Rough past few weeks for the Navy

We lost a shipmate overboard from the USS Normandy

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/navy-sailor-remains-missing-overboard-47933877

Then the other supposed man overboard from the USS Shiloh, who turned out to be hiding. I will not speculate on the root cause there. https://www.navytimes.com/articles/surprise-cruiser-shiloh-sailor-presumed-overboard-and-dead-discovered-hiding-on-board

Now we have an at sea collision with reported 7 Sailors missing. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/06/16/navy-ship-collides-japan-merchant-ship/405370001/

5 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but just how does two vessels the size of those two not be able to see and avoid colliding with each other???????:confused:

It would be almost impossible. There are rumors that the other ship was running dark with its AIS systems turned off.

We will see.

SadAngel.gif  Prayers to the crew and their families. SadAngel.gif

• Like 3
3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

It would be almost impossible. There are rumors that the other ship was running dark with its AIS systems turned off.

We will see.

Wonder what they were smuggling that they are running dark with AIS off. Never heard of big container ships doing that!!!!!!  

Combat deaths are one thing...deaths in preventable accidents are something I hate hearing when it comes to our military.  The end result is something tragic in how it turned out the way it did, but at least their families have the closure instead of a lost at sea scenario to confuse their grief.

Edited by btq96r
5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

We will see.

I too have been seeing "stuff" and ideas on some of the Navy sites I visit. I am not trying to bring about any tin foil hat stuff but the thought of the Filipino manned vessel and the very, very curious course the container vessel took. Add the fact that our Filipino brethren are dealing with Abu Sayyaf does make me wonder.... 

I could see a lack of AIS causing a problem for another civilian ship.....at night.....maybe. But for one of our highly sophisticated military vessels to not know that ship was there, AIS or not..... no way. Heads and careers should roll, lives were lost and significant damage done for no reason other that incompetence. 

• Like 2