The future of Gun Shows....

Gun Show and ????  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What other item would you like to see combo'd with a gun show?

• Boat/Fishing
    • Bikini
    • Car/Truck
    • Bob Ross Paint Academy
    • Survival/Prepper
    • Nothing at all

The poll needs another choice - nothing.  Have the same rules as the Tulsa shows, gunshows are for guns.  No prepping supplies, cheap clothes, beef jerky, camping gear, those damn annoying taser/zapper/bug laser/whatever they are displays, etc.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

The poll needs another choice - nothing.  Have the same rules as the Tulsa shows, gunshows are for guns.  No prepping supplies, cheap clothes, beef jerky, camping gear, those damn annoying taser/zapper/bug laser/whatever they are displays, etc.

Updated. LOL

Well, I thought about bikinis but I don't think I'd want to see most of the folks that I have seen at past gun shows in bikinis so that's out. :stunned::eek:

Prepping stuff?  Maybe it would be more appropriate to have a prepping show/expo with a portion of the sales floor dedicated to guns/ammo/reloading supplies rather than vice versa.

I guess I'll go with 'nothing'.  Honestly, about the only think I'd like to see that is usually missing from gun shows would be actual deals rather than people trying to sell guns for $50 to $100 more than I can buy them at an LGS.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 6
26 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Hickock45 in a Borat-style slingshot mankini doesn't do it for ya?

While I like watching Hickock45 as much as anyone, I think I threw up a little when I read this....

13 minutes ago, 1fast4by said:

I saw no option for whiskey... What the heck gives??

While whisky is great, due to my past experiences related to when guns and alcohol come together, I thought it best to leave it out. Plus, it causes the need for all kinds of extra permits and licenses.

8 hours ago, Garufa said:

I go to guns shows for guns and gun related stuff; however, if some tasty beef jerky is being offered I will sample and purchase.

Even before I opened this thread I knew you were going to drop some hints about your jerky fetish. :)

• Like 3

The future of gun shows for me is over. The prices have gotten way out of hand.  I've been doing my gun related buying through the internet. I shop prices, make my choice, and the item is sitting on my porch in a few days. Guns go through my local FFL dealer.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Ray Z said:

The future of gun shows for me is over. The prices have gotten way out of hand.  I've been doing my gun related buying through the internet. I shop prices, make my choice, and the item is sitting on my porch in a few days. Guns go through my local FFL dealer.

I haven't been to a gun show in...well, I can't remember exactly how many years but I'd say at least three or four.  I have been thinking about going to one of the Knoxville Expo or Chilhowee Park ones specifically because there is a guy there who sells some hard-to-find magazines usually for a little cheaper than I have found online, especially when you factor in shipping.  I would like to find a couple extra for my FEG SMC-380.  It isn't a priority, though, because the one mag I have with it works fine and I rarely even shoot it - more just a 'if I have the gun I'd like to have extra mags' thing.  Last time I checked he didn't have the SMC-380 but had the mags for the slightly larger 'brother' to the SMC and those mags will work in the SMC but will protrude a little from the mag well.  Bonus, though, is that they hold an extra round or two over the SMC mags.

There used to be a guy who was affiliated with a brick and mortar gun store who would come to the smaller show (Great American Gun and Knife Shows were the promoters) that were held at the National Guard Armory in Maryville.  I used to really like going to that show but only because he was there.  He would sell things that the store had acquired but didn't necessarily want to sell in the store.  These were old but still serviceable guns that were nothing special but were good shooters/user guns and many were priced at under $100.  I actually bought several from him over the course of a few, different shows.  Those are the kinds of things I like coming across at gun shows.  If I am going to spend several hundred dollars on a gun I want to go to an LGS where I will have a good, solid point of contact after the sale, just in case.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, JAB said:

I haven't been to a gun show in...well, I can't remember exactly how many years but I'd say at least three or four.  I have been thinking about going to one of the Knoxville Expo or Chilhowee Park ones specifically because there is a guy there who sells some hard-to-find magazines usually for a little cheaper than I have found online, especially when you factor in shipping.  I would like to find a couple extra for my FEG SMC-380.  It isn't a priority, though, because the one mag I have with it works fine and I rarely even shoot it - more just a 'if I have the gun I'd like to have extra mags' thing.  Last time I checked he didn't have the SMC-380 but had the mags for the slightly larger 'brother' to the SMC and those mags will work in the SMC but will protrude a little from the mag well.  Bonus, though, is that they hold an extra round or two over the SMC mags.

There used to be a guy who was affiliated with a brick and mortar gun store who would come to the smaller show (Great American Gun and Knife Shows were the promoters) that were held at the National Guard Armory in Maryville.  I used to really like going to that show but only because he was there.  He would sell things that the store had acquired but didn't necessarily want to sell in the store.  These were old but still serviceable guns that were nothing special but were good shooters/user guns and many were priced at under $100.  I actually bought several from him over the course of a few, different shows.  Those are the kinds of things I like coming across at gun shows.  If I am going to spend several hundred dollars on a gun I want to go to an LGS where I will have a good, solid point of contact after the sale, just in case.

Try http://gunmagwarehouse.com/

https://www.cdnnsports.com/?SID=48cfphe6tais72monbus9m8hs1

or   http://southernohiogun.com/

I really think gun sales and auction sites have done for guns what eBay did for yard sales. Up side is that you can shop and find the best available price from the recliner. The bad deal is that a lot of sellers want what the highest auction they can find ended at. Since lots of LGS are watching the prices, it even reduces the chance of finding a diamond in the rough great deal.

Gun shows are dead; the internet killed them. There is no room for another layer of cost on guns.

I would like to see (and I think it will eventually happen) Distributors done away with and manufacturers sell directly to local dealers.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Looks like nothing at all is way in the lead.

Told you.  Gunshows are for guns, if you want to see any of those other things there are far better options and venues.  I don't want to even think of the average gunshow visitor in a bikini ...

9 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Since lots of LGS are watching the prices, it even reduces the chance of finding a diamond in the rough great deal.

Yep, and even private sellers have a better idea of what they have. About the only good deals at gun shows are the privates sellers walking in with something they inherited and just want to get rid of.

• Like 1