YouTube stunt with gun leaves boyfriend dead in Halstad, Minnesota

• Authorized Vendor

http://www.fox9.com/news/264375166-story

Around 6:30 p.m. Monday night, Norman County sheriff’s deputies responded to the 500 block of U.S. Highway 75 on a report of a shooting. Live-saving efforts were made and a medical helicopter was called, but 22-year-old Pedro Ruiz was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ruiz’s girlfriend, 19-year-old Monalisa Perez, has been charged with second-degree manslaughter. According to the criminal complaint, Perez said Ruiz wanted to make a YouTube video of her shooting into a book held to his chest, and he believed the book would stop the bullet. Ruiz convinced Perez to participate in the stunt by showing her a different book he had shot, and the bullet did not go all the way through.

Perez told investigators she fired a 50 caliber handgun from about one foot away while Ruiz held the book to his chest. The book did not stop the bullet, and Ruiz was killed by a single gunshot wound to his chest.

Read more.

• Moderators
Just when I think the stupidity of people cannot surprise me any further.
Just how low on common sense do you have to be to ask someone to shoot you with a 50 caliber of any kind?

The kind where you are so hungry for famedom that you will do anything, risk anything, to achieve it.

I’m more curious about the book he shot beforehand that stopped the bullet. Did he shoot it with the .50?

I’m mixed on this one. Should she be tried? Depending on how much firearm knowledge she possesses, and seeing as to how she objected at first but then he persuaded her that it was safe, I feel like the largest percentage of blame falls on him. He lost his life, she lives with it for the rest of hers. She has a child and another on the way. A good, expensive lawyer may be able to get her off on this one.

It would be a difficult jury to be on in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

To me this is a great example of peer pressure. no matter how hard someone tries to convince you of anything. If your GUT says don't then DON'T. Her instinct was right she chose not to follow it. She will have to live with that for the rest of her life in or out of prison, with or without a record. Her life has been changed and can't be made whole again.

He was an idiot, or a coward looking for someone else to shoot him. either way he doesn't have to live with anything now...

Darwin telling us all something here.

I agree with CZ9MM.  She probably needs to face some kind of charges but I would think 'negligence' or some such - something less than manslaughter, anyhow - would be more appropriate.  If I were on a jury I don't know that I would agree to convinct on manslaughter - at least not given the details that are currently available.  Truthfully, I'd be largely tempted to give him a Darwin award (except it appears that he has already polluted the next generation of the gene pool), give her the assist and let it go.

That said, in a society where a woman can be found guilty of manslaughter for her boyfriend's suicide - s u i c i d e - because she 'talked him into it' I guess we have to have someone to blame for Ruiz's stupidity other than Ruiz.

Edited by JAB
  • Moderators
I agree with CZ9MM.  She probably needs to face some kind of charges but I would think 'negligence' or some such - something less than manslaughter, anyhow - would be more appropriate.  If I were on a jury I don't know that I would agree to convinct on manslaughter - at least not given the details that are currently available.  Truthfully, I'd be largely tempted to give him a Darwin award (except it appears that he has already polluted the next generation of the gene pool), give her the assist and let it go.
That said, in a society where a woman can be found guilty of manslaughter for her boyfriend's suicide - s u i c i d e - because she 'talked him into it' I guess we have to have someone to blame for Ruiz's stupidity other than Ruiz.

To me that is different. The girl you speak of repeatedly and knowingly pushed her boyfriend to off himself. Obviously he played a part but she constantly nagged and manipulated him day by day to do it. That’s intent.

In the Ruiz story you have two folks that do dumb stuff for fame. One of them convinces the other that something is safe “Look, I’ve already tested it. This is going to be awesome!”, and then that person died because it wasn’t safe.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CZ9MM said:

To me that is different. The girl you speak of repeatedly and knowingly pushed her boyfriend to off himself. Obviously he played a part but she constantly nagged and manipulated him day by day to do it. That’s intent.

In the Ruiz story you have two folks that do dumb stuff for fame. One of them convinces the other that something is safe “Look, I’ve already tested it. This is going to be awesome!”, and then that person died because it wasn’t safe.

Disagree, the suicide verdict was ridiculous. They are going to start charging "bullies" with manslaughter next.  Except in the case of "inciting a riot" or "inciting violence", those are the only legal forms I know of that can apply "legally". He killed himself, she did not have any part of the action. She could have been charged with "inciting violence", but I doubt her actions fall under that scrutiny. He should be held liable for his decision. There is no "legal" application for that girl with manslaughter except what the judge made up.

