Truck/Trunk Bags

I finally got out of the Miata-life and bought a 4Runner. I did so with mostly practicality in mind, but part of my motivation for the upgrade was preparedness. I've been tossing the idea around for a couple weeks of getting together a backpack to keep in the truck both for minor emergencies and possibly to serve as a 'get home' bag in a SHTF situation where I'm stuck at work and need to get home. Things like first aid, a decent flashlight, maybe a fire steel, etc. This may end up doubling as a range bag for competitions so I may keep a couple of boxes of 9mm handy if the bag permits. 

Do any of you guys keep a similar bag in your truck/trunk? What are some good things to keep in it that most people may not think about? How do you rotate things to make sure they aren't useless? (bandaids and similar things can only take so much heat I assume)

One thing up front. I am not covering a firearm. That is a personal choice based on your permit status and how comfortable you are at having one in the car while you are not with it.

I keep one that is probably larger than it should be. Not in weight, just in "over preparedness". I have a 3rd row seat SUV now, so it gets tossed in the cargo area. Mine is mainly aimed at a "Get Home Bag" idea but with the side benefit of being things that are necessary at times in my day-to-day..  I am not that far from home most days (usually about 15-20 miles). I also am able to dress in a way that allows me to be comfortable if I needed to hoof it home in the clothes I have. If you can't in your work attire, include a good set of hiking/work boots or shoes and a change of clothes (including socks!).

The area between my workplace and home is a moderately rural area. I am not going to be camping out, fishing, or hunting on my way, so I left that stuff out. If things are bad enough that I need to put the full bag to use, I am moving as fast as I can home. I would only stop if necessary. So I am prepared if I need to hunker down for a bit in the dark or need to rest a bit to get my wind back. I do not relish walking around shining a flashlight to advertise my location if the crap has taken a whirl. If things are really bad, people will be looking for those better prepared to relieve of their supplies and possibly their lives. I am not in the best shape, so I see the possibility of this being a 2-3 day hike based on how I need to go, environmental obstacles, and who I need to avoid.

Simplified list of things I have included:

Backpack - normal hiking type, not tacticool.

Maps of the areas I am routinely in. (I know the way home, but my normal route may be blocked or a less conspicuous route preferred)

S.O.S. Rations Emergency 3600 Calorie Food Bar (long shelf life, not hurt by heat, no cooking required)

SOS Emergency Water Packets (easier to pack and last longer than a bottle)

Water purifying tabs

Water purifying straw

Aluminum water bottle/canteen

Metal cup

Boonie hat

Hatchet

Knife(s)

Firestarter/tinder

paracord

First aid kit

Rain cover for backpack

Poncho

Flashlight(s) ( extra batteries too)

Glow sticks (Green and Red)

compass

Fuel tab stove

Solar/crank radio/flashlight combo

Gloves

Tarp ( to be used as a ground cover or improvised shelter)

Toilet paper

Small tool kit (screwdriver, crescent wrench, vice grips, etc.)

Duct Tape

I am sure I have a few more things tossed in there, but I am going by memory. Take a grain of salt with my list. I have seen tons of lists of what you need in your GHB or BOB. You need to decide how elaborate you want it, what aim it has, and how much you want to invest. I tend to be one that carries more than I have to have, be it this bag, or my tool kit at work. Whatever you decide to put it in, it never hurts to be prepared.

I have one of these...  http://www.511tactical.com/push-pack.html

It started life as daddy's diaper bag, but was promoted to get home bag duty once that phase ended. It's small and light enough  that I can't over pack it and end up having to lug a 40lb bag around. 

It contains all the usual stuff... knife, cord, energy bars, water bottles, bug spray, sun screen, lighter, flashlight, first aid kit, etc.   I've also got some MRE type meals and sterno cans that live elsewhere in the car. I also have a tool kit, fire extinguisher, tow strap, a couple old towels, more rope, and probably some other stuff that lives in the car. I keep extra warm clothes (boots, pull over, toboggan, wool socks) in the winter. 

For an urban GHB, if you aren't going to have to cover a huge distance (<25 miles), and its just you, I would keep the bag "fast and light".  I wouldn't plan on camping out.  The more ppl realize things have gone south, the worse things would likely get imho.  My list is: Everyday backpack, nothing flashy/tactical and probably neutral colored; extra pair of clothes/ shoes/boots if you have to wear dress/business casual during the day; good knife, multitool, multiple Powerbars and water, few pieces of hard candy, FAK, gloves, couple of black/brown garbage bags, small roll of duct tape, small quality flashlight, lighter, a reasonable amount of cordage, small pepper spray and sidearm of your choice.  Adjust clothing to match reasonable climate expectations, but again I'd try to keep it light.  

Edited by Shorty

I kind of have 'tiers' of 'get home stuff', I suppose.  When I had the medical issues (colostomy bag that was, eventually, reversed - thankfully) I had to carry supplies with me all the time.  I also, in the beginning - due to surgical wounds - couldn't stand wearing any kind of pants except ones with loose, elastic waistbands and no belt.  That meant not really carrying anything in my pockets, anyway.  Because of this I got used to carrying an edc bag and by the time the immediate medical need ended, I had decided that I really liked doing so.  For that reason I began trying out different edc bags and items.  I have one of the 5.11 PUSH packs like peejman linked, above (mine is flat dark earth color) that I carried for about a year and liked but then decided to try the RUSH MOAB 6.  That pack, paired with a Rothco (I think) bottle carrier is my current edc.  It comes in to work with me every day and sits beside me at my desk.  I really like it for that purpose although I must admit it is a bit much for carrying around on weekends when I am out and about with friends, etc. so it often stays in the truck rather than going with me on those occasions.  In fact, I am thinking about setting the PUSH pack up as my 'weekend warrior' with a slightly different/more streamlined and stripped down list of supplies.

