Advice for fishing the Nolichucky River

Will be camping w/ the Family at David Crockett's Birthplace State Park next week which is right on the Nolichucky River (riverside campsite, too.)

Any advice for plying those waters? What are conditions like? Muddy/Rocky? Fast river or slow? Worms and a bobber? What kind of fish are in there?

Thanks!

- Kevin

You will be about 14 miles from our place. Never camped there or fished but it is a nice campgrounds and park, been several times.

They are reconfiguring the park and a lot of the old timers in the area don't like it. I don't know if it will be an improvement going forward or not so I just stay out of the arguments. Did go down a couple of times a few months ago to watch them build a new log cabin over a long weekend using old style tools and techniques all in period dress.

Used to have family picnics there back when I was growing up in that area.  Never fished it, have heard it's a popular place for jet boats and kayaks, float tubes, etc. but don't know for sure.  

Edited by jpx2rk
14 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Thanks! Sat. pics make it look kinda small for boats and jetski's, I just hope there's a few bass in there. Make that $34 license worth it! :cheers:

- K

Mac....

Back in the old days, i did some looking and estimating on the Nolichucky... The river is beautiful, but shallow... It's very sandy, due to dumping sand tailings from an old mica (...i think... old timers sydrome...) mining operation over in NC that was in operation for over 100 years... We looked at dredging the sand from the river to clean up the problems with river depth... The old Nolichucky Dam is now de-commissioned due to the build up of sand in the sluices and turbine intakes... Lotsa sand bars and shallow water all the way to the dam... The good news is that it's all beautiful... That's why the kayakers and the jet ski guys like it so much... 

leroy

Edited by leroy
3 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Thanks Leroy. Canoe-worthy? How fast is the current? I may put in up-stream, but I'm too dang old to paddle upstream very far or very strong, LOL!

- K

It's definitely canoe worthy... The territories are beautiful above the dam... Current is lazy... Ya shouldn't have much trouble movin around in the canoe... It's truly a beautiful place...

Have fun...

leroy