In this case she made a decision and HER direct actions led to death. Manslaughter is absolutely the right charge and almost the definition in this case.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
Disagree, the suicide verdict was ridiculous. They are going to start charging "bullies" with manslaughter next.  Except in the case of "inciting a riot" or "inciting violence", those are the only legal forms I know of that can apply "legally". He killed himself, she did not have any part of the action. She could have been charged with "inciting violence", but I doubt her actions fall under that scrutiny. He should be held liable for his decision. There is no "legal" application for that girl with manslaughter except what the judge made up.
In this case she made a decision and HER direct actions led to death. Manslaughter is absolutely the right charge and almost the definition in this case.

I only see the two cases as one having malicious intent (convincing/bullying someone to suicide) vs stupidity/negligence (He convinces her that shooting into the book would stop the bullet).

For further understanding, do you believe that the girl that convinces her boyfriend deserved nothing or simply deserved less?

Furthermore, do you believe that someone that routinely, through psychological manipulation and intimidation, convinces people to off themselves is not to some extent a “serial killer”? Maybe not by the textbook or dictionary definition, but I don’t think you’d agree that they are innocent of their doings either.

2 hours ago, CZ9MM said:

To me that is different. The girl you speak of repeatedly and knowingly pushed her boyfriend to off himself. Obviously he played a part but she constantly nagged and manipulated him day by day to do it. 

I never heard that she repeatedly told him to do it.  You make it sound like he wasn't even thinking about it and she convinced him.  You should watch this video. 

The story I read said friends and family members knew he was going to do this and they tried to talk him out of it. It also said friends and neighbors watched as this reckless act was being committed, but no one called 911 until the shot was fired. I find that amazing.

If he wanted to be famous, and someone called the cops and told them what he was going to do, they would have confiscated his weapons. The confiscation would have been the talk of the internet. He would be famous….and alive.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

I only see the two cases as one having malicious intent (convincing/bullying someone to suicide) vs stupidity/negligence (He convinces her that shooting into the book would stop the bullet).

For further understanding, do you believe that the girl that convinces her boyfriend deserved nothing or simply deserved less?

Furthermore, do you believe that someone that routinely, through psychological manipulation and intimidation, convinces people to off themselves is not to some extent a “serial killer”? Maybe not by the textbook or dictionary definition, but I don’t think you’d agree that they are innocent of their doings either.

Philosophy is not law. Legal phrase for you "hard cases make bad laws" or a nother way of saying, "empathy is bad politics."

Well, so many times we hear the expression that "you can't fix stupid" Well I think in this instance we just saw fixing stupid for the first time, maybe not on her part but definately was fixed on his part.............I would not ask anyone to shoot me in the chest with a BB gun while I was hold up the entire collection of Encyclopedias in front of me................JMHO

As far ask all the people standing around watching. I think that any of them watching and not dialing 911 should be charged as acessories to the shooting..........JMHO again

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

I never heard that she repeatedly told him to do it.  You make it sound like he wasn't even thinking about it and she convinced him.  You should watch this video. 

Didn't take the time to watch that video, may do it later today. With that being said, this is mostly what I base all of my information (and opinions) regarding this story on:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/09/massachusetts-teen-charged-with-encouraging-her-boyfriend-to-commit-suicide.html

You can't think about it. You just have to do it. You said you were gonna do it. Like I don't get why you aren't," Carter allegedly wrote to Roy on the day he died. Carter’s lawyer has denied that she pushed him to kill himself and has asked the judge to dismiss the case.

"You can't keep living this way. You just need to do it like you did the last time and not think about it and just do it, babe," Carter texted him.

While discussing the plan, Carter appears to taunt Roy. "But I bet you're gonna be like 'oh, it didn't work because I didn't tape the tube right or something like that," she wrote. "I bet you're gonna say an excuse like that ... you seem to always have an excuse."

"...his death is my fault like honestly I could have stopped him I was on the phone with him and he got out of the car because it was working and he got scared and I (expletive) told him to get back in ... because I knew he would do it all over again the next day and I couldn't have him live the way he was living anymore I couldn't do it I wouldn't let him," Carter wrote.

