Ability to track stolen firearms

Hi TGO crew,

I have a question to pose. With OCR (optical character recognition) tech out there and the dark web where people buy and sell stolen goods, wouldn't it be awesome if there was a way for people to look up lost or stolen firearms using the serial number and have a system that could search images in those dark web sites for the serial number on uploaded images by the thives?

Was thinking about this and wondered if it existed, and if it didn't - whether or not we'd want a way to run searches.

Most of the time the police will take a report and check local pawn shops, and that's it...but what if you could do the search and give the info to law enforcement?

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problems I see are:

Most of the dark web sites are not publically known/accessible.

I would think the number of guns that are posted with sn in the pic would be very few.

From reading, most of the stuff sold in this black market is information or large batches of drugs. There have been a few cases of mail order home delivery sellers of drugs, but I have a feeling they do not last long. Too easy to get caught shipping or receiving.

I read that a very popular way to move stolen goods, including guns, is that different groups travel to meet and do a criminal swap meet deal. Then take the items back to their area, usually a different state, for sale. That means unless the report makes it above state level, it never gets seen in the other area. Also, unless it is a distinct or rare item, they can sell it on a classifieds site to an individual and the sn never gets checked.

The Feds should allow citizens to do a gun check for stolen. Just think how many stolen guns would turn up if we had access to that info. I believe Florida does this (with all kinds of stolen property) but of course it only lists stuff stolen within the state.

It will happen eventually.

Knowing a cop or going to the PD is the best way right now. Of course if it comes back stolen you will have to turn it over or say where you got the information. Which is only right.

2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

The Feds should allow citizens to do a gun check for stolen. Just think how many stolen guns would turn up if we had access to that info. I believe Florida does this (with all kinds of stolen property) but of course it only lists stuff stolen within the state.

It will happen eventually.

Knowing a cop or going to the PD is the best way right now. Of course if it comes back stolen you will have to turn it over or say where you got the information. Which is only right.

When I was a LEO I had no problems with running a serial number if it was requested. In 5.5 years it only happened once.

And for the OP, it's called the dark web for a reason. You have to know the specific gateway IP Address and security measures.