Milsurp bolt rifles

For years I collected Mosin Nagants by arsenal and production year. I made the decision last year to get completely out of the Mosin collecting. I told myself that my shoulder would appreciate the break lol. 

Since I have "a little" 7.62x54r laying around I figured I needed a VEPR in 7.62x54r to use up the ammo :-) but that's for another forum.

The only two bolts I have left are two Mausers. One is a Yugo K98 with beautiful wood. It's dead accurate. 

My other K98 is German Nazi marked Russian Capture. Its VG+ and I've never fired it. Al swastikas and waffenamps are intact. 

For whatever reason the Mausers are not as punishing to shoot as the Mosins. 

I'm concentrating these days in semi auto rifles and every time I ponder moving these last two Mausers I get them out and say "No. Can't do it."

i never got into the Italian stuff and I have owned a couple of French MAS bolts through the years but they never really bit me with the bug like Mosins and Mausers. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Billrube said:

For whatever reason the Mausers are not as punishing to shoot as the Mosins. 

Sounds like you have a fascinating collection. I have an M48 and 91/30 and my experience shooting them is the opposite with surplus ammo.  The Mosin can bite if you're not paying attention, but the Mauser is a friggin cannon. It's fun, but I think I've got a lifetime supply of ammo for it. 

the 91/30s shoot lighter than the M38,M44, M91/59 carbines. 100 rounds through any Mosin carbines in a range day will leave a mark lol.

Well, the Turkish 8mm surplus ammo is hot. But it goes bang every time. Ive got Turk, Yugo mainly and some Romanian steel case stuff. These all are less punishing than the Turk.

Some say the Turk was supposed to be machine gun ammo. I can believe it.

• Like 1

I'm all into milsurp bolt actions.  It was my dad's thing and he passed it on to me.

Mosin's will put a hurt on you after a while but I have a theory based on thousands of rounds.  First, when surplus ammo was cheap I would go pop off 60-80 rounds or however much I brought in one session to the point I was just pulling the trigger so I didn't have to take any ammo home.  That's punishing in and of itself.  Second, Mosin's have a shorter stock than normal rifles.  I firmly believes that makes a difference.

I broke down and put a nancy pad on my main Mosin and it definitely helped in increasing that length of pull and getting an extra 20-40 rounds out of a ammo burning session.

Now, an 8mm in K98 configuration with proper 196 gr  surplus ammo is absolutely brutal.  The heavier the bullet the more it kicks...or beats you up.  Romanian surplus 8mm carries 150 gr bullets and Is a joy to shoot compared to Turkish and Yugo.  While the Turkish is the hottest of the bunch, it is not "machine gun ammo".  I think it's just more suited to the longer barreled Mauser the Turks made.  I know the Turk stuff I have performed noticebly different in my Yugo M48 (shot was high) than Yugo and Romanian stuff.

My '43 nazi stamped Mauser Oberdorf K98 has not tasted corrosive ammo since WWII and never will.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3

My name is Sunfish and I'm a real Mauser-holic. Yes they kick pretty hard in 8mm with full power loads. They kick much harder in 9.3x62 and 35 Whelen and 8-06 though. This all started with a 7.7 jap as a child which was a cock on close action and pricey Norma ammo and evolved to where it is today. There were Mosin's and Enfield's and 03's along the way. My only 03 was a straight stock and I was about 11 when I would take the wheelbarrow and a can of ammo to the creek and shoot until my shoulder was green it was bruised so bad. The creek was the perfect place to learn because I could see where every shot hit without walking back and forth. I got away from the rimmed cartridges and nearly everything I have is based on the 30-06 with few exceptions. I don't get to shoot as much as I would like but I make a day of it when I go  

• Like 1

I'm Ramjoe and I'm here to tell you all that I am a milsurp nut! But seriously, if you want a bruised shoulder, lay down that m44 and pick up a Steyr M95 straight pull carbine. 8x56r in a package slightly smaller yet lots lighter than the m44.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Ramjo said:

I'm Ramjoe and I'm here to tell you all that I am a milsurp nut! But seriously, if you want a bruised shoulder, lay down that m44 and pick up a Steyr M95 straight pull carbine. 8x56r in a package slightly smaller yet lots lighter than the m44.

Ramjo, strangely enough I've never had an affinity for the straight pull rifles. The little Steyrs look like a monster to shoot. They hardest shooting rifle I ever bought milsurp wise was a 91/59. It hurt so bad I traded it after 5 rounds. No joke. It's the same size as an M44 or M38 but for whatever reason it kicked 3x harder. 

• Like 1
Ramjo, strangely enough I've never had an affinity for the straight pull rifles. The little Steyrs look like a monster to shoot. They hardest shooting rifle I ever bought milsurp wise was a 91/59. It hurt so bad I traded it after 5 rounds. No joke. It's the same size as an M44 or M38 but for whatever reason it kicked 3x harder. 

Interesting! Those 59s are high dollar!

11 hours ago, Ramjo said:

It didnt just hurt after shooting....the first round I fired there was immediate physical pain in the shoulder. The stock was made of a lighter colored wood....i wondered if it was way way lighter than a normal stock. I never figured it out but each of the five rounds were excruciatingly painful. It looked like a new rifle too but holy crap it hurt. I got rid of that pretty quick. 

Interesting! Those 59s are high dollar!

• 1 month later...
On June 20, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Ramjo said:

I'll definitely agree with you on that. I used to have two of the little monsters, but got rid of one since I didn't shoot either of them very much. I have an eclectic collection of milsurp bolt guns, including Mausers and Mosins. My favorites are probably my Enfields, followed closely by my Swedes, but I enjoy shooting them all (some in smaller doses) except for that little monster Steyr M95 carbine. That is a brutal beast to shoot without a shooting pad, so I always strap a thick shooting pad on before even thinking about shooting it.