Also, this article showing more of their texts:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/07/sick-messages-woman-sent-boyfriend-to-get-boyfriend-to-kill-himself-for-attention-6690531/

Carter: I think your parents know you’re in a really bad place.

I’m not saying they want you to do it but I honestly feel like they can accept it.

They know there is nothing they can do. They’ve tried helping.

Everyone’s tried, but there is a point that comes where there isn’t anything anyone can do to save you, not even yourself.

And you’ve hit that point and I think your parents know you’ve hit that point.

You said your mom saw a suicide thing on your computer and she didn’t say anything.

I think she knows it’s on your mind and she’s prepared for it.

Everyone will be sad for a while but they will get over it and move on.

They won’t be in depression. I won’t let that happen.

They know how sad you are, and they know that you are doing this to be happy and I think they will understand and accept it.

They will always carry you in their hearts.

Conrad: Aww. Thank you, Michelle.

Carter: They will move on for you because they know that’s what you would have wanted.

They know you wouldn’t want them to be sad and depressed and be angry and guilty.

They know you want them to live their lives and be happy.

So they will for you. You’re right. You need to stop thinking about this and just do it because over turning always kills, over thinking.

Conrad: Yeah, it does. I’ve been thinking about it for too long.

Carter: Always smile, and, yeah, you have to just do it. You have everything you need. There is no way you can fail. Tonight is the night. It’s now or never.

Carter: [D]on’t be scared. You already made this decision and if you don’t do it tonight you’re gonna be thinking about it all the time and stuff all the rest of your life and be miserable.

You’re finally going to be happy in heaven. No more pain. No more bad thoughts and worries.

You’ll be free. It’s okay to be scared and it’s normal. I mean, you’re about to die.

I would be concerned if you weren’t scared, but I know how bad you want this and how bad you want to be happy.

You have to face your fears for what you want.

Carter: “If you don’t think about it, you won’t think about failing.

You’ll just do it and then thinking you’ll succeed.

Conrad: Right. That’s what I’m talking about. I read so much about failed attempts gone wrong that it’s gotten me discouraged.

Carter: Yeah, exactly, so stop doing that. There is more success than there are failures.

Conrad: Are you kidding me?

Carter: You have to look at it that way and people only fail because they have the same mindset as you. Thinking they’ll fail.

Conrad: I really want to believe you.

Carter: Why don’t you.

Carter: You can’t think about it. You just have to do it. You said you were gonna do it. Like I don’t get why you aren’t.

Conrad: I don’t get it either. I don’t know.

Carter: So I guess you aren’t gonna do it then. All that for nothing. I’m just confused. Like you were so ready and determined.

Conrad: I am gonna eventually. I really don’t know what I’m waiting for but I have everything lined up.

Carter: No, you’re not, Conrad. Last night was it. You kept pushing it off and you say you’ll do it, but you never do. It’s always gonna be that way if you don’t take action. You’re just making it harder on yourself by pushing it off. You just have to do it. Do you want to do it now?

Conrad: Is it too late? I don’t know. It’s already light outside. I’m gonna go back too sleep. Love you. I’ll text you tomorrow.

Carter: No. It’s probably the best time now because everyone is sleeping. Just go somewhere in your truck and no one is really out there right now because it’s an awkward time. If you don’t do it now you’re never gonna do it, and you can say you’ll do it tomorrow, but you probably won’t. Tonight? Love you.

Conrad: Thank you.

Carter: For what. Are you awake?

Conrad: Yes.

Carter: Are you gonna do it today?

Conrad: Yes.

Carter: Like in the day time?

Conrad: Should I?

Carter: Yeah, it’s less suspicious. You won’t think about it as much and you’ll get it over with instead of wait until the night.

Conrad: Yeah then I will. Like where? Like I could go in any enclosed area.

Carter: Go in your truck and drive in a parking lot somewhere, to a park or something. Do it like early. Do it now, like early.

Conrad: Didn’t we say this was suspicious?

Carter: No. I think night is more suspicious … Just do it. It wouldn’t be suspicious and it won’t take long.

Conrad: Okay. I’m taking Holly for a walk.

Carter: Okay.

Conrad: I don’t know why I’m like this.

Carter: Sometimes things happen and we never have the answers why.

Conrad: Like, why am I so hesitant lately. Like two weeks ago I was willing to try everything and now I’m worse, really bad, and I’m LOL not following through. It’s eating me inside.

