at it and me.

Yes, good memories of those days.

Thanks for those good times Mr. West.

My Dad loved it as much as I did. We watched it every week.

1 minute ago, Steelharp said:

My Dad loved it as much as I did. We watched it every week.

That's great, Steel. Dad was a real hardcase at times. A real no nonsense sort. Some shows he would tolerate, but about all he really watched would be news and Red Skelton.

The only reason we even had a tv was Mom's insistence that we "needed" one to occupy me. I was a bit sickly growing up.

But not important, memories are what you have and how you made them.

10 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

He showed his great sense of humor as the Honorable Mayor Adam West.

He had something to offer for every generation...and Family Guy is without a doubt the greatest animated TV show ever.

• Like 1

the old man lived across the road from me when I was growing up watched wrasslin every sat night. They didn't have indoor plumbing, but he had a TV and you could hear him yelling at the tv from across the road.

I hadn't heard about Adam West's death until I saw this thread, just now.  I was born in 1971 so when I watched the show as a kid it was reruns.  I also don't think I realized how silly it was at the time - I just knew that there was a show about comic book characters so I loved it.  Plus Yvonne Craig in that Batgirl costume was probably one of the first women I 'noticed' - even though I might not have fully realized what it was I was noticing at the time :nervous: (the various actresses playing Catwoman never caught my attention the way Batgirl did but then I was always a Mary Anne guy over Ginger.)

In more recent years, as I lived next door to my mom, I would often hang out with her on Saturday evenings just to spend time with her.  There wasn't much on television at that time so we would often watch the old shows on MeTV, including Batman.  We realized it was campy and, honestly, pretty stupid sometimes - my mom would even comment on how stupid it was - but we usually watched it, anyway.  I particularly remember watching it when I was staying at her house, largely bedridden (in a small bed she kept in her den where the television was) while recovering after the surgeries when my colon ruptured and I found out I had cancer.  The silliness and memories of childish thoughts that comic book heroes could be 'real' were a help during that rough time - and so was mom who had to pretty much take care of me, at least for the first week or so.

Many of you know that mom passed away on March 31 from brain cancer and her house burned down a few weeks later due to a power surge.  So Adam West and his stupid, campy, beautiful television show filled my childhood with dreams of heroes, lifted my spirits during one of the most trying times in my life and helped me create memories of my mom in a house I lived in as a child and which, now, no longer exists.  I don't think I realized until just now how much all those 'BOFFs' and 'POWs' really meant to me.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 5