I also have a SOG sling pack that stays in the truck.  It has a few supplemental items and has room to toss a few other, slightly larger items I keep in the truck into.  I don't have the sling pack full but, instead, am thinking that if I really had to go on foot I would put some or all of the contents of the RUSH pack into the sling pack.  I actually used the sling pack as my edc before getting the PUSH pack but it is a little less convenient to carry and use on a daily basis than the PUSH or the RUSH, IMO.  However, it would be easier to deal with and carry in a 'have to walk home and might take a couple of days' situation.

The third tier is a clear, plastic tote/bin with a lid.  In it I keep a few bottles of water, a couple of can's of Campbell's soup, a can of SPAM and a few, other things along with a Sterno folding stove and a few cans of fuel.  These wouldn't be so much for taking with me as for in case - for some reason - I had to shelter in place with my vehicle for some time before I even could begin walking home or in case it is possible to get home in my vehicle but road conditions, etc. that I have to stop for extended periods of time or even in case I got stranded for some reason in a non SHTF event and had to hunker down for an extended period.  I also keep a couple of Mountain House type meals in the truck that I would take with me if I had to abandon the vehicle.

This is the RUSH pack as it sits at my desk:

IMG_20170322_113553234_HDR.jpg

The small compartment made onto the strap - probably intended to hold an MP3 player, etc.

IMG_20170616_114914768.jpg

but mine holds:

1f05792f-dd00-46e3-bdb5-023b36230dbe.jpg

Yeah, the paint on the Sabre can is a little beaten up but the spray is good until 2020

The bottle holder has:

IMG_20170616_114649563.jpg

I don't keep the bottle full of water for weight purposes but if I had time before heading out of work, etc. I would fill it with potable water before leaving.  I plan to eventually replace the bottle with a single walled stainless version but for now the cup could be used to boil water, if necessary.

As shot of the contents of the small, rear compartment on the bag, itself:

IMG_20170616_114939358.jpg

The usual - bank line, paracord, etc.  Funny thing, the mini sewing kit might seem a little out of place but as this is also an edc bag the chances of me needing that are probably higher than needing a lot of the other stuff.  Some more stuff in that compartment that isn't immediately visible in the above pic:

IMG_20170616_115036283.jpg

The small, lightly padded sunglasses compartment holds, surprise - a cheap pair of sunglasses.  But I keep them rolled up in a 100% cotton bandana to both help further protect the sunglasses and provide me with a cotton cloth if needed.

2afa8aed-dc3d-4514-8088-88f025c5fed9.jpg

3c89f1a4-908d-4702-8515-f63c28d9c17d.jpg

The larger, middle compartment holds:

IMG_20170616_115250294.jpg

Just a few of the things in there are soft leather work gloves, a headlamp, a lightweight backpacker's tarp, a super-compact umbrella and a very large, clear trash can liner.

The mesh compartment holds a small Ozark Trail brand flashlight on which the end section slides up so that it can double as a small lantern (which is why it is in there) as well as a SAK, small measuring tape and sundry cables for cell phone, etc.  There is a second, zippered compartment below the mesh compartment that holds a small, Band-Aid brand travel first aid kit that I have supplemented by adding a few OTC pain pills, etc.

And finally the front compartment:

IMG_20170616_115423034.jpg

Among its contents is a more 'tactical' flashlight - not high end, just a Bushnell but it works well, is bright enough for me, seems sturdily built and has a pretty mean strike bezel.  You might notice I have multiple, small lights - as well as pretty much always carrying some type of small light on my keychain.  Also in that compartment is a retractable honing steel, Gerber Suspension multitool (yeah, I know there are Gerber multitool haters but I like them pretty well), a couple of 'disposable' rain panchos (remember, this is also an edc bag), a small spray container of bug repellent, some liquid bandage, a comb, travel toothbrush, travel-sized toothpaste, pens, a small fire kit in an Altoids tin and maybe a few, sundry other things (this reminds me I need to replace the small pad of paper I had in there.)

I do not use the concealed carry compartment on this bag as I can't carry at work and really am not a fan of off body carry, anyhow.  When not at work and in a location where I can carry my primary handgun would be whatever I am carrying on me at the time.  I may or may not have a handgun in a lockbox in my vehicle.

While there are a few things that are included with a view to SHTF, etc. many of things in the bag - although it might seem a bit much for edc - have actually proven to be useful in daily activities.  I try not to go too overboard but at the same time I am a fan of the old saw that it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  

• Like 1

My first emergency packs ended up being medium and large ALICE packs. I had every thing needed to survive for a few weeks or a month. One day I realized that I was carrying waaaay too much. 

Off the top of my head, here's what I've got in my trunk bag:

Poncho, first aid kit, fire starters, knife, multi tool, light sticks, some sealed MRE granola bricks, wool socks, wool glove liners, skoal can size survival kit, multi tool, British emergency shelter kit (lightweight tough tarp, stakes, tie downs), thin steel wire and compass. Oh, and some .22LR and a few 9mm sealed in plastic skoal cans.

I have one in my wife's vehicle for her. Sort of same set up but I make her keep a pair of tennis shoes in the trunk in the event she has to abandon the vehicle.  

• Like 1