Stop by Cracker Barrel when the SHTF

Had to waited around at a Cracker Barrel today. Anyone else noticed how many useful things they have hung from the walls and ceiling? I know most would need a good oiling or sharpening, but axes, pitchforks, scythe, and knives are there. Plus a ton of churns and other "household" items that would be in demand if we reverted to the 19th century.

I just think it pays to keep your eyes open. I had looked before, but a lot I used to see there seemed on its last leg or bad reproductions. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

LMAO 

Don't come to my place after the SHTF looking for good reading materials! You'll have nothing, and I'll have a nice collection of 1920's men's fashion advertisements. I'll just turn you away and go back to working on my tails and top hat ensemble.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Don't come to my place after the SHTF looking for good reading materials! You'll have nothing, and I'll have a nice collection of 1920's men's fashion advertisements. I'll just turn you away and go back to working on my tails and top hat ensemble.

Oh crap... now someone has to do a tactical top hat and tails! Be surviving in STYLE! Lol

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2017 at 9:02 AM, monkeylizard said:

I call dibs on the framed magazine covers.

I call dibs on the black powder shotgun.  I have been told (by someone who has worked there for years) that every, single Cracker Barrel has an old (antique) long gun of some type hanging over the fireplace or somewhere else in the restaurant.  One in particular that I am thinking of has a nice, solid looking, muzzle-loader SxS shotgun.  Non functional?  Maybe but it isn't like making it functional would be all that complex.  I am thinking that a few hand tools, likely also hanging somewhere on the wall or from the ceiling, would be sufficient to accomplish the task.  It would probably be a lot easier than trying to build a good one from scratch.  I have plenty of firearms, of course but in a long term or TEOTWAWKI event I think that eventually having a muzzle loading shotgun could come in very handy.  If caps are unavailable if nothing else maybe it could be converted to a matchlock setup or similar.

Edited by JAB

Just know that you won't be fixing up that shotgun in style because you won't know what to wear to be a stylish man on the go.....I mean seriously.....without my magazine covers and pages, you'll probably do something stupid like wear a fedora with a dinner jacket. Or worse, wingtip shoes with a tuxedo!

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, monkeylizard said:

Here's a sneak peak at what my Post-Cracker-Barrel-Raid survival commune might look like. . . on Casual Fridays, naturally

downton_abbey_hunting_0.jpg

Looks great. I can barter you a bunch of food I grow with the farm implements. Be just like civilized society.

I am thinking my trading clothes would look more like this:

97efa4d743d276c0fe4afb8516bdf5ab--post-apocalittico-post-apocalypse.jpg.43bb8126e0266dc6f33e08e404e451b0.jpg  or 9fe5fb3c65e9ba6136cd1ec4c6f2078d--on-change-post-apocalypse.jpg.1e1160a05cb68376dbdc80eace73dbab.jpg

Can never be too careful of those dogs.

Just now, MacGyver said:

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt when the walk into that barn at the end of Twister when they go into Cracker Barrel?  I always feel like something is about to fall on my head.  

Like a rusty saw blade?  :lol:

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Yep.  Some crosscut saw falling on my head while I'm taking my kid to the bathroom. Because one thing is constant at Cracker Barrel - that stuff goes through his colon like a freight train.  

The secret is prunes....in everything...lol

36 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

See, everyone. this is what happens when you go straight for the farm implements and skip over the important documents like my magazine covers and pages. Your belly's full, but you look like a homeless crack-head.

Aint nobody got time fo dat!

I call the look practical. And with an AK or 12ga to back it up, no one would say otherwise.

So when you are you guys serving hot dogs? You must get might hungry sewing your 3 piece suits and blocking hats.

On 8/18/2017 at 4:21 PM, monkeylizard said:

Here's a sneak peak at what my Post-Cracker-Barrel-Raid survival commune might look like. . . on Casual Fridays, naturally

downton_abbey_hunting_0.jpg

Only if you let those of us who raid the shotguns into your group and give us some stylish threads!

I love that one dog in the pic.  You've got what appears to be a Lab with a ready-to-please look on its face, a couple of regal looking Spaniels and then that one dog that looks like it just simply doesn't give a damn.  It looks cranky and grouchy, like it would just as soon pee on those well-dressed legs as look at the people attached to them.

Edited by JAB
6 minutes ago, JAB said:

then that one dog that looks like it just simply doesn't give a damn.  It looks cranky and grouchy, like it would just as soon pee on those well-dressed legs as look at the people attached to them.

Looks like Benji to me. 

18 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Bring a few packets of their strawberry jam and you're in.

No problem.  I don't care much for strawberry so I can save all of that for bartering.  I may try to score some apple butter, grape jelly and blackberry jam for myself.