Looking at a Sig P229

res308

Talked to a man this evening about a Sig P229 he has for sale. It is the older non-railed 229.

It has 3 mags with it, and he has Crimson Trace laser grips on it. 

UNFORTUNATELY!!!!! it's in .40!

Price wise he's offering me a pretty good deal on it (I guess), but I told him I'd research and try to find a conversion barrel for it (hopefully selling the CT grips to offset the cost), and we'd go from there.

Couple of questions: 

1) I don't want the CT grips, so how hard would it be for me to move them, and what should they go for?

2) Do you have any recommendations for a good conversion barrel?

3) Is it worth getting the gun and having to do this?

The early 229s were not available in 9mm. Finding a conversion may not be easy. I know some that use a 40 slide with 9mm mags and barrel, but I wouldn't trust it to be reliable in that configuration. 

For what it's worth mine has 20k or more through it and the only part ever replaced is the recoil spring. 

I'm not a laser fan so can't offer advice on the CT grips.

CRAP! The more research I do, the more confused I get concerning what barrel, etc. to use for what era of slides. It's looking like by the time I buy a barrel and whatever else, I'd have as much or more in it than if I found a decent deal on a 9mm 229. Thinking this may not be feasible.

CT will sell for $125?

Conversion to what? Just get yourself a OEM .357 Sig barrel and away you go. I have an older German 229 in .40 and it is a great gun. They do carry like bricks though, even being lightweight. 

How much does the guy want for it?

• Like 1
On 6/29/2017 at 0:36 AM, jh225 said:

CT will sell for $125?

Conversion to what? Just get yourself a OEM .357 Sig barrel and away you go. I have an older German 229 in .40 and it is a great gun. They do carry like bricks though, even being lightweight. 

How much does the guy want for it?

To answer your question, I intended to convert it to 9mm. I should've stated which conversion barrel. He wants $600 for it, I guess because of the CT grips, and he's not willing to keep them. I have decided against it myself. Told him I'd put the word out. I haven't decided yet, but I may just get another G19, or scratch my itch and replace the 1911 I traded off. Unless I find a smoking deal on a newer M11-A1.

The p229 and p226 handle the 40s&w catridge wonderfully. Otherwise welcome to one of my biggest gripes about Sig; they have too many different variations.   Unless that gun is prestine, I don't think $600 w/crimson trace is that smoking hot of a deal.  There are tons of p229 40's out there below $500, but you do have to know what you are buying.

He offered it to me at a cheaper price, but that's because we know each other. But the price he offered, in the "not that great " condition, is not that great of a deal after all, and especially not at 600. (I'm saying this after I finally got to look at it in person). 

The .40 recoil doesn't other me, I'm just not recoil sensitive. My problem is that I love 9mm, 45acp, 38 special, 10mm, and all the magnum cartridges, but I have always absolutely despised 40. Could have something to do with it being foisted upon me 22-odd years ago as a new cop, and being stuck with it ever since. Never have liked the round itself at all, but I realize that is just my opinion. So even at the price point he offered it to me, I just don't think it'd be cost effective for me. And I really shouldn't have been thinking about a different gun purchase right now anyway and getting myself off track. But like I told a friend of mine a few minutes ago, it just seems to be some kind of sickness gun nuts have. 

Edited by res308

Over the past couple of years I have consolidated calibers and have culled the .40 from my safes. I am NOT  here to bash a caliber, just being realistic. If they don't get shot, eventually hey get gone. 10 mm has taken its place in my safe with more muscle. I actually have sold every Sig I used to own :eek:. Too many better choices for ME. But that's just me. Unfortunately I got a soured taste for Sig and I cannot find a reason to go back. I think there are better choices. Let the flame begin.....:dirty:

Heck, anybody heard of CZ lately........................:cheers:

Edited by sybo

Can't knock you at all for going to 10mm. Except for having to feed yet another caliber I've thought about doing that myself.  

I backed off that offer anyway. I do like the feel of a Sig, but there's too much doubt and confusion with me as to which model I would want. 

I've also thought about going back to a 1911, but I don't know at this point if that'll ever happen. 

Just running with the G19 for now.  

There are plenty of law enforcement P229s in 9mm for under $500.  The only caution I can think of is to not order one with a DAK trigger unless you specifically want that.  That DAK trigger hasn't been that popular.