Wow! 2-mile sniper shot!

1 hour ago, CZ9MM said:

Technical answer: The bullet.

However, 10/10 points for the joke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure?  Standard .50 BMG is subsonic before it goes 2000 yards so that "Sorry" could have gotten there first, eh?

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

Are you sure?  Standard .50 BMG is subsonic before it goes 2000 yards so that "Sorry" could have gotten there first, eh?

Ohh.. a physics problem!

Fun fact:  Did you know there are only 11 people certified in the state of Tennessee to teach physics at the high school level?

Maybe the Canadians are better at math?

That's a hard take on the classic 'two trains leave the station at the same time' problem.  That bullet is moving way faster than the speed of sound out of the barrel and likely gets enough of a head start that the sound doesn't catch up - but kudos to anyone who shows their work...

Second fun fact:  If you can solve that problem and pass the Praxis, you're a unicorn and can go to any school you want to teach in. And, you'll likely have no problem coming up with interesting problems for your final exam.

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Ohh.. a physics problem!

Fun fact:  Did you know there are only 11 people certified in the state of Tennessee to teach physics at the high school level?

That's a hard take on the classic 'two trains leave the station at the same time' problem.  That bullet is moving way faster than the speed of sound out of the barrel and likely gets enough of a head start that the sound doesn't catch up - but kudos to anyone who shows their work...

Second fun fact:  If you can solve that problem and past the Praxis, you're a unicorn and can go to any school you want to teach in. And, you'll likely have no problem coming up with interesting problems for your final exam.

I thought it might be a good problem for someone so inclined to work out. ;)

I'm not that guy. :lol:  

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Ohh.. a physics problem!

Second fun fact:  If you can solve that problem and past the Praxis, you're a unicorn and can go to any school you want to teach in. And, you'll likely have no problem coming up with interesting problems for your final exam.

Well lets see. 2+2 = 22 right?..........................:doh:

25 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Ohh.. a physics problem!

Seriously? That's depressing.  Need to change "fun fact" to "Another issue we need to address in TN".  Secondary concern: How many other subjects are suffering as much or worse than physics?

4 minutes ago, Sam1 said:

Seriously? That's depressing.  Need to change "fun fact" to "Another issue we need to address in TN".  Secondary concern: How many other subjects are suffering as much or worse than physics?

Geography, History, English, etc.

• Admin Team
1 hour ago, Sam1 said:

I know there are several universities in the state that, of course still teach physics courses for engineering students, but haven't had an actual physics major in years.

Jobs are plentiful right now, but a BS coupled with passing the Praxis in physics would land someone in a pretty secure job that still has a pension.

• Admin Team
2 minutes ago, peejman said:

My 9th grade physics teacher was the only teacher in the system with a PhD. 

You probably got the sciences in the order they should be taught - physics, chemistry, biology.

I got them the other way around - biology, chemistry, physics.

My physics teacher's name was "coach."  For the love of me, I can't remember his actual name.  Needless to say, freshman year calculus-based physics in engineering school was a steep learning curve.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

That is the natural order of a proper education.  Get a grounding in the tangible, understandable way of things then progrgress to obscure, befuddling codes and formulas.  

• Admin Team

I can see the logic in that argument - and I'm sure some curricula were originally based on that reasoning.

That said, if I were going to teach it to my kids, I'd start with the rules that govern the universe, build in chemistry and then take both of those into biology.

That said, today's student isn't really prepared to take physics or chemistry earlier in their academic careers.  They don't have the math for it.  Even a trigonometry-based physics curriculum is going to be out in front of where most freshman are from a mathematical perspective.

I guess we could flip the whole thing up on end and teach the math as we come to it in the sciences...

7 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Serious question: why is that?

The short answer, and the main reason, is the weight to benefit analysis. A military Barret loaded out for use is almost 35lbs, and we found that it had the same or worse first round hit probability on a humanoid sized target at 1200m then a similarly loaded out MK13 (.300winmag) weighing 14.5lbs. This was using the relevant  military available match ammo for each. While the two calibers would be an apples to oranges comparison in regards to hard target interdiction, the terminal effects achieved at that range and closer were effectively the same, and for a 20lbs weight saving (before even factoring in the spare ammunition carried). While 20 extra pounds might not seem like much carrying it from one's vehicle to the firing line at the range, it adds up a whole lot carrying one dismounted for miles over mountainous terrain.

For a more apples to apples comparison, the MK15 (tac50 which the Canadian used) fully loaded out is almost 8lbs lighter than the Barret, and a hell of a lot more accurate with every type of ammo tested, to include API which is great for hardened targets. With the 750grn Hornady A-Max and some of the 750grn CNC turned projectiles (many of which won't cycle correctly in the magazine fed Barret) the MK15 is truely a tack driver......big fricken tacks. 

• Like 3

That sounds similar to the comparison back years ago with the BAR(Browning Automatic Rifle) It weigh 19.6 lbs not counting ammo and is was mostly considered a two man gun back then. One carried and shot and the other wore the belts of ammo magazines for the gun. There were some guys that did carry gun and ammo belts but not many from what I have read.

18 hours ago, MacGyver said:

You probably got the sciences in the order they should be taught - physics, chemistry, biology.

My physics teacher's name was "coach."  For the love of me, I can't remember his actual name.  Needless to say, freshman year calculus-based physics in engineering school was a steep learning curve.

I was fortunate to have him as a teacher. While he was also the wrestling coach, his class wasn't the typical "coach's class", especially when you were one of his wrestlers.

He made it interesting without getting too bogged down in the math.  We did lots of experiments and demonstrations of various concepts, which helped me a lot. Pure sodium in a beaker of water was particularly memorable. :) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2017 at 2:13 PM, Chucktshoes said:

"Sources say a member of Joint Task Force 2 killed an Islamic State insurgent with a McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle while firing from a high-rise during an operation that took place within the last month in Iraq. It took under 10 seconds to hit the target."

I wonder which would have got there first. The bullet or the faint echo of "sorry"

Contrary to popular belief, we aren't that polite. Besides he was probably busy, scanning for another target.

Judging by the huge increment in distance, this shot may stand for a while; all the other five were fairly closely grouped in time span and only represented smallish increments in distance.