Pizza Hut is Anti

So I just went over to pick up something to eat from Pizza Hut.  Since my order was not ready in the indicated time I decided to use their wifi to check TGO for the 98th time today.

I was denied.  Apparently guns are bad and such types of sites are blocked.

If the pizza is as good as it looks I will go back but for those who like to know these things about who they do business with well, there you have it.  :)

2 minutes ago, mcroid said:

So it popped up with something that said you can't browse this site?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Yep.  I forget the exact wording (one sentence) but it was definitely blocked.

• Moderators

Honestly most of the time companies consult out to block “inappropriate sites” to some IT company and a firewall gets set in place to do so. It’s possible that no single person even ever technically said “Hey, let’s try and block gun forums” but rather the IT guy asked “Do you want to block sites condoning hate/violence, online gambling, and piracy along with adult sites?” and of course someone said yes.

Possible, that’s all I’m saying. However TGO gets marked by sites that setup such categorizing and filtering is up to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Honestly most of the time companies consult out to block “inappropriate sites” to some IT company and a firewall gets set in place to do so. It’s possible that no single person even ever technically said “Hey, let’s try and block gun forums” but rather the IT guy asked “Do you want to block sites condoning hate/violence, online gambling, and piracy along with adult sites?” and of course someone said yes.

Possible, that’s all I’m saying. However TGO gets marked by sites that setup such categorizing and filtering is up to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without a doubt but "gun" is real easy to put in the filter.  In modern American spelling it's a four letter word.  :lol:

• Like 1

Dealing with mom last year, I found two hospitals whose WiFi filters blocked several places I tried to frequent, including TGO.  Was able to cripple around to them some using TOR browser.

Returning to one of them recently, it was wide open now. Whatever.

- OS

Considering the bad PR and liability that would open up if the story on the news was someone used the free Wi-Fi at a local Pizza Hut to arrange a gun buy (say via Facebook) then commit a crime...yeah you can see why "gun" "firearms" "gun+sales" ect would be put into the web filter.  Yes, I know that doesn't prevent it 100%, but it does let the company say they tried to prevent it or some such.

@Garufa, be interesting to know from a a tech standpoint if you were using a mobile web browser and/or TapaTalk to try.

PR heck, a gun swap is usually setup beforehand, nobody goes somewhere to setup a gun buy.  Here are work we switched networks, now all our traffic is handled by our higher headquarters.  TGO is GTG, but another forum, Castboolits, I can get to the site but can't read any of the posts, they're blocked with a standard DOD message and the reason it give is "Weapons; Suspicious" , so I suspect they are actually reading/scanning content before rendering it.  I guess the army/DOD doesn't want me to know how to cast my own bullets.