What Is It - Groundhog Size with a Long Bushy Tail

Jeb48

Wish I had a picture but it didn't stay around long enough. Was about the size of a groundhog but more brown and had a long bushy brown tail not short like a groundhog. Sorta looked like a squirrel on steroids. I have looked online but can't find anything that lives in East TN that matches what I saw.

Eastern Fox Squirrel ??

Largest North American Squirrel

Above we mentioned that the Eastern Fox Squirrel is the largest tree squirrel in native to North America. So just how big are these furry rodents? The average size of this particular squirrel is about 45 to 70 cm (17.7 to 27.6″) in length…and this is not counting their 33 cm (13″) long tail. If you stop for a moment and think about this (and I recommend that you do), you will quickly realize that a squirrel measuring over 3 feet (if you include their tail) is incredibly large, especially if they are as creepy looking as the Eastern Grey Squirrel (I don’t know why but they creep me out). Interestingly enough, these gigantic squirrels are still very adept to living a life in the trees, even if they spend most of their time on the ground. I guess when you are this large you can choose where you want to live without having to take slack from anyone or anything.

http://www.wild-facts.com/2013/wild-fact-134-a-snowy-social-life-eastern-fox-squirrel/

8 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Wish I had a picture but it didn't stay around long enough. Was about the size of a groundhog but more brown and had a long bushy brown tail not short like a groundhog. Sorta looked like a squirrel on steroids. I have looked online but can't find anything that lives in East TN that matches what I saw.

Was it in a tree, field or near water? Might help narrow the search knowing where it was located when you saw it...........jmho

I heard a noise in the shrubs and figured it was one of the lizards we have all over the place but then noticed this long bushy brown tail sticking out from under the shrub. I walked around a bit trying ti scare it out and it ran along side of the house to another bush. I repeated and it ran across the sidewalk and under the porch.

I would say 8-10lbs. Other than the color (brownish red) and the long tail, I would have said groundhog (woodchuck depending where you are at). Maybe just a weird groundhog or a radiated red squirrel.

Thanks for the suggestions.

14 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I heard a noise in the shrubs and figured it was one of the lizards we have all over the place but then noticed this long bushy brown tail sticking out from under the shrub. I walked around a bit trying ti scare it out and it ran along side of the house to another bush. I repeated and it ran across the sidewalk and under the porch.

I would say 8-10lbs. Other than the color (brownish red) and the long tail, I would have said groundhog (woodchuck depending where you are at). Maybe just a weird groundhog or a radiated red squirrel.

Thanks for the suggestions.

8 to 10 lbs rules out a Fox Squirrel, I have bagged a bunch of those in my life for the freezer and some really big ones but I think about 3 lbs is the biggest I put in the freezer. I'm sure you would have recognized it if it was house cat so would almost rule that out also. I found this video that might help with some insight.

Hope this helps!!!

• Like 1

Not a cat, not a groundhog unless it is a hybrid/mutant variety. Not in the weasel family. 

Guess I will never know unless I get a chance to see it again and get a photo.

Thanks for all the suggestions

• 1 year later...

Hi Jeb48, did you ever figure out what was this animal you saw? Your description is nearly Identical to an animal I saw yesterday, here in a Maryland forest. My internet search turned up all the same ideas but no certain match. Squirrel on steroids is a great description. Squirrel groundhog hybrid is my first reaction. But I'm still dumbfounded.