Carter: You’re so hesitant because you keeping over thinking it and keep pushing it off. You just need to do it, Conrad. The more you push it off, the more it will eat at you. You’re ready and prepared … No more pushing it off. No more waiting.

Conrad: You’re right.

Carter: If you want it as bad as you say you do it’s time to do it today.

Conrad: Yup. No more waiting.

Carter: Okay. I’m serious. Like you can’t even wait ’till tonight. You have to do it when you get back from your walk.

Conrad: Thank you.

Carter: For what?

Conrad: Still being here.

Carter: I would never leave you. You’re the love of my life, my boyfriend. You are my heart. I’d never leave you.

Conrad: Aw.

Carter: I love you.

Conrad: Love you, too.

Carter: When will you be back from your walk?

Conrad: Like, five minutes.

Carter: Okay. So you gonna do it?

Conrad: I guess.

Carter: Well, I want you to be ready and sure. What does that mean?

Conrad: I don’t know. I’m freaking out again. I’m over thinking.

Carter: I thought you wanted to do this. This time is right and you’re ready. You just need to do it. You can’t keep living this way. You just need to do it like you did the last time and not think about it and just do it, babe. You can’t keep doing this every day.

Conrad: I do want to but I’m like freaking for my family I guess. I don’t know.

Carter: Conrad, I told you I’ll take care of them. Everyone will take care of them to make sure they won’t be alone and people will help them get through it. We talked about this and they will be okay and accept it. People who commit suicide don’t think this much. They just could do it.

Conrad: I know. I know. LOL. Thinking just drives me more crazy.

Carter: You just need to do it, Conrad, or I’m gonna get you help. You can’t keep doing this everyday.

Conrad: Okay. I’m gonna do it today.

Carter: You promise?

Conrad: I promise, babe. I have to now.

Carter: Like right now?

Conrad: Where do I go?

Carter: And you can’t break a promise. And just go in a quiet parking lot or something.

Conrad: Okay.

CARTER : Go somewhere you know you won’t get caught. You can find a place. I know you can. Are you doing it now?

Conrad: I’m ready.

Carter: Good because it’s time, babe. You know that. When you get back from the beach you’ve gotta go do it. You’re ready. You’re determined. It’s the best time to do it.

Conrad: Okay, I will.

Carter: Are you back?

Conrad: No more thinking.

Carter: Yes. No more thinking. You need to just do it. No more waiting.

Conrad: On way back. I know where to go now.

Carter: Where?

Conrad: A parking lot. There is going to be no cars there at 9:00. So that’s when I’ll be found.

Carter: Okay, perfect. When will you be home?

Conrad: Ten minutes. Ha ha, that’s perfect.

CARTER : Okay. And, well, yeah, I don’t know.

Conrad: Like, I don’t want to kill anyone else with me.

Carter and Conrad then discuss the method used for the suicide, however Metro have decided not to publish this.

Conrad: I’m home.

Conrad: Ah.

Carter: What?

Conrad: I don’t know. I’m stressing.

Carter: You’re fine. It’s gonna be okay. You just gotta do it, babe. You can’t think about it.

Conrad: Okay. Okay. I got this.

Carter: Yes, you do. I believe in you. Did you delete the messages?

Conrad: Yes. But you’re going to keep messaging me … I’m bringing my sisters for ice cream.

Carter: So will you do it when you get back?

Conrad: Yup, I’ll go right there.

Conrad: Love you.

Carter: I love you so much.

Conrad: (Smiley face).

Carter: 33.

Conrad: Ha ha. What are you doing?

Carter: Nothing really. Just resting.

Conrad: Okay. Ha, ha I’m procrastinating.

Carter: Yeah, ha ha, I know. Are you back?

Conrad: Yup.

Carter: So it’s time?

Conrad: Oh, it’s been time.

Carter: Are you gonna do it now?

Conrad: I just don’t know how to leave them, you know.

Carter: Say you’re gonna go the store or something.

Conrad: Like, I want them to know that I love them.

Carter: They know. That’s one thing they definitely know. You’re over thinking.

Conrad: I know I’m over thinking. I’ve been over thinking for a while now.

Carter: I know. You just have to do it like you said. Are you gonna do it now?

Conrad: I still haven’t left yet, ha ha.

Carter: Why?

Conrad: Leaving now.

