Remington 700 from the 70's ..No Bolt

DUKETN

Hey guys i have a question about a rifle ..I work qith a guy having financial trouble and wants to sale the rifle 40 bucks....I know the missing bolt will run me 450.00 +   I would like to help him out but not really sure if a older better quality Remington is worth the cost to dishout so much for a bolt vs getting a new one instead ... I need some help on this one guys,not sure what to do..

Yes it is 30-06 ....From my understanding from what Remington told the seller, He would need to send the rifle to them and hand fit the bolt to it.....I just figured a mass produced rifle I could just order bolt and have gun smith fit it if its not very smooth.....I appreciate the help....I just did not want to add a another project gun to collection unless it was worth it..

DUKE... The bolt does, indeed, have to be fitted to the action... I would see if a local gunsmith might be able to obtain and fit a bolt, ta save ya from having to send it back to Remington...

leroy

• Like 1

For $40, you might see how much the stock is selling for. You might cover yout $40 investment right there. Of course buying a used bolt or other parts gun to cannabilize might be an option if the local Smith can fit it.

I always wonder how people lose things like the bolt. Never makes sense to me.

7 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

For $40, you might see how much the stock is selling for. You might cover yout $40 investment right there. Of course buying a used bolt or other parts gun to cannabilize might be an option if the local Smith can fit it.

I always wonder how people lose things like the bolt. Never makes sense to me.

I once saw a guy walk up to the Walmart counter with a bolt in his hand from a centerfire rifle, and told the clerk something was wrong with it. The clerk said "no problem". He pulled the bolt of of the display model and handed to him.:eek:

I wonder how that ever turned out.

Just now, gregintenn said:

I once saw a guy walk up to the Walmart counter with a bolt in his hand from a centerfire rifle, and told the clerk something was wrong with it. The clerk said "no problem". He pulled the bolt of of the display model and handed to him.:eek:

I wonder how that ever turned out.

Just go to prove the geniuses they have at the Wal-Mart gun counter .... and a good portion of the idiots that buy there.

Maybe that bolt did not lodge itself in that guy's face....maybe.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Just go to prove the geniuses they have at the Wal-Mart gun counter .... and a good portion of the idiots that buy there.

Maybe that bolt did not lodge itself in that guy's face....maybe.

Yeah....I felt sort of bad after I watched him leave. This was a long time ago. I rarely ever go to Wal Mart anymore. I'm much happier now.

1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

Yeah....I felt sort of bad after I watched him leave. This was a long time ago. I rarely ever go to Wal Mart anymore. I'm much happier now.

I still cruise through keeping an eye on ammo now and again. I have looked at guns there, but not ever bought.  As far as regular stuff, I decline going every chance I get.

The only reason I know of people removing bolts is as some kind of security measure, you know less tempting to those who might have sticky fingers.

Being the suspicious type I would be very suspicious of a rifle without its bolt for $40.

• Like 3
On 6/19/2017 at 7:36 PM, frankmako said:

get a local leo to run the numbers before you buy.  it just takes a phone call. 

Maybe. I've gotten the impression that most won't even do it unless you bring the gun in personally, as they of course want to take it if it is indeed hot.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Maybe. I've gotten the impression that most won't even do it unless you bring the gun in personally, as they of course want to take it if it is indeed hot.

- OS

Unless you have a personal friend that can do it, everyone I have talked to has to take temporary possession of it before they will run it. If it's stolen, the keep it.

• Like 1

If LEOs enter a query into NCIS or TCIS and it comes back as stolen, they have to answer as to how they came by the number entered and where is the item this number belongs to.  This applies to any stolen item be it a car, gun, electronic etc.  Only makes sense they would want to have it in possession or available in the event of a hit.  I agree, I would get it checked before purchase.

On 06/19/2017 at 7:48 PM, Ronald_55 said:

So what is this guy's story in why the bolt is missing?

It was actually a post64 model 70....I know its not hot..his grandfather lost it on his farm...he always took his bolt out when not in use....not my habits..but each his own...his grandfather past and my coworker was givin the tools and equipment....I wonder if he got the tractor with no motor haha...

10 hours ago, DUKETN said:

It was actually a post64 model 70....I know its not hot..his grandfather lost it on his farm...he always took his bolt out when not in use....not my habits..but each his own...his grandfather past and my coworker was givin the tools and equipment....I wonder if he got the tractor with no motor haha...

Maybe the grandfather removed the axe head from the handles when not in use.

Somewhere some guy thought, "what is this"when he found the bolt, then said "must be junk" and tossed it. :wall:

• Like 1