Carter: Okay. You can do this.

Conrad: Okay. I’m almost there.

Now, this is just my opinion, but that's a severely screwed up story. Perhaps other people would give her the supportive girlfriend of the year award. I don't necessarily think that she should have been charged as if she herself killed him, but she herself needed some form of help herself. 

20 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The story I read said friends and family members knew he was going to do this and they tried to talk him out of it. It also said friends and neighbors watched as this reckless act was being committed, but no one called 911 until the shot was fired. I find that amazing.

If he wanted to be famous, and someone called the cops and told them what he was going to do, they would have confiscated his weapons. The confiscation would have been the talk of the internet. He would be famous….and alive.

So it sounds like there was a bunch of stupid to go around. I'm still wondering about the book that he showed her to prove it was safe. In my limited testing, even a .22lr will likely go through one book. It's impossible to know what he was thinking, but I almost wonder if he figured he'd get shot but then live, and then thus base his fame off "He's the guy that got shot on camera! Check on the video online!". Either that or he decided he'd die himself (either so that he'd have someone else do it for him, or that his girlfriend would reach famedom from this event).

19 minutes ago, Smith said:

Philosophy is not law. Legal phrase for you "hard cases make bad laws" or a nother way of saying, "empathy is bad politics."

Philosophy isn't law. I'm not a lawyer, just an internet commentator:)

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

Words can't kill? Gee, ask the Germans about that. 

Funny how this video is about "free speech" and this girl didn't do anything wrong. Yet I suspect that she has different feelings about speech she doesn't like on college campuses or political speech, etc. this whole video makes me scream "double standard".

I don't see the connection with a dead idiot, and stupid girl that was talked into shooting him.

2 hours ago, Smith said:

Disagree, the suicide verdict was ridiculous. They are going to start charging "bullies" with manslaughter next.  Except in the case of "inciting a riot" or "inciting violence", those are the only legal forms I know of that can apply "legally". He killed himself, she did not have any part of the action. She could have been charged with "inciting violence", but I doubt her actions fall under that scrutiny. He should be held liable for his decision.

By that logic, dear ol' Charlie Manson should be out on the street. He never killed anyone. All nine Manson Family murders were committed by others.

There is no "legal" application for that girl with manslaughter except what the judge made up.

Conspiracy to commit murder comes to mind, but I don't know if that can apply in a suicide case.

Just now, monkeylizard said:

By that logic, dear ol' Charlie Manson should be out on the street. He never killed anyone. All nine Manson Family murders were committed by others.

Conspiracy to commit murder comes to mind, but I don't know if that can apply in a suicide case.

Nope, he instructed as an authority figure and for cause. Legal code for that was correct. IMO, and the laws, if you have to go hunt for a law to apply to a case that has no direct law, or invent a correlation to existing law though unprecedented legal interpretation and application ... you are legislating from the bench.  Again my quote from legal theory, "hard cases make bad laws" .

Think about applying the same principle you're trying to use here to the 2nd amendment ... or any other. I actually know what the consensus here is in that regard.

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Sidecarist said:

Funny how this video is about "free speech" and this girl didn't do anything wrong. Yet I suspect that she has different feelings about speech she doesn't like on college campuses or political speech, etc. this whole video makes me scream "double standard".

I don't see the connection with a dead idiot, and stupid girl that was talked into shooting him.

Your suspicions would prove to be unfounded if you were to take the time to find out who Julie Borowski is and what she's about. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

If she'd have only had a 9mm, and he a National Geographic magazine, he'd still be with us today.

:hiding:

If the book stopped the 50 cal or not, I am not sure I want the impact the book would make to my chest. It would be possible to stop your heart if you had any kind of irregularity.

This case makes me wonder if he really wanted to commit suicide but figured the accidental death would still get his family the life insurance. And probably never considered charges being filed against her. I might be a conspiracy theorist sometimes though.

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

If the book stopped the 50 cal or not, I am not sure I want the impact the book would make to my chest. It would be possible to stop your heart if you had any kind of irregularity.

This case makes me wonder if he really wanted to commit suicide but figured the accidental death would still get his family the life insurance. And probably never considered charges being filed against her. I might be a conspiracy theorist sometimes though.

I find that highly improbable given the fact he let someone shoot at him while using a book as redneck body armor.

On the positive it seems Darwin's dry spell is over.